INSIDER: Quick analysis on Rayjon Tucker

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I know you are being facetious but Penny actually is one of the few coaches who can get their foot in the door on name alone. Most all the kids vying to play high major ball know Penny Hardaway and the player that he was. Kids do put weight into that, although it won't win them recruits.

To think Memphis is dirty just because they are in on these guys is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.
Penny was a really good coach at the AAU level. Most kids remember Mike Miller playing days too and having 3 former NBA players on staff is a very attractive thing to them is an easy explanation. Memphis area has a ton of talent too, you'd have to be as bad of a coach as Josh Pastner to screw this up.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
I know you are being facetious but Penny actually is one of the few coaches who can get their foot in the door on name alone. Most all the kids vying to play high major ball know Penny Hardaway and the player that he was. Kids do put weight into that, although it won't win them recruits.

To think Memphis is dirty just because they are in on these guys is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

Memphis was dirty, then Calipari went to Kentucky!

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Memphis was dirty, then Calipari went to Kentucky!
Memphis has been dirty since way before Calipari. They had a final four vacated back in the 1985. Their head coach, Dana Kirk was scalping tickets, paying players and soliciting kickbacks from tourney promoters and was eventually indicted on 11 counts of tax evasion, false income tax returns, mail fraud and obstruction of justice and went to federal prison for 4 months.

Oh, and he only had 6 players graduate in his 7 years at Memphis. As in 6 players TOTAL.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I can sort of see your point. He finished his career in 2007 when incoming college freshmen were in Kindergarten or First grade. To the local Memphis kids, it makes a lot of sense that his name would carry a decent amount of weight.
That and the 30for30 with him and Shaq, that really got his name back into the mainstream for this generation of hoopers

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Penny was a really good coach at the AAU level. Most kids remember Mike Miller playing days too and having 3 former NBA players on staff is a very attractive thing to them is an easy explanation. Memphis area has a ton of talent too, you'd have to be as bad of a coach as Josh Pastner to screw this up.
Mike Miller is a top-tier recruiter from what I've been hearing. Obviously that is all hear-say and can really only base it on the kids they are in on, but it does not surprise me because that man seemed to be loved/respected on every NBA team he played on.

• Agree
Reactions: baagoe and jbindm

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

I thought Penny would do well from the jump. He's going to have the players. Will be interesting to see if he has coaching chops.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I thought Penny would do well from the jump. He's going to have the players. Will be interesting to see if he has coaching chops.
Yeah, that is a huge part of this too. His name is his name and he will be able to at least have discussions with almost any kid. Where he can turn this into a power house is how he coaches them up. As chadly said, he was a really good AAU coach, but as everyone and their mother should know it doesn't take too much to be a good AAU coach (i.e. have a rich crop of talent in your area). I do think Penny will have success there, but very curious to see how he continues to build that program.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yeah, that is a huge part of this too. His name is his name and he will be able to at least have discussions with almost any kid. Where he can turn this into a power house is how he coaches them up. As chadly said, he was a really good AAU coach, but as everyone and their mother should know it doesn't take too much to be a good AAU coach (i.e. have a rich crop of talent in your area). I do think Penny will have success there, but very curious to see how he continues to build that program.

I should make a point to watch them when they play one of the better teams on their schedule next year to see if they seem like a well-run team that plays together, puts forth good effort, and has coherence on defense, or if they just rely on talent alone.

They could clean up the American pretty easily with some of the recruiting that Penny is doing so far, though there are some decent programs like Wichita State and Cincinnati (and even UCF now) to stand in their way. I wonder how they would do this next year when they happen across a good/solid Big 12, Big Ten, or ACC team on the docket, though.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: srjclone

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Nothing more rich than a Kansas fan coming on a Iowa State board informing us which programs are dirty.
C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I should make a point to watch them when they play one of the better teams on their schedule next year to see if they seem like a well-run team that plays together, puts forth good effort, and has coherence on defense, or if they just rely on talent alone.

They could clean up the American pretty easily with some of the recruiting that Penny is doing so far, though there are some decent programs like Wichita State and Cincinnati (and even UCF now) to stand in their way. I wonder how they would do this next year when they happen across a good/solid Big 12, Big Ten, or ACC team on the docket, though.
I saw Memphis lose to Creighton last year in the NIT. Meh, their system was as bland as their roster. Maybe they will be better with these freshmen they're adding. We'll see.

• Informative
Reactions: Sigmapolis

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Memphis has been dirty since way before Calipari. They had a final four vacated back in the 1985. Their head coach, Dana Kirk was scalping tickets, paying players and soliciting kickbacks from tourney promoters and was eventually indicted on 11 counts of tax evasion, false income tax returns, mail fraud and obstruction of justice and went to federal prison for 4 months.

Oh, and he only had 6 players graduate in his 7 years at Memphis. As in 6 players TOTAL.

They may of vacated the Final Four appearance but Keith Lee's sweet ass dew will live forever! That thing was Soul Glo.

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa

Just as an aside, Did Huggins ever have a basketball player graduate while he was at Cincinnati ??

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I thought the Penny hire was fantastic. Also think the Stackhouse hire was a good one. IF they can coach these guys will get players. Kids see NBA and jump at it. Fred got a lot of kids that way including Royce.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc