Iowa basketball

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I had a chance to watch Iowa for the first time all season. I was starting to get worried with all of the talk about how much better they are than last year.

Mike G is a great PG and will be good for them for a long time. Other than that, they looked pretty much as terrible as last year.

Woody is pretty solid on offense, as he commands some defensive help for shorter teams. Nothing scary. I loved the fact that Eric May/Gabe O are still getting minutes from them.

I will have to watch them tonight, but I feel much better about playing them in Carver this year.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Gessell is not a great point guard by any stretch of the imagination.

I dont know. Again, I was basing this off last nights game and he played pretty well. He has some potential to be good for them for a while.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I've noticed they give up a lot of offensive rebounds. It'll be interesting to see if that trend continues once they stop playing the sisters of the poor.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I was a little surprised this happened, with WSU losing most all of their starters from last year. Cleanthony Early really dominated this game.

I wasn't surprised, Iowa is still not a good team. They will get there butts whipped come the Big 10. Franny is a good coach but they will not rise up this year and shock people.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Watched a bit of it. Seems like if you match up with them defensively, and are able to switch rather than hedge and recover, you can take a good part of their game away. Woodbury is apparently a fouling machine.

I watched the game. Couple things.

1) Iowa is more balanced then last year. Though this might not be a good thing.

2) Can't find out who takes the clutch shots for them. Gessell is their best player, but doesn't command the ball in big situations. Iowa State has 2 players I believe can do this, McGee and Clyburn, and will their team to win a game.

3) Inside play is terrible. Early was easily the best big man and it wasn't even close tonight. Woodbury was sitting on the bench for most of the game. I watched Woodbury twice and high school and warned people that he was a major project. So far I'm right.

4) Oglesby is a decent shooter, need to have Babb or McGee on him.

5) Take out Gessell and I think ISU could rout them. He's their whole team right now. White and Marble were not impressive tonight. If it wasn't for Iowa's 3 point shooting, they would have lost by 20 tonight.

As of now, ISU is about 10-15 points better then Iowa right now. (If the game was played 10 times, this would be the average result).

Last edited:

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota

1) Iowa is more balanced then last year. Though this might not be a good thing.

2) Can't find out who takes the clutch shots for them. Gessell is their best player, but doesn't command the ball in big situations. Iowa State has 2 players I believe can do this, McGee and Clyburn, and will their team to win a game.

3) Inside play is terrible. Early was easily the best big man and it wasn't even close tonight. Woodbury was sitting on the bench for most of the game. I watched Woodbury twice and high school and warned people that he was a major project. So far I'm right.

4) Oglesby is a decent shooter, need to have Babb or McGee on him.

5) Take out Gessell and I think ISU could rout them. He's their whole team right now. White and Marble were not impressive tonight. If it wasn't for Iowa's 3 point shooting, they would have lost by 20 tonight.

As of now, ISU is about 10-15 points better then Iowa right now. (If the game was played 10 times, this would be the average result).

I agree with everything (to a point) except the bolded. Iowa is very young, and there will be growing pains this year no doubt. There have been flashes of what this team is capable of, but then they can also put up some stinkers. I don't think ISU would rout Iowa if played today, it would be a closer game than you might think, but I think ISU would pull it out. At carver it would be 50-50, at ISu it would be 80-20.

Also, if you take out Early, Iowa wins this one going away as well. You can't just take out stats as you want to manipulate the score. What this game was, was a very hard fought game against a decent opponent, where the Hawks could get apsolutely nothing going offensively in the second half.

isuchicago

Apr 11, 2006

You got this from watching tonights game? This was the first time I've seen them play this year, but I didn't see him getting much done. Could be just one bad game, but I wasn't impressed.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Hawk fans are already turning on Woody. He'll be good but not so much this year. Gessell is good but Hawk fans think they can ride him to wins. He's not THAT good. I think they are a year away from an NCAA bid which is fine since Fran is doing it the right way. roll eyes

breck53

Aug 29, 2008
Hawk fans are already turning on Woody. He'll be good but not so much this year. Gessell is good but Hawk fans think they can ride him to wins. He's not THAT good. I think they are a year away from an NCAA bid which is fine since Fran is doing it the right way. roll eyes

Hawk fans are turning on Woody????? Really?? And how did you come up with this-in your fertile imagination? Wow...

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I stumbled across this game (WSU) last night.

In the two minutes I watched, Iowa came across as really S...L...O...W, like division 2 women's team slow.

K

KFitzy87

I've liked what I've seen out of Gesell. He is going to give teams pains for the next few years. Woodbury could be a good player but needs to get beefier before he'll be a force.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Lucious guards Gesell, Babb guards Marble, Ejim guards White. Freshman Niang scores at will against Basabe

Not worried whatsoever with Hickory (IN) Hawkeyes.

The only threat of the great Hickory Hawks to hang with ISU? The ridiculous official Eddie 'quick whistle' Hightower who ruins games at Carver and puts Iow on the free throw line 30 times, and Iowa slopping-in 3-pt shots.

I've never seen a worse official who blows the whistle in anticipation of a foul

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Lucious guards Gesell, Babb guards Marble, Ejim guards White. Freshman Niang scores at will against Basabe

Not worried whatsoever with Hickory (IN) Hawkeyes.

The only threat of the great Hickory Hawks to hang with ISU? The ridiculous official Eddie 'quick whistle' Hightower who ruins games at Carver and puts Iow on the free throw line 30 times, and Iowa slopping-in 3-pt shots.

I've never seen a worse official who blows the whistle in anticipation of a foul

You could have stopped right there.

HawkGuy

Sep 1, 2012
Iowa will get blasted by Iowa State by 20-30 points. I've been unimpressed with the Hawkeyes so far. I said they weren't an NCAA team this year but they still may be 2-3 years away. I'm an Iowa fan but am realistic, Iowa State has things rolling right now and Iowa is nothing more than an average mid-major team playing in Big Ten. I'd say Iowa is maybe the 10th/11th best team in Big Ten.