Images from Texas Tech VB 2020

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Great shots as always Wesley! I love volleyball.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Great pics!

CJL once again stuck with the 8 person rotation for the most part last night with no PT from Mauck and Schuler (who evidently is still out with ankle issues). Mantz played some in Set 2.

KSU went to WVU and won two matches (both 3-2) and they did it without Carlson who led them in kills last weekend vs ISU.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
This team still is not great at passing, and blocking seems to have regressed. Still curious of the deal with Mauke not playing.

I have always wondered how Hannah Lochtin Sedwick (she married the Baylor kicker this past summer) ended up an AA at Baylor, and we got Mauke. I read a blog she did for Baylor about her faith. She said she went to ISU games as a kid, and always dreamed of playing for ISU. In fact, she figured she would go there until one day as a high school freshman, she talked with the coach and realized it wouls not happen. I assume Mauke had already verballed. Long story short, she ended up committing to Baylor as a HS soph after a previous stter commit there backed out. Setter recruiting must be crazy if they regularly commit that early

AMraider

Oct 3, 2020
Watched the games this weekend and saw Schuler on the sideline in what looked like an ankle boot.

We also watched the Baylor/TCU game and Callie Williams was the setter. Also Pressley had a heavily wrapped left quad.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Good setters are really hard to find. If you see a good one you know it right away. Then it is just a small matter of do they have the athletic ability, foot speed, footwork, VB IQ and the temperament to do it at a high level. The answer unfortunately a lot of times is no.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
This team still is not great at passing, and blocking seems to have regressed. Still curious of the deal with Mauke not playing.

I have always wondered how Hannah Lochtin Sedwick (she married the Baylor kicker this past summer) ended up an AA at Baylor, and we got Mauke. I read a blog she did for Baylor about her faith. She said she went to ISU games as a kid, and always dreamed of playing for ISU. In fact, she figured she would go there until one day as a high school freshman, she talked with the coach and realized it wouls not happen. I assume Mauke had already verballed. Long story short, she ended up committing to Baylor as a HS soph after a previous stter commit there backed out. Setter recruiting must be crazy if they regularly commit that early
Saturday's match loss was very disappointing on several counts. The total 5 set stats were all in favor of ISU so there wasn't one over riding issue that caused the loss. Sets 2 and obviously 5 were the killers. Set 2 was tied at 24 when Holthaus had a critical service error and ISU then lost the next point to lose that set. In Set 5, Brandt got tentative with several of her sets and that caused a lack of quality attacks from the OHs/MBs and there were some good sets from her that were tentatively attacked. That flipped the last set and match to Tech.

Regarding Mauck, CJL liked her upside moreso than Lockin during the recruiting process. Pressley has helped Lockin look good at BU, but CJL may have some regrets with that decision.

Based on what I've read, CJL prefers Brandt's ability to set out of system and her ability to read blocks and set the attacker with the best odds of the kill. I think that has been evident in the 4 matches I've watched with the exception of Set 5 of Saturday's TT match. The drawback with Brandt is her lack of height makes her somewhat of a liability on the block when compared to the taller Mauck and the TT attack took advantage of that during Saturday's match. I think CJL will stick with Brandt as the full time setter for now.

TT also aggressively served to Holthaus with some success when she was on the back row to the point where CJL had to sub her out there and initially replaced her with Centeno (who struggled) and then Shannon. Several key points were lost on that rotation. When Schuler returns, I am assuming that she will for sure replace Holthaus on the back row and may get some OH reps on the front row (replacing Hatch at times). Schuler's serve has also been missed.

Reactions: Royalclone

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
I don't have Long Horn TV, so will have to miss this weekend's action. Hope to actually be in attendance for Baylor. I've been trying to decide where to sit. My normal seat will be folded-up, and my group of 4 will certainly want to social distance.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

Clones get swept by the Bevoettes. Texas is obviously very good but the gap between them and ISU seems to get wider. Hopefully, ISU is more competitive tomorrow night. Mauck made a cameo appearance while Schuler again did not play.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
We will see if we can be the ones to make adjustments. It seems like that is what has happened in every matchup so far. As you stated the gap between Texas and ISU is more a gulf in class now.