"I'm just here so I won't get fined."

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
This. He obviously doesn't care about the money. And it's funny to watch the NFL squirm as they try to get him to comply. It's nothing more than entertainment for him, as it should be for us watching. I'm entertained by it, anyway.
Watching what Lynch will do next is 10x more entertainment than a reporter asking a player what the win means to the team after a big game, or asking a coach what they need to do in the second half to get back in the game.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Well if it's his job to only show up then I guess there's no issue here. He won't get fined and everyone moves on.

We'll see if the league feels that way. Their television partners pay a good chunk of these guys' salaries. If they don't like his answers, they have some leverage to make a change.

The NFL doesn't have billion dollar TV deals because people like to watch dudes give sideline interviews, they have billion dollar TV deals because people like to see guys like Lynch go beast mode on 250 lb LB'ers. He's all about that action, boss and that's what people want to see.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
But the thing is, as much as you may want to deny it, its not just about the game. The NFL, like every other sports league, is primarily an entertainment producer that just happens to have its entertainment center around football, but that entertainment includes media coverage of the players requiring access to them for interviews.
Oh I know that and there is no denying it, it's actually now more about media than the actual game (my opinion). Point in case every high school recruit trying to come up with the craziest way to announce their decision on media.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
And Lynch is available to them. But he's not answering their question, and that's his choice. Time for some changes to league rules. It's pretty clear how corrupt the NFL and Goodell are. Just take the most recent issue with Josh Gordon. The guy might get suspended for drinking alcohol. Yet, while he watches his teams games, he's going to watch a beer commercial during every time out. It's a joke.

Agree. The NFL does have some self serving rules. I'm interested in next week's hearing and evaluation of how Goodell handled the Peterson case.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
[video=youtube;xknBTqR_-GQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xknBTqR_-GQ[/video]

Somehow, Dieon is the best reporter out there now. This was a great job of interviewing by him, simply by asking questions that Marshawn would actually answer. Ask questions that cater to him, and you'll get some answers. But if you ask stupid *** questions, you're going to get stupid *** responses.

Last edited:

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I think it would be more funny if he answered every question differently, but in a way that doesn't make sense.

"So Marshawn, how did you prepare for the game today?"
"I took a dump, like I always do"
"What did you think of your game-winning touchdown?"
"It won the game, so that was nice"

Saying one line over and over again isn't original or funny to me, but answering all the questions off the cuff with different answers that are crude or don't make any sense would be pretty funny.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
No he's earned the right to play a game on a field, and he's damn good at it. If he chooses not to give interviews so that reporters can write stories and make money off of him, that is his choice.
He is paid for the whole package. All of the pro sports leagues understand that pro sports is an entertainment industry and they are screwed without putting out a good product and getting maximum media coverage.

I'm great at washing glass but I don't like heights so I should be able to be a highrise window washer without having to go up on a maintenance platform.

If you choose not to do the whole job, you aren't doing your job.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
And Lynch is available to them. But he's not answering their question, and that's his choice. Time for some changes to league rules. It's pretty clear how corrupt the NFL and Goodell are. Just take the most recent issue with Josh Gordon. The guy might get suspended for drinking alcohol. Yet, while he watches his teams games, he's going to watch a beer commercial during every time out. It's a joke.

So just because alcohol is legal it means you can be drunk 24/7? Obviously not - if I were to show up at my job with any alcohol in my system and I'm caught, that's pretty much automatic termination for me. Buh buh buh it's LEGAL!!! Doesn't matter - just because something's legal doesn't mean the company you work for can't choose to have a policy against that legal thing. Just the fact that Josh Brown is facing suspension for alcohol in his system screams that he was on a zero tolerance policy for past substance abuse problems. Zero tolerance means zero tolerance, and that would include alcohol. And, as someone said in another thread, he's a freaking idiot if he broke a zero tolerance agreement over alcohol, considering how quickly your body metabolizes it out of your system, unless he decided to get absolutely ****-faced one evening and then got tested the next day. But then, that would speak towards the intelligence of Josh Brown and not to the legitimacy of a zero tolerance agreement against substances.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
So just because alcohol is legal it means you can be drunk 24/7? Obviously not - if I were to show up at my job with any alcohol in my system and I'm caught, that's pretty much automatic termination for me. Buh buh buh it's LEGAL!!! Doesn't matter - just because something's legal doesn't mean the company you work for can't choose to have a policy against that legal thing. Just the fact that Josh Brown is facing suspension for alcohol in his system screams that he was on a zero tolerance policy for past substance abuse problems. Zero tolerance means zero tolerance, and that would include alcohol. And, as someone said in another thread, he's a freaking idiot if he broke a zero tolerance agreement over alcohol, considering how quickly your body metabolizes it out of your system, unless he decided to get absolutely ****-faced one evening and then got tested the next day. But then, that would speak towards the intelligence of Josh Brown and not to the legitimacy of a zero tolerance agreement against substances.

I'm pretty sure Josh didn't show up to work drunk.

Do you not see the blatant hypocrisy with the NFL's biggest sponsor being an alcohol company? Once he's off the clock he should be able to hug the bottle all he wants, and the idea that he could get suspended for a full year is just flat out baffling.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I'm pretty sure Josh didn't show up to work drunk.

Do you not see the blatant hypocrisy with the NFL's biggest sponsor being an alcohol company? Once he's off the clock he should be able to hug the bottle all he wants, and the idea that he could get suspended for a full year is just flat out baffling.

You're pretty sure he didn't show up to work drunk. How else would there be alcohol in his system?

As far as the blatant hypocrisy, I would agree - unless he's under a zero tolerance agreement for previous substance abuse infractions. In that case, zero tolerance means zero tolerance, i don't care how much cash the NFL pulls in from beer sponsors.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Seriously, I'm starting to become a Seahawks fan just because of Lynch and Sherman. Two of the most captivating figures in sports right now.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I'm just wondering why they continue to bother interviewing him.

They could come to my house and interview me from my living room, I'd give equally as terrible, uninteresting responses.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I'm just wondering why they continue to bother interviewing him.

The media loves what he is doing. It becomes another story. They would rather talk about deflated footballs and repetative answering instead of the actual game.

SeaClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
The media loves what he is doing. It becomes another story. They would rather talk about deflated footballs and repetative answering instead of the actual game.

I agree. I think what he is doing is brilliant. I prefer what he is doing to giving canned, cliche answers to the rote questions reporters ask over and over. Bill Belichick takes the same basic approach as Marshawn. Do you really learn anything when Russell Wilson answers questions? I sure don't. I don't remember a thing he says because none of it is memorable. Sherman takes the opposite approach, and he also does it well. At the end of the day, I see this as Marshawn doing his job, and doing it well. The fact that we have an entire thread on it is testament to that fact. If he's giving canned, cliche answers, we're not talking about it. Period.

P.S. And don't kid yourself...the media loves that it gives them an easy story.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
He's asked to play a game and spend 5 minutes in front of a camera answering really basic questions. In return he gets paid millions of dollars. If you think it's a waste of time take the fine but don't waste everyone else's time.

Who's time is he wasting? No one has to be there to interview him. No on answers those interview questions honestly anyway. All athletes just try to avoid saying something "wrong" that the media will blow out of proportion. I'm not sure I've ever heard a single meaningful answer from those interviews.