Iowa announces Scott Brickman, former COO of Swarm collective, as ASP General Manager of NIL/Strategy & Operations.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Colorado State maybe

Bowling Green?
I originally had the second example as Toledo but decided not to compare ISU to a perennial MAC contender. Probably should have found something closer to the average of BG and Toledo. Maybe like a Georgia Southern.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
If I were an AD I'd try to funnel money into a pool and have it redistributed. If nothing else it would eliminate this scenario. Wealthy donor directly plays player X large sum to come pay QB. For whatever reason player does not start. Donor contacts coach and applies pressure to play "his guy" or tells AD he is going to spend money elsewhere if "his guy" does not play.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I originally had the second example as Toledo but decided not to compare ISU to a perennial MAC contender. Probably should have found something closer to the average of BG and Toledo. Maybe like a Georgia Southern.

Think a better example in Georgia would be GT being second fiddle to UGA

If we’re going to play this game let’s
compare ourselves to schools we have a similar profile to. Wazzu and ORSt are better comparisons, not directional state schools. And we have nothing in common with a school like Drake.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Think a better example in Georgia would be GT being second fiddle to UGA

If we’re going to play this game let’s use
compare ourselves to schools we have a similar profile to. Wazzu and ORSt are better comparisons, not directional state schools. And we have nothing in common with a school like Drake.
I don't think he was saying we'll become Drake/UNI. He's saying the gap between P2 and schools like ISU will begin to resemble the current gap between where we're currently at and UNI/Drake as things stand today.

I think that gap (mid-FCS level) is a bit too much but comparing it to mid-G5 seems plausible. I think there will definitely be a gap, it's just hard to know how big it will be in the long run.

But yeah, that's basically what UGA is to GT right now, although GT has almost zero fan support.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cy Guy69

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don't think he was saying we'll become Drake/UNI. He's saying the gap between P2 and schools like ISU will begin to resemble the current gap between where we're currently at and UNI/Drake as things stand today.

I think that gap (mid-FCS level) is a bit too much but comparing it to mid-G5 seems plausible. I think there will definitely be a gap, it's just hard to know how big it will be in the long run.

But yeah, that's basically what UGA is to GT right now, although GT has almost zero fan support.
Yes, I was a being a bit drastic, but that was my point. Thank you.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cyched

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
Gotta love our recruits (Helton) talking about the potential of a 12-team playoff, and competing for a national championship; while our "loyal" fans are convinced we're on the fast track to becoming New Mexico State.

Surprised our fanbase has managed to copulate and multiply with the nutcups so firmly attached :rolleyes:

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Laugh all you want, but the separation of powers is happening in college athletics right now. You are blind not to see it.
Do u understand that Iowa State has been in this position since the 70's? Big 8 had unequal revenue sharing since then. Did u realize Nebraska and ksu had unlimited prop 48 athletes when iowa state self-imposed a limit of 2 per semester for all sports? Did u realuze we had the most progressive drug testing of all D-1 universities while college fb went balls deep on steroid usage in the '82- '00 time frame? We are in a better position now then we have ever been in.

Now it's all above board and we will deal with it. Get used to it; it hasn't changed. To act like this is new is naive. Never looked better.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If I were an AD I'd try to funnel money into a pool and have it redistributed. If nothing else it would eliminate this scenario. Wealthy donor directly plays player X large sum to come pay QB. For whatever reason player does not start. Donor contacts coach and applies pressure to play "his guy" or tells AD he is going to spend money elsewhere if "his guy" does not play.
I remember the first days of the NIL free for all. I was listening to a podcast (forget who, but was well connected, I believe was an old athlete) and they were telling of this coach they knew had a donor come up and "buy" this player for the school. The coach asked this podcaster, what to do because they didn't want that player but now had them being pushed on him.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Lol! NIL has a lot of people ready to jump off a ledge anyntime news breaks. Most don't really understand what this means, yet they are just certain this is going to give Iowa a significant edge over ISU.

Reactions: Tailg8er and Cyched

Cy Guy69

Nov 2, 2023
Lol! NIL has a lot of people ready to jump off a ledge anyntime news breaks. Most don't really understand what this means, yet they are just certain this is going to give Iowa a significant edge over ISU.
For one, we have a few donors help a lot with basketball recruiting

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I'm hoping and guessing at the same time that having a guy that used to work for Swarm will help steer some of the donations the AD used to get into the NIL. Seems like Beth is totally all in on Swarm and NIL at this point.
One thing to remember: Money is driving everything right now in college sports. And we are talking large sums of money. That inevitably leads to greed. And greed leads to corruption.

This pertains to all schools. It won't be long before we hear stories of embezzlement

• Agree
Reactions: iahawks and GoHawks

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
One thing to remember: Money is driving everything right now in college sports. And we are talking large sums of money. That inevitably leads to greed. And greed leads to corruption.
38c92283-3273-4ec5-a432-130c1e282950_text.gif

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012

This pertains to all schools. It won't be long before we hear stories of embezzlement
Yep, college sports has always been a very slimy business and it is only getting worse.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Yep, college sports has always been a very slimy business and it is only getting worse.
I am not convinced it is worse. The U of Chicago left the big 10 after winning 5 (?) national championships in FB, the first Heisman winner, and overall great athletic programs in 1942???

Why did they leave the big 10?? It didn't fit their academic profile anymore and they got tired of playing the money game with the athletes. The slime was greater at that time, imo.

Same story just a different verse with NIL. Nothing has really changed.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I am not convinced it is worse. The U of Chicago left the big 10 after winning 5 (?) national championships in FB, the first Heisman winner, and overall great athletic programs in 1942???

Why did they leave the big 10?? It didn't fit their academic profile anymore and they got tired of playing the money game with the athletes. The slime was greater at that time, imo.

Same story just a different verse with NIL. Nothing has really changed.
I agree it has always been dirty, but it will get even worse with the transfer rules, open pay for play and the portal.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I agree it has always been dirty, but it will get even worse with the transfer rules, open pay for play and the portal.
From 1885 until the 60's (??), athletes were paid, transfered and didn't go to class and whatever we are doing now is worse? I would contend the athletes today, through tutoring and online availability, is 10x better than it was.

U of C told the big 10 to pound sand with all of their shenanigans. Hell, look at the angel of John Wooden and he was a great coach. They had a general contractor paying his athletes for 20 years. He was crooked as hell and turned his head on this issue.

Help Support Us

Become a patron