Interesting matches in Humbolt

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
Mike Mal on Flo broke down the Carr v. Coleman match a bit. I forgot how tight that match was when they met.
I'm hoping Carr shows he's putting some distance between himself and the rest of 157, but that will be a fun match to watch.

125 - Terukina v. Schroder should be a good gauge to see how much Kysen has improved. Schroder's a top-10 guy and has been around the block. Here's hoping Terukina can open up on him with his slick offense and keep his D solid.

I'm very curious to see who we send out 133-149. Has anyone heard any rumblings to that end?

174 - Devine v. Nijenhuis will be interesting too. I think Nijenhuis was 165 last season, but he still looks like a solid NQ type up at 174. I'm hoping we see Devine handle him and solidify his spot at the weight a bit more. I've liked what I've seen out of Joel.

Any other match-ups you all are looking forward to?

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Mike Mal on Flo broke down the Carr v. Coleman match a bit. I forgot how tight that match was when they met.
I'm hoping Carr shows he's putting some distance between himself and the rest of 157, but that will be a fun match to watch.

125 - Terukina v. Schroder should be a good gauge to see how much Kysen has improved. Schroder's a top-10 guy and has been around the block. Here's hoping Terukina can open up on him with his slick offense and keep his D solid.

I'm very curious to see who we send out 133-149. Has anyone heard any rumblings to that end?

174 - Devine v. Nijenhuis will be interesting too. I think Nijenhuis was 165 last season, but he still looks like a solid NQ type up at 174. I'm hoping we see Devine handle him and solidify his spot at the weight a bit more. I've liked what I've seen out of Joel.

197...it'll be a really good gauge for Yonger to see if he pulled off a one time upset against Iowa or if he really is making that corner in folkstyle.

I'm betting we see Degen at 149

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016

I’d say also 41 and 84 as detailed here https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/purdue-match.268490/

Reactions: stuclone

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
197...it'll be a really good gauge for Yonger to see if he pulled off a one time upset against Iowa or if he really is making that corner in folkstyle.

I'm betting we see Degen at 149

I wonder if some of the better riders will start taking top when they wrestle Yonger. Given his struggles anywhere but on his feet it is almost a guaranteed riding time point. Not sure how easy he is to turn but he's probably good for a couple stall calls in a 2 minute period - especially if they call it like the heavyweight match against Iowa.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I just hope there’s a team to put on the mat with the way the flu has ravaged the team this week

my wife had a nasty bug and she works in ames. Unfortunate its Hitting the team during finals week

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I just hope there’s a team to put on the mat with the way the flu has ravaged the team this week
That would be how it goes. Only one decent dual on the schedule this year. Have to pay an extra $30 per ticket over the season tickets. Then none of the good matches happen.

Ocy Docy

Oct 26, 2018
The Purdue match will be another very good test of how the team is progressing. I hope all of regulars have missed, or are over, the flu and are able to wrestle.

(Rankings from Intermat)

125: Kysen Terukina #22 vs Devin Schroeder #7
As previously mentioned, a great opportunity for Kysen.

133: Ramazan Attasauov vs Matt Ramos
I'm surprised that there has not been more buzz surrounding Attasauov. He wrestled DeSanto very well, he won the U23 beating Patrick Glory and Rayvon Foley--he's looked nothing but solid and promising. Does anyone know how he fares with Redding in the room?

141: Zach Redding #17 vs Parker Filius #13
I'd love to see Parker back down to 141 (looked small against Murin). Filius went 1-2 at Natonals last year. Good opportunity for Redding (or Parker)

149: Degen #24 or Parker vs Trey Kruse
Not sure if Purdue could run anyone else out. Kruse 0-2 at CKLV

157: David Carr #1 vs Kendall Coleman #11
Carr beat Coleman 4-0 at the 2020 CKLV.

165: Who knows vs Emil Soehnlen
Hopefully a confidence-builder for whoever goes for us. Judge might have the most potential but seems to be prone to giving up back points.

174: Joel Devine vs Garret Nijenhuis #21
Joel has popped in and out of the top 33, and this is a terrific chance to make a statement.

184: Marcus Coleman #13 vs Max Lyon #20
Lyon is a 4 year starter who went 2-2 last year at the NCAA tournament. Another really good test.

197: Yonger Bastida #18 vs Thomas Penola #10
Penola is coming off a big performance at CKLV--beating Brucki, Woodley and DePrez (all Top 11 wrestlers, even after their losses to Penola). Another enormous opportunity.

285: Sam Schuyler vs Michael Woulfe
Egads! Woulfe wrestled at Navy 2012-16 (184 & 197), then served in the Navy until this year. Hopefully a good confidence match for Sam.

Lots of opportunities for quality wins!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The Purdue match will be another very good test of how the team is progressing. I hope all of regulars have missed, or are over, the flu and are able to wrestle.

(Rankings from Intermat)

125: Kysen Terukina #22 vs Devin Schroeder #7
As previously mentioned, a great opportunity for Kysen.

133: Ramazan Attasauov vs Matt Ramos
I'm surprised that there has not been more buzz surrounding Attasauov. He wrestled DeSanto very well, he won the U23 beating Patrick Glory and Rayvon Foley--he's looked nothing but solid and promising. Does anyone know how he fares with Redding in the room?

141: Zach Redding #17 vs Parker Filius #13
I'd love to see Parker back down to 141 (looked small against Murin). Filius went 1-2 at Natonals last year. Good opportunity for Redding (or Parker)

149: Degen #24 or Parker vs Trey Kruse
Not sure if Purdue could run anyone else out. Kruse 0-2 at CKLV

157: David Carr #1 vs Kendall Coleman #11
Carr beat Coleman 4-0 at the 2020 CKLV.

165: Who knows vs Emil Soehnlen
Hopefully a confidence-builder for whoever goes for us. Judge might have the most potential but seems to be prone to giving up back points.

174: Joel Devine vs Garret Nijenhuis #21
Joel has popped in and out of the top 33, and this is a terrific chance to make a statement.

184: Marcus Coleman #13 vs Max Lyon #20
Lyon is a 4 year starter who went 2-2 last year at the NCAA tournament. Another really good test.

197: Yonger Bastida #18 vs Thomas Penola #10
Penola is coming off a big performance at CKLV--beating Brucki, Woodley and DePrez (all Top 11 wrestlers, even after their losses to Penola). Another enormous opportunity.

285: Sam Schuyler vs Michael Woulfe
Egads! Woulfe wrestled at Navy 2012-16 (184 & 197), then served in the Navy until this year. Hopefully a good confidence match for Sam.

Lots of opportunities for quality wins!
So Woulfe is like 28?

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I got something VERY nasty earlier this week. Hit me hard for about 8 hours. I'll say this, if were talking about the same thing you don't want it. Or you will not be trusting a fart for MONTHS afterward.
So you are still trying to make it down to 125!!

• Funny
Reactions: BCClone

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Article in the Register today with a lot about Humboldt, state of Iowa wrestling, Coach Dresser, and Frank Gotch (note, I put a link to the Yahoo News version of the same DMR article further down below):
... “You hear Frank Gotch stories all the time,” Dresser says. “One of the best pizza places in town, Pasquale’s, there’s a huge picture of Frank Gotch from when he won the world championship in Chicago. He wasn’t just nationwide; he was worldwide.”

Back then, Gotch and Hackenschmidt practiced a style called catch wrestling, which uses many similar techniques as collegiate folkstyle and freestyle, one of the Olympic disciplines. Wrestlers won by either submission or by pin. Most matches were contested in a best-of-three format, and sometimes lasted an hour or more. ...

The video linked below is at also the top of the article linked above, but here is a direct link to the video alone -- and with, at either link -- much more on Dresser, more than I knew about him before:
Iowa State wrestling coach Kevin Dresser before Sunday's meet against Purdue at Humboldt HS (desmoinesregister.com)
Contributed Video: Iowa State Athletics Contributed Video: Iowa State Athletics, USA TODAY Handout

Per my note above, here is the same DMR article at Yahoo News, but without all the bells and whistles:
Sunday night's Iowa State-Purdue matchup is a chance to 'celebrate wrestling in Humboldt' (yahoo.com)

Finally, the print version of the DM Register today has a photo of Gotch and some others training at Gotch’s training center in Binknell Park in Humboldt — that is not available online (except in their online PDF edition of their print version, or E-Edition, available only to subscribers). It doesn't say which one is Gotch, but from the statue in the DMR article online, and another photo I copied below, Gotch appears to be the one on the left. I tried to upload the PDF, page 1 of the DM Register Sports Section, here, from their E-Edition, that has that photo, but unfortunately, the file for that page alone was too large to upload here at CF.

Below is the relevant paragraph from that DMR article with respect to the DMR photo, again, of Gotch and others training, that you can see in the print version of today's Register -- of Humboldt native Frank Gotch, "the greatest wrestler who ever lived" and world heavyweight champion in 1908. He defended his title in 1911 before 30,000 fans at Comiskey Park in Chicago:
... Bicknell Park is less than a mile from Humboldt High School, just on the other side of the Des Moines River. More than 100 years ago, this 2-acre plot of land was where Frank Gotch trained for his world championship professional wrestling bout. ...

“It was Gotch’s victories over the hitherto invincible Hackenschmidt that made him the most popular mat star in America and started a movement among college men to take up wrestling,” Fleischer wrote in his book.

... In July 2012, an 8-foot-tall bronze statue of Gotch was unveiled at — where else? — Bicknell Park.

1639776306514.png

Last edited:

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD

Humboldt*

It's cool everybody does it. But it bothers native Humboldters. Not trying to be a ****, which has also often been said of native Humboldters lol.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Reading about Dresser’s dad in that article:
Many years ago, a young Kevin Dresser rode with his dad, Skip, to various Humboldt wrestling events. Skip was one of the broadcasters for the local radio station, KHBT, and he let his oldest son get a front-row seat to the action. …

… reminded me of listening to the Western Iowa Conference tournament last year on KMA out of Shenandoah.

That tournament is this weekend also:

Anyway I hadn’t listened at all, or kept in touch for a long time, and the guy doing the color for KMA, Steve Baier, was good. He coached Griswold to a state championship in the early 1980s (when Griswold was still a WIC member). Coach Baier went on about the ref at one point, positively, who not only reffed when I was in high school, but lived just down the road, and who I first knew from riding the school bus. This was way back when Bob Gibson was pitching the Cardinals to a World Series championship.

Then, I don’t recall exactly, but the team race came down to Underwood and Logan-Magnolia I believe, which were both ranked, maybe top 5 or top 10 in the state. Anyway, it all came down to the final match — heavyweight — where Lo-Ma needed a win to win the team championship as I recall.

I think the Lo-Ma heavyweight was ranked, but the Missouri Valley guy was good. It was close and exciting, with the outcome in doubt throughout.

The Lo-Ma guy won, winning the team title also — about as exciting as it gets.

In the distant past (pre-streaming, so the number of games was more limited), I recall listening to top basketball games on KMA once or twice, but never wrestling. Results sure, but not the competition. It was fun listening to it last year.

The tournament this year is on both KMA-FM and YouTube:
Saturday's WIC Tournament can be heard on KMA-FM 99.1 and watched on the KMA Sports YouTube Channel. …

Edit -- 1:45 PM Saturday: I'm not sure what time the WIC tournament starts. Also, according to the article I linked below, only the finals will be shown on their YouTube Channel (so unlike last year, I believe, the KMA-FM stream likely correlates with that). I should add that I think, but am not sure, that KMA might be new to broadcasting wrestling on YouTube. Looking back at their YouTubes, I see the Oakland Riverside wrestling tournament from last week, so maybe it will be like that.

Direct links to both the KMA Sports YouTube Channel and their FM stream are available in the article below -- an article specifically on the WIC tournament -- from yesterday. It lists ranked wrestlers at each weight:

Everything you should know about the Western Iowa Conference Wrestling Tournament | Sports | kmaland.com

Final Edit: I checked, and see they started streaming about an hour ago, 2:20 PM. I can see two mats going (finals and consolation). Gable Porter wrestling at 138 right now, up a weight class, the number 2 ranked wrestler at 132, versus the number 12 ranked Sean Thomson at 138.

Final Note: Underwood won handily, Lo-Ma finished second, and Missouri Valley, third. Towards the end of the action (near the end of the final consolation match), I think they said KMA's next broadcast will be of a tournament in Atlantic -- Atlantic-CAM, is currently ranked 6th in 2A -- on January 8. They said Humboldt will be one of the teams wrestling in that.

After that, they said that they will also broadcast the big John J. Harris tournament in Corning, and the Hawkeye Ten tournament, to conclude this season's coverage. In the distant past, I seem to recall that they might have broadcast the Corning tournament, and maybe others, but I don't recall ever listening in any great detail. When I wasn't wrestling on Saturdays, I was probably doing farm work.

Final Western Iowa Conference Tournament KMA Links

YouTube Stream - Finals (Consolations in background)

Post-Tournament Interviews

KMA Article

Upcoming KMA Wrestling Broadcasts, 2021-22 Season

Per my notes, what I heard near the very end of the WIC stream linked above, as the consolations were wrapping up.

January 8, The Atlantic Tournament, Atlantic, Iowa
- 21 teams listed there, includes Humboldt, Underwood, some other good teams I know of.
- [Well, I don’t see the list of teams on my iPhone now, but they were perfectly clear on a Windows laptop. See note underlined and in brackets below, under Hawkeye 10 Conference Tournament, for another way to see the teams at this tournament.]

January 22, The John J. Harris Tournament, Corning, Iowa (Southwest Valley High School)
- Just the date and location are listed above. Previously, started Friday, and was two days, so I am not altogether positive that it doesn't start a day prior to what they list there (maybe Covid changed something up?)
- [See note underlined and in brackets below, under Hawkeye 10 Conference Tournament, for another way to see the 23? participating teams.]
- Used to be about the largest in the state, 16-20 teams or whatever, involving an overnight stay for most, and schools of difference sizes and parts of the state (all things probably more common now).
- At a glance, I don't see the teams for this year's tournament, though many return yearly. I see that the primary announcer for the WIC tournament stream above -- Trevor Maeder -- in a KMA article just last year, assembled a nice database of past winners:
... This database contains 61 tournaments worth of individual champions (from 1960 to 2020), all of the team champions since the tournament began in 1956, and a list of how many individual champions each school has had since 1960. ...

January 29, Hawkeye 10 Conference Tournament, Atlantic, Iowa
- Found link under the "Conference Calendar" tab, Jan. 29, at 10:30 AM "Wrestling Varsity: H-10"
- [Note: this is an alternate way to find teams wrestling at the Jan. 8 and Jan. 22 tournaments listed above. Since Hawkeye 10 conference members are wrestling at both, just click on those dates under Conference Calendar, and look for those tournaments listed there. Click again and you will see all the tournament teams, whether Hawkeye 10 or not.]

I'd encourage anyone who wants to listen to (possibly watch) these tournaments, to visit the KMA website a day or two prior, and the day of, for more detail (for example, is it just the finals?, or more?). If they are streamed on YouTube, I imagine the stream will be available to watch later on their YouTube channel. KMA does a lot, though, and written articles tend to scroll pretty fast off of their main page. So if you want to find an article later that you believe should be there, and don't see it, you might try an internet search.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron