I'm sorry, I just can't believe Baylor is in the news AGAIN!

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
No charges....ongoing investigation since before the Iowa State football game.....

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The NCAA cannot do anything of consequence to Baylor. Not without being sued ala Penn State. If you're looking for the NCAA to be the arbiter of justice, you're going to be waiting for a long time. The NCAA has been shown to be pretty legally toothless when it comes to punishing schools for criminal acts perpetrated by players/coaches. They don't have much jurisdiction over that kind of thing.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This is all about money, conf does not care about anything but the dollar. They won't touch Baylor.

I don't disagree with the first sentence. I also don't think replacing Baylor with Houston affects the money at all.

Honestly, I could see it being a financial opportunity. Baylor has a small fanbase and doesn't draw that well. Being a private school, they're room for growth is limited too. They've basically been grandfathered in to P5 status.

Houston could really boost their profile in the spot, and being a large public school, could maximize that opportunity and be a more valuable conference member than Baylor in short time, as well as not be a constant human rights embarrassment.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I don't disagree with the first sentence. I also don't think replacing Baylor with Houston affects the money at all.

Honestly, I could see it being a financial opportunity. Baylor has a small fanbase and doesn't draw that well. Being a private school, they're room for growth is limited too. They've basically been grandfathered in to P5 status.

Houston could really boost their profile in the spot, and being a large public school, could maximize that opportunity and be a more valuable conference member than Baylor in short time, as well as not be a constant human rights embarrassment.

Big 12 cannot kick anyone out, they are going to be screwed the next time TV contracts come up.

• Disagree
Reactions: ISC and exCyDing

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

Baylor enrollment: 16,787
Houston enrollment: 42,704

Let's not forget the television market. I'm not saying the Cougars can deliver Houston, but their ceiling is definitely higher than Waco.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

Yeah, I have to chime in here. A public school with a largish alumni/fanbase has got to be worth more than Baylor. It'd be a better long term investment to invite any of Houston, CSU, or Cinci to backfill.

Edit: ST8 beat me to it.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The NCAA cannot do anything of consequence to Baylor. Not without being sued ala Penn State. If you're looking for the NCAA to be the arbiter of justice, you're going to be waiting for a long time. The NCAA has been shown to be pretty legally toothless when it comes to punishing schools for criminal acts perpetrated by players/coaches. They don't have much jurisdiction over that kind of thing.

Truth.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

Does it make any difference versus the Penn State situation when the victims are student athletes wrt Baylor’s obligations to them?