In the market for new range and microwave

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I get it.

It's crazy how different people have different experiences. I could replace them with the same thing and get duds. Just so random.

Yep. Like GE Profile generally gets good reviews. I got a new refrigerator from them back in december trough costco.

A couple months in, it occasionally starts making some loud noise. I call costco and they agree to send a replacement.

A couple weeks later- new one arrives. It has damage the installers find before bringing it in. It gets sent away.

A couple weeks later- 3rd fridge arrives. Has cosmetic damage. But the noise from the first fridge now gets so loud that it can be heard all over my house so i have them bring that one in, and a replacement is ordered. A week in it too starts making noise.

A couple weeks later- 4th fridge arrives. No issues at all so far (there was a minor cosmetic issue but they gave me $200 back for it and its in a place hidden by the cabinet next to it).

This one would have been my last straw and I would have just done a refund had it too had major issues. But i'm glad i ordered through costco who were great at addressing the problems as they came up.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
We had to get a new dishwasher last Winter. I was looking at a Whirlpool - the salesperson told me that Whirlpool was the lower end of Maytag and Maytag is the lower end of Kitchenaid. Ended up with the Maytag.

Reactions: aauummm

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Gas ranges are great for cooking, stove/oven are another thing. Our carbon monoxide detector went off one night and they found that our stove/oven was the source. We had baked something at least 6 hours before the alarm went off. They turned on the oven/stove and took a reading and within minutes it was well over the acceptable range.

When we have had to replace an appliance we have bought a Whirlpool brand and so far they have all held up well. My stand up deep freezer is a Montgomery Ward brand so I don't even want to know how old it is. We stock it with a 1/4 beef every year so I hope it doesn't fail on me unexpectedly. Been thinking about buying a 2nd deep freezer just to split the risk up but some of the reviews you see on the newer deep freezers make you wonder if they are any more reliable as they don't seem to have the same kind of longevity as much older models, My mother in law has a deep freezer that is an International Harvester brand and still works that is probably 70 years old which is proof that newer may not be better.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I'm ion the process of phasing out my Whirlpool stuff for GE. I have had a lot of problems with tthe Whirlpool stuff. :oops:

Whirlpool has become hot garbage. When we bought our house over 7 years ago we had to replace every kitchen appliance except for the LG refrigerator, and we bought Whirlpool appliances. Since then we've had to replace the dishwasher twice (most recently a couple of months ago and this time with an LG dishwasher), the microwave twice, and while we haven't had to replace the stove, it's been giving us problems and we're looking at having to replace the knobs on it for a second time.

Meanwhile, that LG refrigerator is still running strong, and the only real issue we have with it is we really can't buy water filters for it anymore.

st8cydr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
We've had an induction stove top since we built our house in 2017. We love it. Don't get too hung up on the "special" pans-most will work. I would, however, recommend staying away from Electrolux. We had all Electrolux appliances and have replaced the fridge 2x (1x under waranty with another Electrolux), the dishwasher, and as of 2 weeks ago, the built-in microwave/oven combo. It's only my wife and I so it's not like we're high-volume users. We've replaced with LG for the fridge and microwave/oven (coming soon) and Bosch for the dishwasher. I would HIGHLY recommend Bosch dishwashers.

• Agree
Reactions: Bader

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Generally speaking from a manufacturing/reliability standpoint it is harder to base decisions on brands compared to the past. As most production as moved around the world for household appliances there has been an increase in reliability issues and more variability within a brands own portfolio. For what it’s worth when we remodeled our kitchen recently we went with a Cafe (a GE brand) electric range, Bosch dishwasher, and Sub Zero refrigerator. As best I could, I picked models based on reliability that had the specs and features we needed. In all three cases that led me to models that weren’t the ‘top of the line’ for the brand and didn’t have some extra/newer features, all were middle of the brands lineup and had been selling that model for awhile.

Reactions: NodawayRiverClone

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Gas ranges are great for cooking, stove/oven are another thing. Our carbon monoxide detector went off one night and they found that our stove/oven was the source. We had baked something at least 6 hours before the alarm went off. They turned on the oven/stove and took a reading and within minutes it was well over the acceptable range.

When we have had to replace an appliance we have bought a Whirlpool brand and so far they have all held up well. My stand up deep freezer is a Montgomery Ward brand so I don't even want to know how old it is. We stock it with a 1/4 beef every year so I hope it doesn't fail on me unexpectedly. Been thinking about buying a 2nd deep freezer just to split the risk up but some of the reviews you see on the newer deep freezers make you wonder if they are any more reliable as they don't seem to have the same kind of longevity as much older models, My mother in law has a deep freezer that is an International Harvester brand and still works that is probably 70 years old which is proof that newer may not be better.
Newer is definitely not better in freezers or refrigerators.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Last time we remodeled the kitchen, we debated hard about converting to gas, but I couldn't justice piping all the way across the house to do it. I was 99% set on a GE induction stovetop when I looked at a Wolf one. Fell in love with it immediately. Heats up super fast, no knobs, so it's easy to clean and it's been workhouse for us.

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
We've got an induction range and won't go back to electric. Instant heat and control to the pan like gas, but doesnt heat up your entire kitchen. I wish it wasn't priced like a premium feature on ranges though. You can get a standalone induction range for a couple hundred but it adds a thousand to ranges. Most pans you buy now work with induction except for the cheapest aluminum pans. Only think to keep in mind is round bottom woks won't work.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Most pans you buy now work with induction except for the cheapest aluminum pans. Only think to keep in mind is round bottom woks won't work.
While this is technically true, I spent an obnoxious amount on an All-Clad set and I won't use anything else now. The difference between them and the other cheaper ones we've purchased is significant. More predictable and even heating and just easier to work with.