I'm in. TJ is the WAY!

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Our guards get after it. I feel pretty good about our perimeter D between Kalscheur, Brockington, Grill, Tre and Tyrese. I was just glad to see some pride and hustle.

I don't want to bag on Steve but this game made me realize how tired I was of watching that offense. We moved the ball all around in a multitude of ways. We'll definitely need to work on getting the ball up the floor against pressure though.

The ball, and, more importantly, all 5 players moving on offense was incredibly refreshing. Brockington (after seeing him for all of28 minutes) looks like he can get buckets when needed, but the team effort created a lot of opportunities. I hope they can keep it up. Was fun to watch.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
I wasnt able to watch the game, but from the highlights I saw I liked the ball movement. Which is refreshing considering prohm didnt know what that was.

Really hoping TJ can get us some skilled bigs

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah and CoKane

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
So, TJ has the team's attention.

They seem to be following instructions, the ball doesn't stick with any one player and moves with intent from one side to the other quickly, we don't drain the clock by dribbling and then go 1 on 5, we play our man and have help D on the backside and pretty decent recovery when the opposition gets a good rotation or skip pass and they block out pretty decent.

It WAS a lower level team. The Big 12 will be much tougher and we won't look as good and we will get exploited. BUT, I appreciated the organization, the willingness to work together and the hustle at both ends. That alone is a big improvement over last year.

I won't expect a lot and be pleasantly surprised if they get to .500. TJ has my trust for now. The next step is to take it to a level where he wins more than loses and then, ultimately, back to ISU's rightful place in the top 4 of this conference year in an year out.

Londo

Apr 22, 2013
Wisconsin
So much work to do but if they can finish at the rim more consistently, make their free throws and limit turnovers this team can win some games it shouldn't.

Hunter has some serious ups by the way. Can't wait to see him get stronger and start tomahawk dunking when the lane clears for him.

Lastly, Blum is an awesome play by play.
Obviously has a way to go, but it was fun to hear Scott on the call too. He's just getting into it and will only get better, and given the chance I would take both of them on the call for the whole season right now.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
A few thoughts..
  1. It was so awesome being back in Hilton. Even though we were playing a team of that level, the crowd was into it (referees probably helped). The place will be rocking for Oregon State.
  2. Tyrese Hunter is going to be special. The kid is going to make some mistakes as he learns to play at this level but even in his first game he played with poise better than a true freshman.
  3. The way the game was called (and the way we guarded them) made that score what it was. We probably win by 20 but at least cover the spread if we don’t hound them so much. Now, some of the calls were indeed atrocious, but our guys didn’t back down from the game plan defensively.
  4. Effort and intensity will not be an issue for us this year. It was a breath of fresh air watching us on both ends of the floor (minus turnovers which a lot are fixable)
  5. Guard play was great and it *seems* like any of Tyrese, Gabe, or Brockerington are able to get their own shot if they want to.
  6. It was the first game against a weird opponent in a game where the refs weren’t going to allow essentially anything. No one can tell how “good” we are from that game but there were a lot of small things to take away both good and bad. Love that we get to play a team Friday that will allow us to get a much better baseline at this point of the season.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Quietly impressed and optimistic about what we saw out of Enaruna. He reminds me a bit of Nader with his length and his game. Nader was a bit of a late bloomer at ISU. It will be great to get a similar progression from Enaruna going forward.

Reactions: isufbcurt

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
A few thoughts..
  1. It was so awesome being back in Hilton. Even though we were playing a team of that level, the crowd was into it (referees probably helped). The place will be rocking for Oregon State.
  2. Tyrese Hunter is going to be special. The kid is going to make some mistakes as he learns to play at this level but even in his first game he played with poise better than a true freshman.
  3. The way the game was called (and the way we guarded them) made that score what it was. We probably win by 20 but at least cover the spread if we don’t hound them so much. Now, some of the calls were indeed atrocious, but our guys didn’t back down from the game plan defensively.
  4. Effort and intensity will not be an issue for us this year. It was a breath of fresh air watching us on both ends of the floor (minus turnovers which a lot are fixable)
  5. Guard play was great and it *seems* like any of Tyrese, Gabe, or Brockerington are able to get their own shot if they want to.
  6. It was the first game against a weird opponent in a game where the refs weren’t going to allow essentially anything. No one can tell how “good” we are from that game but there were a lot of small things to take away both good and bad. Love that we get to play a team Friday that will allow us to get a much better baseline at this point of the season.

Of course it helps that they won but the bad calls were a great way to force basically everyone to be in tough situations.

Very useful stuff to learn from last night.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I’m on record when TJ was hired that I did not like the hire at all. I had several reasons for that opinion.

However, after watching the game last night, I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw. Still too early to say if it was the right hire, but fundamentally the basketball was 10x better than anything I ever saw out of Prohm’s teams.

We all have to remember that he’s also working with a shell of a roster. We were supposed to have Javan Johnson, Hinson, and Foster too. Do you think that might have helped some? Uhhhh…. yes.

This team will likely not win many games this year IMO, but it doesn’t look like to me that it will be because they aren’t well coached and playing good fundamental basketball…. they just don’t have the horses yet.

As for some individuals….

Hunter- most talented player on the team. He’s special folks.

Brockington- best player on the team. Will lead us in scoring and will be the go-to guy.

Grill- I was impressed with him last night.

Conditt- looks like the same Conditt to me, hope he proves me wrong.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Of course it helps that they won but the bad calls were a great way to force basically everyone to be in tough situations.

Totally agree, having Hunter get in foul trouble and then have to close out a somewhat close game with 4 is extremely valuable to his development. Also Tre Jackson played some good minutes when Hunter was on the bench.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Yeah and from what we’ve been told, TJ is a process and progress type of guy. So a game like that as a coach is going to help out him and the team a ton more than if we were throwing alley oops up 40 in the second half.

• Agree
Reactions: Clonefan23