In the long run... MWC > Big East IMO

rhillary

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2007
Plainfield, IL
I don't really care which we end up: MWC, Big East, or the remains of the Big 12 + new friends as long as it is one of those 3! If we end up in the MAC or CUSA, we are in a world of hurt.

The key is keeping the "family" together; whomever is left out of the Pac-10 & Big 10 needs to stick together (looks like KU, KState, Mizzou, Baylor, & ISU). Those 5 have some clout with MWC and the Big East but once we start stabbing each other in the back and saying "only take me" then they can divide and conquer, which is really what caused this whole mess to begin with.

The conferences that will thrive from here on out are the ones that swear (and keep) loyalty to each other. Once 1 school bails, the whole thing comes unglued...

The Mook

Jun 26, 2008
Ankeny, IA
www.twitter.com
Have you guys seen MWC teams play much on TV? Nuff said. They got the worst TV contract on earth.

If you don't ever want your team to be on TV, go to MWC.

Have you seen BE teams play on TV for both football and basketball last year? I can tell even as an UCONN fan we have seen our teams on national TV multiple times including our overtime victory over Notre Dame last year. We open this coming season against Michigan on 9/4/10 on ABC.

Some posters are right that BE could be raided. With the B12 4, the conference just became much more stable. Don't worry about the basketball schools, they do bring some great media markets. BE as of now covers 25% of the USA population. With B12 4, that will increase and the conference can get additional TV dollars. If the BE can land a fat TV contract, it won't get raided so easily comparing to now. The main reason BE could be raided is due to the TV dollars. Big East is working on the Big East Network. Hopefully they can get that done and improve the bottom line for all schools.

THIS!

goclones.gif

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
If the beast adds the four big xii schools it will be safe. The reason why is notre dame. See, as long as the beast remains a conference, notre dame can stay independent. Also if it will sweeten the pot for a big tv deal, then the other beast schools have less incentive to go big ten. It could throw a wrench in everyones reallignment talks . Potentially keep them from happening.

ND should try to begin to play more Big East fball teams in the future...just turn their back on the Big Ten....

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I understand everyone hoping we land in the Big East, it has a larger market and for the most part better teams too.

However, I think the population centers out west will continue to grow, and I sincerely believe that the MWC is the much SAFER choice in the long run right now.

The Pac 10 will become the Pac 16 here shortly. And they will stop at 16. The Big 10 is FAR from done expanding. If you think the Big 10 is done with just adding Nebraska, you're kidding yourself. The Big 10 will ruin anything in order to get what it wants. They've already proven that.

So... IMO... if we join the Big East next week, it will only be a year or so before the Big 10 raids the Big East to get to their 16 teams. Then we'll be sitting in the exact same situation as we are right now.... again.

Nobody will be raiding the new MWC conference in the future IMO. Who would? The Pac 16 won't.

With all that being said, I will be happy if we join the Big East... I'll just have to cross my fingers that it all works out... and if the Big 10 comes in and takes Rutgers, Syracuse, UConn, and Pitt.... just hope that the Big East will be able to find replacements?

If the population dynamics are how you say, why should we worry about Big Telly moving east? 5-10 years ago, did you think NU would go to Big Telly? The MAC is the safest- this decision is not about being safe, imo.

Water resources may limit how much the Mt. West can grow...It would certainly take a very long time make it favorable over the East (TVs, media, etc).

Last edited:

UCHusky

Jun 11, 2010
ND should try to begin to play more Big East fball teams in the future...just turn their back on the Big Ten....

ND has said they would try to play 3 BE schools a year in football. Whether they live up to the promise or not, we don't know. They are one school who acts like they are better than everyone. I am sure you guys already seen that with Texas.

BTW, here is an article from KSU site on the Big East:

Column: Why Go West When You Can Go East? - Bring On The Cats

Drizzle

Nov 9, 2007
Would you rather be in a stable conference that does not have BCS status?

My vote is to go to the conference that has the highest status. Stay there as long as possible. Make as many improvements to the program as possible. If you go to one of lesser status, you sort of surrender before its over.

Who knows what will happen with the Big East, but it has the most potential for cable television contracts. That is where the revenue stream is.

Agree 100%

Spam

May 21, 2008
Let's end athletics at ISU, baby. Bury all our athletic programs. If we are not in a conference, no one can screw us! That'll show em.

Drizzle

Nov 9, 2007

A football game against ND would be fantastic.. Chances are probably slim, but who knows? The Big East can at least compete against the Big Ten due to population and TV markets. Best case scenario for ISU is to be somehow linked to ND. They are bigger than anyone else and there is still a chance that ND would join Big East because of basketball alliance.

cyclone83

Apr 10, 2006
I understand everyone hoping we land in the Big East, it has a larger market and for the most part better teams too.

However, I think the population centers out west will continue to grow, and I sincerely believe that the MWC is the much SAFER choice in the long run right now.

The Pac 10 will become the Pac 16 here shortly. And they will stop at 16. The Big 10 is FAR from done expanding. If you think the Big 10 is done with just adding Nebraska, you're kidding yourself. The Big 10 will ruin anything in order to get what it wants. They've already proven that.

So... IMO... if we join the Big East next week, it will only be a year or so before the Big 10 raids the Big East to get to their 16 teams. Then we'll be sitting in the exact same situation as we are right now.... again.

Nobody will be raiding the new MWC conference in the future IMO. Who would? The Pac 16 won't.

With all that being said, I will be happy if we join the Big East... I'll just have to cross my fingers that it all works out... and if the Big 10 comes in and takes Rutgers, Syracuse, UConn, and Pitt.... just hope that the Big East will be able to find replacements?

I have a sick feeling in a few months we will be having the which conference is best for us debate but the conferences will be the MAC or CUSA.