In the pocket!

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
I am curious what others think. Here are three possible reasons the staff wanted to keep Purdy in the pocket this year. First trying to keep him healthy. Second trying to build his draft stock by becoming more of an NFL pocket passer. Third believed an experienced team could transition styles while winning and be ready for Dekkers next year.

To me the experiment of keeping Purdy in the pocket was a failure. That strategy seemed to add 2-4 losses to the record. If there is an overriding big picture reason to do it maybe the season could feel more successful than the record.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
They killed his running spirit after he showed he could successfully do it as a freshman. THAT is who he was and what made him dangerous. It is ALSO what would have eventually allowed Dekkers to be the starter part way through last year. Dude would have eventually gotten drilled and taken out. He was tough but not THAT elusive.

I WANTED to see him run more. But, I am pretty happy he made it out of CFB with his brain intact. He was a gamer and would have given it all, but what they asked him to do was stay "in the game". So, that is what he did.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Has anyone stood next to Brock Purdy? I ran into him at halftime of the Iowa ISU hoops game. I was shocked about his size. I’m 5’10 and he is not taller than me.
Running him often would have gotten him killed. I loved it when he took off but he needed to be protected.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
To Brock's credit....he did go head first to get that first down and injure that Clemson LB.....at that point of game I was hopeful that he went back to being instinctive warrior to this game and not sliding feet first. If he slides on that play, they spot it at least 4 yards back and we have a worse situation.
Clemson is good.

Reactions: CyNews

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I am curious what others think. Here are three possible reasons the staff wanted to keep Purdy in the pocket this year. First trying to keep him healthy. Second trying to build his draft stock by becoming more of an NFL pocket passer. Third believed an experienced team could transition styles while winning and be ready for Dekkers next year.

To me the experiment of keeping Purdy in the pocket was a failure. That strategy seemed to add 2-4 losses to the record. If there is an overriding big picture reason to do it maybe the season could feel more successful than the record.
Too many times he had a decent pocket but instead of moving up just kept backpedaling 20 feet. That's not a recipe for a good pass game. Really tough night for him and yes he's on the mount rushmore of Cyclone football.

Also we did NOT throw enough screen passes to account for Clemson's insane DL, that was a disappointment.

ClonesInDallas

Dec 16, 2020
Has anyone stood next to Brock Purdy? I ran into him at halftime of the Iowa ISU hoops game. I was shocked about his size. I’m 5’10 and he is not taller than me.
Running him often would have gotten him killed. I loved it when he took off but he needed to be protected.

When you stood next to Brock were you in shock that he is able to throw the ball above his 6'3" and higher offensive linemen? Were you confused why throws were often batted down at the line of scrimmage? Running him outside the pocket to give him a larger throwing lane doesn't have to mean he's consistently hit. Frankly, I'm thankful for the success he's had here despite the way he was mismanaged

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Height is not related to batted passes directly but it is when the QB throws directly into the defensive linemen getting pressure or throws it at a DL shadowing him (the pick 6 etc).

I'd have loved for Brock to scramble more. The thing that honestly killed me was that I don't remember him even moving int he pocket - climbing when the pressure came from the outside and behind and stepping into the pocket or shuffling much side to side . It seemed a decent bit this year when he was forced off his spot he back pedaled or scrambled out, sometimes for good reason, other times I think he could have potentially stepped up or shuffled and given himself a clearer throwing window.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
When you stood next to Brock were you in shock that he is able to throw the ball above his 6'3" and higher offensive linemen? Were you confused why throws were often batted down at the line of scrimmage? Running him outside the pocket to give him a larger throwing lane doesn't have to mean he's consistently hit. Frankly, I'm thankful for the success he's had here despite the way he was mismanaged
[/QUO

Outside the pocket or through a hole in the mesh bag?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Dude fumbled 19 times in career, many in very important situations, has poor awareness of when to slide or get out of bounds. Running him more isn't a good idea.

• Dumb
Reactions: Urbandale2013

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
I liked him in the pocket. I cringed every time he scrambled. When he was scrambling he holds the ball out away from his body with one hand.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
For the coaching staff supposedly not wanting Purdy to run this year, he sure did a lot of running. He had 85 rushing attempts this year. 87 last year, and 93 his sophomore year. 100 as a freshman. So, some drop off from after his freshman year, then not much change after that.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
That's what this staff does to QB's. They make them so afraid of making mistakes that they lose their free spirit that made them great as an underclassman. That's why the offense works so much better when we're down 17. Nothing left to lose and you're willing to throw the ball into places that may not be 100% wide open. Trust your WR's to make the play and trust your QB to improvise.

• Dumb
Reactions: isutrevman

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I liked him in the pocket. I cringed every time he scrambled. When he was scrambling he holds the ball out away from his body with one hand.
Agree. Several times yesterday he ran himself into pressure that wasn't really there if he had stayed in the pocket or stepped up. He never developed the knack or confidence to step up into the pocket and always favored trying to run back and to the outside. I'm sure his lack of height doesn't help with that.

Reactions: quasistellar

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
For the coaching staff supposedly not wanting Purdy to run this year, he sure did a lot of running. He had 85 rushing attempts this year. 87 last year, and 93 his sophomore year. 100 as a freshman. So, some drop off from after his freshman year, then not much change after that.

Sacks count as runs too in CFB.

Reactions: quasistellar

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Sacks count as runs too in CFB.
Yes they do. His rushing yardage wasn't much different the last 3 years either though. His best rushing season was last year. This year was on par with his sophomore year. There just isn't evidence that they chose to run him significantly less this year.

Help Support Us

Become a patron