I'm proud of the Cyclones effort tonight!

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Our guys gave 100%, played their guts out, played hurt and never quit. I'm proud of all of their efforts and want to let them know we appreciate how hard they played. If you don't feel good to be a Cyclone tonight, I feel sorry for you.

Reactions: Wesley and kingcy

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
I'm proud of the effort but I guess I'm confused about all the moral victory posts tonight.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
With ya. I hope they can somehow find a way to take that energy and that effort to give it the same thing every night - not just when we are playing the #1 team in the country. If they do they will still have some good games in them and may be able to get some good wins in the B12.

Reactions: ketelmeister

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
That 1st half of basketball was the most fun I have had watching this team in a LONG time. Too bad we couldn't hanlde the full court press, otherwise I'm sure we are talking about an upset right now.

KCy

Jul 20, 2008
Kansas City
I agree completely. Usually teams that play that hard are rewarded with some upsets and some big victories throughout the season. Can't wait to see them.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Agree! We just hit a couple of those 3's in the 2nd half and we're more than in this game with a heck of chance to win at the end. Sure could have used Colvin.:sad: The legs got a little rubbery toward the end and the shots wouldn't fall.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
That is the way I thought this team would look from the start of the season. People ripped me this week when I said this team can play with anyone when they want to. They just need to figure out how to play a full 40 mins. I hope they play like this the rest of the season.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I agree, it was fun a lot of the way and hopefully the team found their collective heart tonight.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
I'm proud of the effort but I guess I'm confused about all the moral victory posts tonight.

I don't call it a moral victory...just recognize a great effort. I can tell you the players don't count it as a moral victory. They smell a chance for a great win, and couldn't quite get it. This will make them hungrier. They played their hearts out.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield

At some point we as fans have to stop being so damn negative and start getting positive about this team. Moral victory's at this point is important. I don't give a damn what anyone say's. Let's get excited about this good effort tonight...let's get excited about this team finally doing some things we've been looking for since the Drake game. Let's not get all uppity about what really is a good loss against the #1 team in the country.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
At some point we as fans have to stop being so damn negative and start getting positive about this team. Moral victory's at this point is important. I don't give a damn what anyone say's. Let's get excited about this good effort tonight...let's get excited about this team finally doing some things we've been looking for since the Drake game. Let's not get all uppity about what really is a good loss against the #1 team in the country.

Wow, a great post. Well said. And the game was a blast to watch.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

It was a learning experence. This game shows what happens when everyone trusts everyone else and listens to coach. A few times tonight I saw players looking at the bench to be sure they knew what they were to do. They acted like they wanted to win and busted their ***. Maybe the things that have happened to this team over the past week have helped this team. Maybe Mac is starting to be a little harder on them. Maybe they understand what it takes. Maybe they are all on the same page now. Maybe none of it.

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Mac got outcoached the first few minutes of the second half which cost us the game. Still a great effort though.

ISU4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
I don't call it a moral victory...just recognize a great effort. I can tell you the players don't count it as a moral victory. They smell a chance for a great win, and couldn't quite get it. This will make them hungrier. They played their hearts out.

Both very valid. My wife asked if I felt good about a close loss to the #1 one team and I spent the next 10 min. breaking down why moral victories are meaningless and how we now would have to go 11-5 instead of 10-6 to have a chance at the NCAA's. Truthfuly it didn't even register that this loss would make the team that more hungry. Here's to going to NE and starting a solid run into the Big XII

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
I agree that was one of the most exciting halfs of basketball that I have seen in my time here at Iowa State. Its amazing to hear how loud Hilton gets when the old people stand most of the half. :smile:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think, for the most part, they played up to their ability tonight. I saw intensity, desire and communication between teammates. I liked their body language as well. You could tell that the bad plays were frustrating for them. If they compete like they did tonight for the rest of the Big 12 season, then all of the doom and gloom is misplaced.

My main critique- there was a significant stretch in the second half where they could have closed the gap, but with every stop of Texas, they went down and didn't really run the offense. It seemed like three or four possessions of one on one moves, and scoring in even half of those possessions could have made the outcome different.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I agree that was one of the most exciting halfs of basketball that I have seen in my time here at Iowa State. Its amazing to hear how loud Hilton gets when the old people stand most of the half. :smile:

So true - nothing like when the ENTIRE place gets into it!

I must say I was impressed with how well the crowd sounded on TV!
Keep it going guys! Even when it's not #1 in town, make it like that all of the time!

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008

This is a great post. No one is saying it is a moral victory. There is a difference in saying that and recognizing Texas is a freak show and our guys left it all out there.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Mac got outcoached the first few minutes of the second half which cost us the game. Still a great effort though.

Maybe but. Shouldnt the players know what to do when a teams throws a press on them. I can see being out synic once but after that you know it is coming so you should be ready for it. It looked like when Mac took the time out he had to tell players where they needed to be, these players should know that stuff.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008

Mac had them ready for the press. They worked on it in practice. Didn't execute.