"In Loving Memory"

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Okay I have ask, was this your first thought when you saw these things or do your thinking eventually get to that point the more you saw them?

I'll be honest, it was my first thought. I may watch too much Law & Order: SVU.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
This is exactly what I've thought when I see them. Mom runs into Wal-Mart to grab some groceries quick and leaves a couple kids in her car. Pedophile creeps through the parking lot and bam... there's the stick figures announcing to them that there could be kids inside.

No one in the general public gives a crap how many kids you have or how big your family is. Why the hell would you advertise it to everyone?

You nailed it. Or, "Hey, I'm totally going to follow this minivan home and see where they live, then catch little Delilahbelle on her way to school. She's just the right age."

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
My family throws an Irish wake, then bury the person, then has a kick *** post funeral party where we celebrate the life of said person. Then we end the grieving process. It's about a 3 day process.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
I'm putting in my will that when I die if anyone puts a tacky "In loving memory of (my name)" on their car - I want them immediately out of my will.

I agree with the OP, it is tacky as ****. Stick figure family stickers are also dumb. I always wondered what happens when one of the people in a stick figure family car dies. Do they put a "X" sticker through them? Do they just remove them like they never existed in the stick family? Or do they put a tacky "In loving memory of..." on it?

The Calvin peeing stickers are so unoriginal and tacky as well, but I think it would be funny if someone went around putting the Calvin sticker peeing on all the stick figure families...

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I always thought those stickers were strange but everyone grieves and everyone copes differently. If it makes them feel better, good for them.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I'm putting in my will that when I die if anyone puts a tacky "In loving memory of (my name)" on their car - I want them immediately out of my will.

I agree with the OP, it is tacky as ****. Stick figure family stickers are also dumb. I always wondered what happens when one of the people in a stick figure family car dies. Do they put a "X" sticker through them? Do they just remove them like they never existed in the stick family? Or do they put a tacky "In loving memory of..." on it?

The Calvin peeing stickers are so unoriginal and tacky as well, but I think it would be funny if someone went around putting the Calvin sticker peeing on all the stick figure families...

I don't like these because it is like peeing on the Calvin's spirit and the true meaning of Calvin and Hobbs.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
While we're ranting and raving about idiots, what's with the stupid names parents have been giving their kids lately? Kaden? Grayson? The dogs have classier names than the kids in this family.

I blame celebrities. Now everyone wants to name their kids something different and unique. Apple... who names their ******* child Apple? It isn't the name that is going to make your child stand out and be unique...

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I blame celebrities. Now everyone wants to name their kids something different and unique. Apple... who names their ******* child Apple? It isn't the name that is going to make your child stand out and be unique...

I blame it on Lazarus's parents. I mean who names their kid Lazarus?!?!

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I always thought those stickers were strange but everyone grieves and everyone copes differently. If it makes them feel better, good for them.
Look man, if they're truly grieving and putting a sticker on their car makes them feel better I really have no issue with it. I'm just having some fun with this topic.

But it is my contention that the vast majority of these people are just wanting to draw attention to themselves.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
You nailed it. Or, "Hey, I'm totally going to follow this minivan home and see where they live, then catch little Delilahbelle on her way to school. She's just the right age."

Some people might say that it's a bit over the top to think this way but when you watch the news, check the news online, etc... you see crazy stuff all the time. Hell... kids aren't even safe at school anymore with all of these sexual predator teachers out there. It happens so often anymore that it isn't even shocking and that is a problem. If your kids aren't safe at school they are even less safe out in public.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
While we're ranting and raving about idiots, what's with the stupid names parents have been giving their kids lately? Kaden? Grayson? The dogs have classier names than the kids in this family.

Just read something about boys' names ending in "n" phase ending. In 20 years those names will sound like Veronica, Tiffany, and Lynne.

I like the classics that never sound trendy; Matthew, William, Stephen, Catherine, Elizabeth, Lexxiz, etc.

:)

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Its like everything else, someone figured out a way to make money off someone else's pain/grief.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area

The irony is that in their rush to give kids unique names, parents were all doing the same thing. A friend was telling me recently about how there are four kids in his daughter's class named Aiden. Four! Naming your kid Michael or John is more unique anymore.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Off topic observation:

I love jumping into a new thread, noting the title and presumed subject, but go straight to the last post and see the crazy turn the thread has clearly taken.

"In loving memory" -> crazy kids names.

:eek:

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Off topic observation:

I love jumping into a new thread, noting the title and presumed subject, but go straight to the last post and see the crazy turn the thread has clearly taken.

"In loving memory" -> crazy kids names.

:eek:

Welcome to off-topic in the off-season.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Some people might say that it's a bit over the top to think this way but when you watch the news, check the news online, etc... you see crazy stuff all the time. Hell... kids aren't even safe at school anymore with all of these sexual predator teachers out there. It happens so often anymore that it isn't even shocking and that is a problem. If your kids aren't safe at school they are even less safe out in public.

Think about how many abducted children there have been right here in Iowa the last few years. :no: The statistics currently are that 1 in 3 girls will be assaulted at some point, and 1 in 8 boys. I'm not sure if that's just while a child, or the entire life - but that's insane.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
One day I was the DMV, and I notice a SUV with a stick family, but there was no mother stick figure just what I assume was a father figure and a couple of children figures. There was however, a circle drawn where the mother should with an arrow pointed to it with a message written above on the back window that said, "This spot is open!"

I was driving behind an SUV with stick figure Mom, kids, and a pet. But, you could see an outline in the grime/sticker glue that Dad used to be there. Oops.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron