Interesting MBB stats that might surprise you

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The fact that we are 5-3 despite being dead last in rebounding margin (by a significant amount) is pretty impressive.

The scoring averages are good because of the half of each game where the offense is outstanding. The perplexing part is the half where neither the ball or the players move at all. The announcers comment on it every game; you'd have to be blind not to see it. Stretches of making or not making shots are expected.

Informal observation is also that things seem to go very well at times with a particular line up, and then that line up gets scratched/subbed, then things don't go well, and the initial successful line up is not heard from again.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone11

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
4 of those wins over the worst teams in the conference, just wait

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006
The Cincinnati game told us all we needed to know.
Can't find ways to score when needed, no depth, lack of toughness.

isu83

May 5, 2010
And those close games are the key. The great seasons are realized when you win them. We lost to Baylor and KU by what 6 points.

• Agree
Reactions: swarthmoreCY

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Iowa State has scored 33 or fewer points in 3 of the past 6 halves of basketball. I know Prohm likes to just let guys play, but when everything stagnates he really needs to force some offense to happen. Or this team just doesn't have the personnel to run that kind of offense.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Has had two years!
Not really. Fred left in June of 2015, not really an ideal time for a head coach to take over. His recruiting classes are good. Last year he had no time to change anything around and didn't want to mess with Niang. He handled the personnel amazingly I thought, especially with McKay and BDJ.

He found some stop gaps in Holden and Bowie, that many on here were raving about. But those two were the backup plan if Malou or Lard didn't work out. They haven't exactly worked out, and some of that is on CSP. But I can tell you it's not for a lack of working them hard.

Now some of CSP's in-game coaching is questionable and I will not argue that point. He won't either. It's funny, not in a ha ha way, that he says all of the things in the post game that you all complain about in the game threads. So he knows the problems, but unfortunately it's like he needs more time, which you don't have.

Will this guy work out? No clue, but I think it's a disservice of us to not allow him to coach his kids that he's bringing in before we send him packing. Most on here think to this day McDermott is a bad coach. It didn't work out here, but to say he's not a great coach is silly.

CSP isn't going anywhere this year, and probably not next year. So I would suggest stopping the witch hunt if you truly love the Cyclones.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: socalcy and cygrads

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Not really. Fred left in June of 2015, not really an ideal time for a head coach to take over. His recruiting classes are good. Last year he had no time to change anything around and didn't want to mess with Niang. He handled the personnel amazingly I thought, especially with McKay and BDJ.

He found some stop gaps in Holden and Bowie, that many on here were raving about. But those two were the backup plan if Malou or Lard didn't work out. They haven't exactly worked out, and some of that is on CSP. But I can tell you it's not for a lack of working them hard.

Now some of CSP's in-game coaching is questionable and I will not argue that point. He won't either. It's funny, not in a ha ha way, that he says all of the things in the post game that you all complain about in the game threads. So he knows the problems, but unfortunately it's like he needs more time, which you don't have.

Will this guy work out? No clue, but I think it's a disservice of us to not allow him to coach his kids that he's bringing in before we send him packing. Most on here think to this day McDermott is a bad coach. It didn't work out here, but to say he's not a great coach is silly.

CSP isn't going anywhere this year, and probably not next year. So I would suggest stopping the witch hunt if you truly love the Cyclones.
On the very first day he walked on to Ames, he knew he needed to get a top replacement for Niang. Now, two years later we don't have that guy, and I could argue that at the end of next season we aren't going to have him either. (IMO, Young is not the guy.) And, worse, I don't see any blue chip replacements on the bench for Burton, Morris, and ___ Long, either. Hey, I get that CSP is our coach. I just want him to do something. Soon.

• Agree
Reactions: socalcy

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
On the very first day he walked on to Ames, he knew he needed to get a top replacement for Niang. Now, two years later we don't have that guy, and I could argue that at the end of next season we aren't going to have him either. (IMO, Young is not the guy.) And, worse, I don't see any blue chip replacements on the bench for Burton, Morris, and ___ Long, either. Hey, I get that CSP is our coach. I just want him to do something. Soon.

You mean like having one of the best recruiting classes in school history signed?

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
  • Informative
Reactions: SCarolinaCy

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Fred would have a Niang replacement by now.

That's funny since he didn't have anyone in the pipeline to replace him.

I think he might have managed to get Bonzie Colson if he was serious about staying in Ames. That's about as Niang as it gets. I think we were in on him long before Notre Dame but cooled for some reason.

Clones8686

Jan 19, 2015
Pretty easy out of conference schedule helped inflate the offensive numbers. Against good competition, this offense has been pedestrian.
Not to mention we played two of the most uptempo teams in the entire country - adjust these numbers for the competition and it's a completely different story.

edt: actually we played the top two uptempo teams and they're top two by a mile

Help Support Us

Become a patron