Interesting Mess article

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Mess was on the call in show right before Christmas and had some interesting things to say. He was asked about the move to the press box and really explained why he thought the move was beneficial. It was interesting to me since I don't know as much about football.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
I'm one who thinks every coordinator should be in the box. Communication with your players is not as important as seeing the opposing side of the ball, efficiently. The little things like, noticing a safety moving up 2 yards before the snap, is what you won't see on field level.

Karsten21

May 4, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I remember an article earlier this year about how things were going to be different with him being on the sidelines, compared to other OC we have had and not being in the box. I didn't know he moved to the box midway through the season. I think it would have made his job easier if we had the same QB all year those points would have been higher. Maybe Sam can do that next year for us.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
I'm one who thinks every coordinator should be in the box. Communication with your players is not as important as seeing the opposing side of the ball, efficiently. The little things like, noticing a safety moving up 2 yards before the snap, is what you won't see on field level.

I'm not asking this sarcastically or anything, but do you think Wally should be in the box?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Curious but can anyone hazard a guess as to the percentage of programs that call plays from the box vs. from the sideline?

And Wally always needs box time... Else he gets angry and nobody likes and angry Wally.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
I'm not asking this sarcastically or anything, but do you think Wally should be in the box?

I'll answer this. Wally has proven at multiple schools(FSU, USCe, USF, and ISU) that he can coach defense. I trust his years of experience anywhere on the field.

Messingham however is in Year 1 of being a BCS OC. I think being in the box could be very beneficial for him when looking for what the defense is doing.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
In my opinion, it is much easier for a DC to operate from the sideline. The defense, at it's most basic level, is just reacting to what the offense is doing. The DC tries to get guys aligned to give the greatest advantage given the situation, but at the end of the day it's up to the defender to defeat a blocker and make a tackle. However, the OC has much more ability to change the game by adjusting alignments, changing blocking schemes, using formations etc to control where the defense lines up. Therefore it's much more important for the OC to view the offense-versus-defense matchup in a wholistic fashion - unit against unit rather than player against player. So the OC really gets the greatest benefit by being in the box.

I also think the "feel" of the game is much more important defensively, when a burst of adrenaline can better help a player react. I want my defense playing like their hair is on fire, and the ball carrier has the fire extinguisher. The offense needs to be calm and in control, and position coaches and the head coach can manage that from the sideline without having the coordinator down there.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I like Messingham in the box, especially since we have a guy like Sturdy with coordinator experience on the sideline. And since Sturdy has worked with quarterbacks and receivers, he can talk to both.

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny
Good read. I think Mess has a lot of potential as OC. It seemed like every game we started out great and were throwing all kinds of different plays at the defense with a lot of success but then after a couple of good drives it felt like we would just run the same 4 plays over and over again. Hopefully Mess has learned a lot from his first year as OC and we will be much improved next year.

....Also doesn't hurt to have a good QB I am sure.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Mess took a lot of the blame for the faltering offense, and he did have some real headscratching games, but the OL was just not very good this year. Even against a West Virginia team that couldn't stop anyone the offense struggled to protect the QB or estabish the run.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Mess took a lot of the blame for the faltering offense, and he did have some real headscratching games, but the OL was just not very good this year. Even against a West Virginia team that couldn't stop anyone the offense struggled to protect the QB or estabish the run.

WVU wasn't that bad up front.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
We had 234 rushing yards and a 5.1 YPC average against WVU (who was okay against the run this year). Our issue was passing, which was much more because of the wind and WRs than the OL.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Mess I think is liked overall by Iowa State faithful...not quite loved like CPR and Wally are but he could quickly become that with showing what type of game he is capable of calling. He had some real headscratching games/calls early in the year, but those things aren't acceptable come bowl game time. We'll hopefully see him show his potential as an OC in Memphis. He should have plenty of gamefilm on Tulsa's D and has a young, but reliable QB that shows if put in advantageous positons can succeed. Would hate to see Richardson handcuffed/not allowed to show his abilities in the Liberty Bowl.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Dude, chill out. He had the humility to change what he was doing in the middle of the season. I think it's harder to find a coach willing to change something like that than one who "knows" what's best. He hadn't called plays for over 10 years, and last time he did he was at a small school where coaching from the sideline might have been sufficient.