In home Golf simulators???

cowboycurtis

Jul 20, 2006
We are doing an addition on our house and we are making an area in the basement for a golf simulator. We have plenty of space so that’s not an issue. My questions are what is good equipment for an in home simulator? Other than the space it’s going in what other things do I need to consider?

I had a good conversation with a guy at gung ho golf but looking for unbiased opinions. Thanks

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Depends on the price range, from my research basically the bare minimum is about $2000-2500 with a Mevo+ or a Skytrak. At that level you'll get actual flight path data. I'm really looking at a Mevo+, you need to have like 18' for space for it, like 10 between the ball and the screen and 8 behind the ball for the Mevo+. I've heard pretty mixed reviews about Skytrak, some love it and some always seem to have issues with it.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
I've been looking at the Flightscope Mevo. Its about $500. It's also portable so I could take it to the range and use it. Doesnt have quite as many features as the Mevo+ that 3true mentioned, but is close.

DollaDollaBill

Mar 2, 2010
CR
I put a skytrak in my garage last winter. Biggest thing is to get a good mat. Cheap mats will wear on your wrists/elbows pretty quickly.

I’ve had no issues with the skytrak. Occasional misread but otherwise is pretty accurate

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I just used my stimulus to put one in my basement this spring. I went with the Mevo+ & am loving it so far. I bought my Mevo+, impact screen, hitting mat & TGC software from GungHo. My total cost was ~$6,500, most of which for the following:

- Mevo+ - $2k
- Gaming Laptop - $1k
- TGC 2019 Software - $950
- Hitting Mat - $900
- Projector - $800
- DIY Enclosure with EMT pipe/fittings/fabric surround - $400
- Impact Screen - $250

Then some other misc cords/foam insulation for the front EMT/screws/additional putting mat. You could obviously do it for less if you leave out the projector/screen/software/laptop, but I figured if I was gonna do it I wanted to go for it. I haven't gotten the putting working well yet, but other than those I rarely have any mishits and the data seems accurate.

It's a little loud for people upstairs, so I'll probably be adding some sound-proofing soon. My ceiling is just short of 9' and I've yet to hit it (I'm 5'11"), but it is close. I might move to the garage at some point if it bothers me, but so far I'm content.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
The space I have is no problem. 12’ ceiling, 13ft wide, 26ft long.
My only suggestion is to place lights (lamps are best) behind and above you for shadowing of your stance. Of course being able to turn them on and off when you need don’t need. :)

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I just used my stimulus to put one in my basement this spring. I went with the Mevo+ & am loving it so far. I bought my Mevo+, impact screen, hitting mat & TGC software from GungHo. My total cost was ~$6,500, most of which for the following:

- Mevo+ - $2k
- Gaming Laptop - $1k
- Hitting Mat - $900
- Projector - $800
- Impact Screen - $250

Then some other misc cords/foam insulation for the front EMT/screws/additional putting mat. You could obviously do it for less if you leave out the projector/screen/software/laptop, but I figured if I was gonna do it I wanted to go for it. I haven't gotten the putting working well yet, but other than those I rarely have any mishits and the data seems accurate.

It's a little loud for people upstairs, so I'll probably be adding some sound-proofing soon. My ceiling is just short of 9' and I've yet to hit it (I'm 5'11"), but it is close. I might move to the garage at some point if it bothers me, but so far I'm content.

I would just copy this guy.

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
I studied this for about 2 years when we decided to build a house. The above by Tailg8er is a very good bang for the buck. For a little more $$ we went with the Uneekor https://uneekor.com/. We have 9'8" ceiling -15' wide (I have a left handed son) and 20' deep. Uneekor is around $5000 more but was ceiling mounted and is great for rightys/leftys where some systems you had to move for a lefty and I have younger kids that might be hitting and was worried about anything floor mounted. The guys at Uneekor were awesome to deal with for questions. The rest of what Tailg8er above is about exactly what we did too -except for the hitting surface. We went a little higher end on that, worried about wrist/elbow injuries and my research led us to https://rainorshinegolf.com/products/fiberbuilt-launch-monitor-studio-golf-mat-4-x-9-center-hitting -rated to 300,000 shots and simulates an iron shot pretty well (very forgiving). Good luck!

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

- Mevo+ - $2k
- Gaming Laptop - $1k
- Hitting Mat - $900
- Projector - $800
- Impact Screen - $250

This is amazing. $6,500ish is not bad!

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I studied this for about 2 years when we decided to build a house. The above by Tailg8er is a very good bang for the buck. For a little more $$ we went with the Uneekor https://uneekor.com/. We have 9'8" ceiling -15' wide (I have a left handed son) and 20' deep. Uneekor is around $5000 more but was ceiling mounted and is great for rightys/leftys where some systems you had to move for a lefty and I have younger kids that might be hitting and was worried about anything floor mounted. The guys at Uneekor were awesome to deal with for questions. The rest of what Tailg8er above is about exactly what we did too -except for the hitting surface. We went a little higher end on that, worried about wrist/elbow injuries and my research led us to https://rainorshinegolf.com/products/fiberbuilt-launch-monitor-studio-golf-mat-4-x-9-center-hitting -rated to 300,000 shots and simulates an iron shot pretty well (very forgiving). Good luck!

My hitting mat is a fiberbuilt as well, as I had the same worries about elbows. Mine is just one-sided, though. The cheap impact screen from GungHo has exceeded my expectations, though I haven't put too many shots to it yet so we'll see about durability. Went with the Optoma GT1080HDR short throw projector & it's been great as well.

Reactions: BurgundyClone

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
This is amazing. $6,500ish is not bad!

Yeah, I'm very happy with it! You could easily knock money off by going with a cheaper projector, cheaper hitting mat (could even make your own), and there is cheaper software than TGC which also wouldn't require a gaming PC/laptop. I spent a lot of time researching, there are a couple FB groups that have a LOT of discussion/questions answered (one for Skytrak & another for Mevo+).

Also excited to use it to watch FB games this fall. We've used for some movies/sporting events & it's definitely a nice secondary use (which also helped get the wife on board)!

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
Yeah, I'm very happy with it! You could easily knock money off by going with a cheaper projector, cheaper hitting mat (could even make your own), and there is cheaper software than TGC which also wouldn't require a gaming PC/laptop. I spent a lot of time researching, there are a couple FB groups that have a LOT of discussion/questions answered (one for Skytrak & another for Mevo+).

Also excited to use it to watch FB games this fall. We've used for some movies/sporting events & it's definitely a nice secondary use (which also helped get the wife on board)!
yes it was THE Covid place to be for ISU games last fall!

Reactions: Tailg8er

DollaDollaBill

Mar 2, 2010
CR
TGC is awesome. I did the demo of E6 and the online societies and ability to design your own course on TGC blow E6 away.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I put a skytrak in my garage last winter. Biggest thing is to get a good mat. Cheap mats will wear on your wrists/elbows pretty quickly.

I’ve had no issues with the skytrak. Occasional misread but otherwise is pretty accurate

I got a Skytrak last winter too. I started about as basic as possible thinking I could add over time.

Skytrak hitting into a net with simulation just displayed on an iPad to the side. I haven’t had major issues with Skytrak. Occasional connection problems but I think that is likely due to poor wifi in my garage. There are some chips that it does struggle to pick up but you get used to wear to place the ball etc and not bad.

I got a Swing Turf mat which research said is good on elbows etc but by the end of winter I had a really sore elbow that is still sticking around through the season. I’m going to try a Fiberbuilt next winter. Note I’m a bit of a hacker so might just be my swing.

I have WGT for the simulation package. Works well but only a single player available. When I play with my sons we just alternate holes and it works fine. I may upgrade to TGC this winter though

DollaDollaBill

Mar 2, 2010
CR
I got a Skytrak last winter too. I started about as basic as possible thinking I could add over time.

Skytrak hitting into a net with simulation just displayed on an iPad to the side. I haven’t had major issues with Skytrak. Occasional connection problems but I think that is likely due to poor wifi in my garage. There are some chips that it does struggle to pick up but you get used to wear to place the ball etc and not bad.

I got a Swing Turf mat which research said is good on elbows etc but by the end of winter I had a really sore elbow that is still sticking around through the season. I’m going to try a Fiberbuilt next winter. Note I’m a bit of a hacker so might just be my swing.

I have WGT for the simulation package. Works well but only a single player available. When I play with my sons we just alternate holes and it works fine. I may upgrade to TGC this winter though

I have a fiber built and still got sore elbows last winter but was playing A LOT.

TGC is worth every penny. There’s an online society that follows the PGA Tour each week. There’s even FedEx cup points, world rankings and a money list that’s kind of fun to track