Iowa adds Women's Wrestling

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This is definitely great for the sport and will change the landscape of college and high school wrestling! Who will be the next Power 5 conference to follow suit? Iowa State?
I think it would be great but they have to get the budget ironed out.

The more I think about it this is a really strange move considering less than a year ago Iowa cut a couple of programs due to their budget.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and motorcy90

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Depends on what scholarships numbers are but this would be a way for girls to get some money for college. Assuming to fill a team some schools would have to recruit kids that normally wouldn’t get a shot.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Pretty cool, but I would imagine it will take some time to gather the kind of numbers it will take to make it a widespread, competitive sport.

It’s already grown exponentially in Iowa and other states in past five years or so. Very ideal compared to the 90s and 00s situation of just a single female competing in all men’s division with no women’s option.

I’m sure UFC has played a part but I also think it’s just the natural solution to create equal participation and avoid the issues that existed without women’s divisions.

Reactions: Cyclones1969

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I have no idea what the numbers are but I would think that wrestling is quite a bit cheaper to run than swimming or diving
the scholarship #'s would likely be about the same. iowa already had the students pay for a new swimming facility. a new wrestling facility is being built. All but one of their meets is a bus trip.
I can't help but think that Iowa wanted a new wrestling facility, but ran into a big donor that suggested giving more $$$ if there was a women's program? I also wonder how long this has been in the works. I suspect well before March of 2020.