Injured player free throws

cypack747

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2013
I thought they changed the rule a couple years ago so that the OPPOSING coach got to choose who would shoot the free throws if the player got hurt. That way you can't fake an injury (obviously Mika wasn't faking) and bring your best free throw shooter off the bench.

I remember watching a Wisconsin game last year where Bo Ryan got to pick the free throw shooter of the opposing team because a kid got hurt.

Just wondering if I was totally off base here because that was obviously a huge swing in the game.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I thought the announcers said that in cases where it's caused by a flagrant foul the injured players coach can choose.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
When there is a flagrant foul, the injured players coach is allowed to select anyone from their team. If it is a "normal" foul, the opposing coach decides.

cypack747

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2013
When there is a flagrant foul, the injured players coach is allowed to select anyone from their team. If it is a "normal" foul, the opposing coach decides.

That makes sense then, thanks for the clarification Brent.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Is it a dead ball after the free throws then? Even with one and one?

A flagrant foul is always two free throws and the ball. So the bonus situation (i.e. one and one) is irrelevant.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I thought he had to select someone from his bench, that is the player who is coming in for the injured player. Is that not the case?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think it is but Haws was on the bench

Yes he was. However, I just looked up the rule and Blum was right, the coach could select any player to take the FTs.

Art. 3.​
When an injured player is unable to attempt a free throw try(s), one ofthe four remaining players on the playing court shall be selected by the opposing
coach to attempt the free throw try(s) unless the committed foul was flagrant. Insuch a case, the injured player’s coach shall select any player or team member to​
attempt the free throw try(s).

Feb 6, 2013

A flagrant foul is always two free throws and the ball. So the bonus situation (i.e. one and one) is irrelevant.

So in a "normal" foul situation, with the opposing coach deciding who will shoot, is it a dead ball after the free throw(s)?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
So in a "normal" foul situation, with the opposing coach deciding who will shoot, is it a dead ball after the free throw(s)?

In a common personal foul situation the only change from the norm is who is shooting. Otherwise it is treated exactly as if the player who was fouled is shooting. So it would play like a normal "and 1", "1 and 1", "2 shot" or "3 shot" free throw opportunity.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Unrelated but also a rules question. Used to be when the refs stopped the game/clock for an injured player, the injured player was required to sub out. I noticed in the MI game one of their players went down hard under the basket as ISU was hitting the outlet for a fast break attempt. The ref stopped the game, the UM player got up a little bit later, shook it off and went down court on defense.

Did the rule change or did I just misremember?

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Unrelated but also a rules question. Used to be when the refs stopped the game/clock for an injured player, the injured player was required to sub out. I noticed in the MI game one of their players went down hard under the basket as ISU was hitting the outlet for a fast break attempt. The ref stopped the game, the UM player got up a little bit later, shook it off and went down court on defense.

Did the rule change or did I just misremember?
If the ref stops the game and the coach/trainer doesn't enter the court he can stay in.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron