Improved Tackling

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
I thought our tackling was much better yesterday. I have no stats to back it up but it seemed much more sound to me. The first guy to hit there guy stopped there forward progress immediately and there was no extra yac.

Also, for anybody that follows our schemes....it seems our team concept to tackling is improving. I can't describe it well enough to give is justice but would welcome others thoughts on that.

• Agree
Reactions: CoKane and Bryce7

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I thought our tackling was much better yesterday. I have no stats to back it up but it seemed much more sound to me. The first guy to hit there guy stopped there forward progress immediately and there was no extra yac.

Also, for anybody that follows our schemes....it seems our team concept to tackling is improving. I can't describe it well enough to give is justice but would welcome others thoughts on that.
One thing I noticed is how well the corners come up in run support. Payne was great yesterday, and Tribune did a good job of coming forward as well.

All in all the only major issues were pass rush( the ends never really developed any pressure but that's SOS) and I didn't see much over the top help from the safeties. Our corners were manned up deep down field which is always a nerve-wracking affair.

Istate

Jul 15, 2008
I thought the same thing. While I know it hurts to lose two games in the fashion that the cyclones have done the last two weeks, I think you'd have to be blind not to see some things are making serious progress. The number one thing is open field tackling. I saw a number of plays yesterday that would have resulted in huge plays in previous years that were merely minor games against OSU. That is progress no matter how badly some want to say all is going downhill.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
While I will not argue the tackling against BU was bad (it was), you can attribute some of that to Shock Linwood. Dude has pro talent, it wasn't just ISU falling down.

• Winner
Reactions: bos and isufbcurt

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I feel like I'm seeing more tackles in the backfield as opposed to seeing people shake 3 of our defenders behind the line and run then for 15 yards. That's a big improvement. I also haven't seen any defenders aimlessly throw their bodies at the feet of the ball carrier in open space and instead they actually try to tackle the guy.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
One thing I noticed is how well the corners come up in run support. Payne was great yesterday, and Tribune did a good job of coming forward as well.

All in all the only major issues were pass rush( the ends never really developed any pressure but that's SOS) and I didn't see much over the top help from the safeties. Our corners were manned up deep down field which is always a nerve-wracking affair.
We have always had DB's who were good at coming up and making stops. Almost every DB in the CPR ear was good at doing this. A lot of those guys made it to NFL camps or got a tryout (Sims, LJ, Broomfield, Reeves, Washington, Watson, Floyd, Benton, Givens etc).

DhaCheann

Mar 31, 2012
Denver, CO

There, their, they're

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
I feel like I'm seeing more tackles in the backfield as opposed to seeing people shake 3 of our defenders behind the line and run then for 15 yards. That's a big improvement. I also haven't seen any defenders aimlessly throw their bodies at the feet of the ball carrier in open space and instead they actually try to tackle the guy.
You didn't watch OSU's first touchdown then. I can't remember if it was Peavy or who but the threw at the legs and the receiver just bounced off and waltzed into the end zone. There was also another play the runner hurdled the defender. Over all I think we were better but it is still not all there.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
You didn't watch OSU's first touchdown then. I can't remember if it was Peavy or who but the threw at the legs and the receiver just bounced off and waltzed into the end zone. There was also another play the runner hurdled the defender. Over all I think we were better but it is still not all there.
I must not have because I can't remember that first play at all