Iowa Beat Writers

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'm nice, but kids can be extremely annoying. I don't hate them, but I could do without their presence in plenty of situations.

Sure. But a coffee shop shouldn’t be one of those expected situations. I can see getting annoyed by someone bringing a baby to a movie, maybe the library reading areas, or even at a nice restaurant. But, a coffee shop? Get a set of headphones if you want quiet in public.

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
There’s plenty of places I don’t want to bring my own kids but that tweet by him is completely douche behavior.

There are definitely places that kids shouldn’t be but coffee shops are not one of those places.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Sure. But a coffee shop shouldn’t be one of those expected situations. I can see getting annoyed by someone bringing a baby to a movie, maybe the library reading areas, or even at a nice restaurant. But, a coffee shop? Get a set of headphones if you want quiet in public.
I agree, the post I responded to was way over the top. Coffee shops are known as relatively quiet spaces that many people use to work. I probably wouldn't tweet about it, but maybe get the coffee to go if your kids are running around and yelling?

Last edited:

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
What are the odds he took his laptop to the coffee shop to get away from his own distracting, noisy kids/family, only to be punked by these other people who had the audacity to bring their kids with them? To a public coffee shop? Where people might be expected to have family members with them? Oh, the irony …

(If I went to a generally quiet public space to work, and then a family with some noisier kids came in, I’d be a bit peeved, but mainly at my own bad luck instead of using social media to attack this family going about their day. It’s not on them to pipe down and treat your coffee shop like a library, if you need quiet to work it’s on you to have headphones/find a quieter spot.)

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
What are the odds he took his laptop to the coffee shop to get away from his own distracting, noisy kids/family, only to be punked by these other people who had the audacity to bring their kids with them? To a public coffee shop? Where people might be expected to have family members with them? Oh, the irony …

(If I went to a generally quiet public space to work, and then a family with some noisier kids came in, I’d be a bit peeved, but mainly at my own bad luck instead of using social media to attack this family going about their day. It’s not on them to pipe down and treat your coffee shop like a library, if you need quiet to work it’s on you to have headphones/find a quieter spot.)

Agreed. Anytime I see people trying to do work, they have noise cancelling headphones. It’s the only way to concentrate in public. Maybe he’s just too cheap to invest in a good pair of headphones?

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Agreed. Anytime I see people trying to do work, they have noise cancelling headphones. It’s the only way to concentrate in public. Maybe he’s just too cheap to invest in a good pair of headphones?
And apparently home internet service.

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County
Does anyone know if he has kids? I kind of sympathize because I used to be that douchebag that would get extremely annoyed by kids in restaurants and planes and whatnot (not enough to say anything on Twitter or in person, I’m not an idiot.) but that all completely changed when I had a kid. Doesn’t even remotely phase me at all now. The only thing I think of now is empathy for the parents or I think about what an ******* I used to be.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Does anyone know if he has kids? I kind of sympathize because I used to be that douchebag that would get extremely annoyed by kids in restaurants and planes and whatnot (not enough to say anything on Twitter or in person, I’m not an idiot.) but that all completely changed when I had a kid. Doesn’t even remotely phase me at all now. The only thing I think of now is empathy for the parents or I think about what an ******* I used to be.
Getting annoyed by kids doesn't make someone a douchebag

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'm going to give him the benefit of doubt and assume that this was a situation with a single parent with young kids who were terrorizing the place in a manner that would have bothered everyone there.