In the long run... MWC > Big East IMO

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I understand everyone hoping we land in the Big East, it has a larger market and for the most part better teams too.

However, I think the population centers out west will continue to grow, and I sincerely believe that the MWC is the much SAFER choice in the long run right now.

The Pac 10 will become the Pac 16 here shortly. And they will stop at 16. The Big 10 is FAR from done expanding. If you think the Big 10 is done with just adding Nebraska, you're kidding yourself. The Big 10 will ruin anything in order to get what it wants. They've already proven that.

So... IMO... if we join the Big East next week, it will only be a year or so before the Big 10 raids the Big East to get to their 16 teams. Then we'll be sitting in the exact same situation as we are right now.... again.

Nobody will be raiding the new MWC conference in the future IMO. Who would? The Pac 16 won't.

With all that being said, I will be happy if we join the Big East... I'll just have to cross my fingers that it all works out... and if the Big 10 comes in and takes Rutgers, Syracuse, UConn, and Pitt.... just hope that the Big East will be able to find replacements?

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
If Kansas is not asked to join the Pac 10 we take ISU, KU,KS & Mo and go to the BIg East and convince the teams that plan Div 1 football to become part of the New BIg 12. The reamining teams are the Big East basketball conference.

AlumfromAmes

Jun 9, 2010
Would you rather be in a stable conference that does not have BCS status?

My vote is to go to the conference that has the highest status. Stay there as long as possible. Make as many improvements to the program as possible. If you go to one of lesser status, you sort of surrender before its over.

Who knows what will happen with the Big East, but it has the most potential for cable television contracts. That is where the revenue stream is.

Reactions: Drizzle

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
At this point in time I feel the BE just has too much to offer compared to the MWC. I realize there's a risk of losing teams but I really wonder if they'd lose all that many. And who's to say that the MWC (if they stop for now with the addition of Boise State) won't be available later if the BE did fall apart. Right now it's all a big gamble and hopefully we make the right decision for ISU whatever it turns out to be. But if somehow Kansas gets an invite to the Pac10 and/or Mizzou somehow finds itself with an invite to the SEC it may not matter.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Would you rather be in a stable conference that does not have BCS status?

My vote is to go to the conference that has the highest status. Stay there as long as possible. Make as many improvements to the program as possible. If you go to one of lesser status, you sort of surrender before its over.

Who knows what will happen with the Big East, but it has the most potential for cable television contracts. That is where the revenue stream is.

That is the question, you are correct. Would a short, but possibly a lucrative stay in the Big East be preferrable over a more safe, long term situation in the MWC? I think the MWC immediately becomes an AQ conference if ISU, KU, KSU, and MU all join. The BCS wants to have 6 AQ conferences. They don't want there to be only 4, because then there would be the threat of a 4 team playoff, which they don't want.

With the Big 12 dead.... they would make the new MWC an AQ conference for sure IMO.

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
That is the question, you are correct. Would a short, but possibly a lucrative stay in the Big East be preferrable over a more safe, long term situation in the MWC? I think the MWC immediately becomes an AQ conference if ISU, KU, KSU, and MU all join. The BCS wants to have 6 AQ conferences. They don't want there to be only 4, because then there would be the threat of a 4 team playoff, which they don't want.

With the Big 12 dead.... they would make the new MWC an AQ conference for sure IMO.

I just posted this in another thread. I don't see the same rosy outlook about MWC AQ status.

I fear that the MWC isn't ever going to get it's AQ status. Even if they add the Big XII leftovers, the conference is still too watered down. Hypothetically speaking, say the MWC puts in their application for AQ the same day as the PAC-16 puts in their application for a second AQ bid (with possibility of 3rd BCS bowl possibility).

However, if the NCAA doesn't give these "super conferences" an additional BCS bid, the conferences will likely be short lived. Lots of teams won't be too content to see USC and Texas take the only 2 available BCS slots every year.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
If KU goes P10 and Utah stays in the MWC, then I am "ok" with MWC. If P10 takes Utah, I would much rather go BE so long as KU, KSU, MIZZOU are with us.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I guess I could also see us wanting to maintain a conf with some Texas schools even if they aren't the "big ones".

I revanped MWC could include Baylor along with TCU. Maybe even a Houston.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I guess I could also see us wanting to maintain a conf with some Texas schools even if they aren't the "big ones".

I revanped MWC could include Baylor along with TCU. Maybe even a Houston.

Yes. Being in a conference with some Texas schools helps recruiting a TON! We get a lot of really good talent from Texas because we are always traveling down there to play other teams from Texas. Parents love nothing more than to see their kids play... and to not have to go far to see them.

If we were in a conference with some Texas teams like Baylor, TCU, Houston, etc... I would predict that we would be able to out-recruit Nebraska in Texas EASILY.

You make a great point.

Illiniclone

Jan 20, 2009
I understand everyone hoping we land in the Big East, it has a larger market and for the most part better teams too.

However, I think the population centers out west will continue to grow, and I sincerely believe that the MWC is the much SAFER choice in the long run right now.

The Pac 10 will become the Pac 16 here shortly. And they will stop at 16. The Big 10 is FAR from done expanding. If you think the Big 10 is done with just adding Nebraska, you're kidding yourself. The Big 10 will ruin anything in order to get what it wants. They've already proven that.

So... IMO... if we join the Big East next week, it will only be a year or so before the Big 10 raids the Big East to get to their 16 teams. Then we'll be sitting in the exact same situation as we are right now.... again.

Nobody will be raiding the new MWC conference in the future IMO. Who would? The Pac 16 won't.

With all that being said, I will be happy if we join the Big East... I'll just have to cross my fingers that it all works out... and if the Big 10 comes in and takes Rutgers, Syracuse, UConn, and Pitt.... just hope that the Big East will be able to find replacements?

Good points but the Big 10 would only take 2 teams from the Big East, Rutgers and Syracuse. Of course they would take Notre Dame but they aren't a Big East football school. They won't take Pittsburgh, why would they? They have the Pittsburgh area covered with Penn State.

So they take Rutgers, that won't hurt much. The basketball team is irrelevant every year and the football team has been good for maybe a year and a half. Syracuse basketball wise would hurt but football wise? Again, the last few years they've been one of the worst programs in the nation. The Big East could add Central Florida and/or Memphis and still be ok. I would much MUCH rather have the clones in the Big East. Again though, these are all just rumors and really, I'm not even sure God knows what is going to happen.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I'm not saying that MWC is a better option than the Big East, but it does have some things going for it.

1) While neither the MWC or Big East have very valuable TV deals currently, the MWC is up to renew theirs at the end of the 2011 season, I believe. For the Big East, they'll have to wait until 2013. That makes a difference.

2) I believe the Mountain West Sports Network is partially owned by Comcast, the largest cable company in the country. They have subscribers in 39 states. That guarantees viewing availability for much of the country.

3) At least initially, there's a greater chance for success for ISU's sports teams. We would be a slightly bigger fish to the MWC than the Big East. I don't know if that counts for much, but it is a difference.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
All good points here, but we need to remember the PAC-11 is just that...11. It is unclear what they will do as they have not officially invited any other teams as it is being reported. I am not certain the MWC will get an autobid, and the media markets in those parts are few and far between.

If this is all about media markets to bring stability, then we need to go somewhere with media markets a plenty. Obviously that is where college football is going for stability...that is the conference war now. We would be making NO money and we would not be seen. It is like being on a deserted island.

I wouldn't worry about recruiting in the Big East...great players out there in the Ohio valley and east coast.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Keep in mind...CPR knows the Big East...he CAN recruit to the Big East. He's proven it. I'd put a nice sum of money on CPR praying we land in the Big East. The Big East is also a conference that is strong enough for AQ but still a conference that ISU can win outright. That was really only a pipe dream in the Big 12. I say get it done.

The Mook

Jun 26, 2008
Ankeny, IA
www.twitter.com
Hmmm? Be in the MWC, play it safe, stay small, conservative, don't spend or make a lot of money, try to win a little, etc.

That sounds just like what we did for 50 years and put us in this mess!

You get into the Big East and help them fortify that league to that it doesn't get picked apart like the Big 12. You become a part of the greatest basketball conference ever dreamed of. You are in every major media market east of the mississippi. You don't get relegated to the mtn on channel 629 only available in 1.5 time zones. You grow a pair and go play with the big boys!

Ending up in the MWC would be fine, but CHOOSING the MWC over the Big East is chicken poopy!

Reactions: MoreCowbell

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
And ISU needs to raise it's profile...you can't raise your profile if you take a step down into a non-BCS conference. Look at Utah, Boise State, and TCU now...did all that success raise their profile? Not much at all if you look at opinions now. I mean, sure people mention them, but I would like more than to just be mentioned. Say we did that same thing in a major conference (as Kansas did in the Big 12)...suddenly they were a major power to be had each season. Win the crowd in the Big East, and then when enough blood has been spilled...then...you will win your freedom.

Nycclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2010
If the beast adds the four big xii schools it will be safe. The reason why is notre dame. See, as long as the beast remains a conference, notre dame can stay independent. Also if it will sweeten the pot for a big tv deal, then the other beast schools have less incentive to go big ten. It could throw a wrench in everyones reallignment talks . Potentially keep them from happening.

UCHusky

Jun 11, 2010
Have you guys seen MWC teams play much on TV? Nuff said. They got the worst TV contract on earth.

If you don't ever want your team to be on TV, go to MWC.

Have you seen BE teams play on TV for both football and basketball last year? I can tell even as an UCONN fan we have seen our teams on national TV multiple times including our overtime victory over Notre Dame last year. We open this coming season against Michigan on 9/4/10 on ABC.

Some posters are right that BE could be raided. With the B12 4, the conference just became much more stable. Don't worry about the basketball schools, they do bring some great media markets. BE as of now covers 25% of the USA population. With B12 4, that will increase and the conference can get additional TV dollars. If the BE can land a fat TV contract, it won't get raided so easily comparing to now. The main reason BE could be raided is due to the TV dollars. Big East is working on the Big East Network. Hopefully they can get that done and improve the bottom line for all schools.

Reactions: Rods79 and The Mook