Injuries hampering football progress

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I attribute a decent amount of last years issues on the offensive line to Klenakis pushing them too hard. As far as the rest of them, I think it may just be bad luck.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
When we have guys out because of things other than ankles and ACLs, I'll worry more. The shoulder things worries me a little bit because it seems like we have an inordinate amount of shoulder injuries but we really haven't been an injury plagued team until last year and IIRC that was a lot of ankle stuff.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
There will always be injuries in football. The amount and variety have not been unusual, it is just unfortunate last year several happened to a specific group.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
We worry when we see some statistics highlighting a concern. Perception of an injury problem isn't enough.

BallSoHard4Cy

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
It can't be just injuries... everyone on the team has played football before. Mess was a big problem.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Those one yard blasts damaged the oline so at they had to leave for injuries.

Istate

Jul 15, 2008
Supposedly ISU's S&C does take an unique approach, but I'm far from trying to attribute injuries to that approach. I'm not ever sure it's a real big deal to have these injuries right now anyway. Do I think Irving needs to get better? Sure. Do I think he'll be worse because of missing some spring ball? No chance. So, that opens the door for a couple younger guys who need more reps to get time. Concussions are not a huge concern if ample time is given before contact happens again. David won't see contact again for 4 months. He'll be fine.

BallSoHard4Cy

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Now that he's gone I feel good saying I thought Klenakis was a terrible fit for us. Just not the right coach here.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Lack of being good is hampering football progress.

ChiefCy

Aug 4, 2008
Injuries were an issue all of last year too, when do we start to think it's our strength and conditioning and not rotten luck?

http://lubbockonline.com/sports/2014-04-07/injuries-hamper-progress-iowa-state-football#.U0SbufldX91

I'm not saying definitively that is what is causing it, but I feel like if injuries continue to be an issue all year, we may want to re-evaluate our conditioning. Just a thought.

I have thought about this too and may have commented but never started a tread. It seems like a number of years ago there was an abundance of injuries and after a change with S & C the injury problem seemed to be better. Someone in here made a pretty good comment that with a number of the injuries in the OL maybe that the position coach was a possible source of the problem. Tired players are more susceptible to injuries so that would make sense to me.

Apr 19, 2006
I don't see one thing in that article that would contribute to an injury as the result of S&C.

Dagel's injury was a freak deal. Daley didn't tape his ankle for whatever reason and as a result he learned a hard lesson from it. The concussion? That is going to happen. I know McKnight and his staff work the neck muscles as much as they can to try and help minimize concussions, but it's going to happen.

Do I need to talk about the homesickness? :unsure:

CyKings

Jun 5, 2013
Kansas City, KS
I don't see one thing in that article that would contribute to an injury as the result of S&C.

Dagel's injury was a freak deal. Daley didn't tape his ankle for whatever reason and as a result he learned a hard lesson from it. The concussion? That is going to happen. I know McKnight and his staff work the neck muscles as much as they can to try and help minimize concussions, but it's going to happen.

Do I need to talk about the homesickness? :unsure:

I realize not all of these injuries are due to S&C coaches, which is why I'm not sure we can attribute it to that, but if come fall we are still having a huge injury bug, the thought to look there should be on people's minds. If injuries start becoming a trend, there is likely some bigger problem, not just "dumb luck". Last year I feel like we had so many injuries and Richardson was never 100% which baffles me a little bit. If his ankle was really that bad, that it hampered him all season, he shouldn't have been playing at all. He should have just let it heal, and Rohach should have been the consistent starter, not just the last 3 games or whatever.

How your players train in the workouts plays a role in how likely you are to get an injury. Is there sometimes bad luck as some of them this year seem to be, yes... but if it starts becoming a trend, year after year, it's no longer bad luck, and it's time to start pointing some fingers.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron