Iowa Beers Release/Distribution Thread

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
I still love King Sue, it's like a gold standard in my book. It's probably all gone now, but their latest release (collab with BlackStack) Safety Porpoises was great. If you see any Imperial Golden Nugget, it's worth a try.

But yeah, otherwise a lot of the TG IPAs often just miss the mark for me. There are so many great options out there for IPAs just in Iowa, you can usually find something a little better.

Mornin' Latte is still killer when you can find it!
I still like their stuff a lot. I buy DDH King Sue when I see it. Its just that I do most of my beer shopping either at breweries or in Wisconsin/Illinois. I didn't realize safety porpoises was a Blackstack collab, missed the boat on that one.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
4 heavy hitters are coming to Iowa in the next few weeks.

Untitled Art-According to my wife, pretty much the best seltzers made. I'm taking a trip to Madison in a few weeks and plan on visiting.
Modist-I've only had one from them but it was solid
Fair State-Pretty good overall. I've had mirror universe and BBRR, which were decent.
WELDWERKS!-This is the big dog that I've been waiting for. On our way to Yellowstone last year had a bunch of Weldwerks and everything I had was top notch.

I wonder if the Weldwerks distributor can start bringing me some Confluence / 515. I can buy TG in CO now.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Adventures is really good but they are not shy with their prices. I was up in cedar falls last weekend and I was looking at their beer and decided I would splurge and pay $18 for a 4 pack. When I picked it up I realized it was a 2 pack.....

• Wow
Reactions: NWICY and cyfanatic

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Adventures is really good but they are not shy with their prices. I was up in cedar falls last weekend and I was looking at their beer and decided I would splurge and pay $18 for a 4 pack. When I picked it up I realized it was a 2 pack.....
Uff da. I've only ever seen their stouts in that price range. Most of their IPAs are right around 20. They use a lot of cryo hops so the TIPAs and QIPAs can creep up to around 25 once in awhile.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I still love King Sue, it's like a gold standard in my book. It's probably all gone now, but their latest release (collab with BlackStack) Safety Porpoises was great. If you see any Imperial Golden Nugget, it's worth a try.

But yeah, otherwise a lot of the TG IPAs often just miss the mark for me. There are so many great options out there for IPAs just in Iowa, you can usually find something a little better.

I haven't found much from TP that I like. I don't like hoppy beers so that pretty much rules out most of their stuff for me. With all the hype surrounding TP I often wondering what is wrong with me but their beers just don't work for me.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009

Agree on the Safety Porpoises, that was pretty good and so is Ferrari Backpack. I actually prefer regular old Sue and Pompei to a lot of their more expensive IPA’s.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
People tend to start hating on brewers when they get too big and easily available. TG has been consistently (besides the florida fiasco) been making world class IPA's and stouts for a long time. Think of some of the big beer names that we were begging to come to Iowa and are now shelf terds.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Agree on the Safety Porpoises, that was pretty good and so is Ferrari Backpack. I actually prefer regular old Sue and Pompei to a lot of their more expensive IPA’s.

Oh! Thanks for the rec! I hadn't caught the Ferrari Backpack release, or slipped my mind. Lua is another low-key brewery in DSM that really kills it for IPAs (and everything) so this one should be great.

When I happen to be through DSM I always try to hit Lua plus either Confluence or Barn Town to see what I can take home.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
There's been a persistent rumor that Toppling Goliath is going to open a taproom in the newer downtown development in Cedar Falls west of Main Street. I haven't seen real evidence of it coming to life yet...

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
I found a couple of cans of Ticket #2.
It was excellent, but I'm not sure I want to drop $5 for a silo every time.

That was a wild one. Thought I'd hate a chocolate IPA but it was actually really good. Unfortunately 5 dollars seems to be about the norm anymore. Easy Eddy is my go-to daily drinker. Hard to beat for 10 a 6er.

Reactions: Entropy

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
People tend to start hating on brewers when they get too big and easily available. TG has been consistently (besides the florida fiasco) been making world class IPA's and stouts for a long time. Think of some of the big beer names that we were begging to come to Iowa and are now shelf terds.

Uggh. I had forgotten about Florida Toppling Goliath. Thanks for ruining my weekend :(

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
I found a couple of cans of Ticket #2.
It was excellent, but I'm not sure I want to drop $5 for a silo every time.

I looked at their online ordering site to see what's available, and I'm really hoping my local store can get their hands on this Leisure Suit IPA. It's at the value price of $16 for a 4-pk, although that's direct from them.... ;)

Reactions: Entropy

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
There's been a persistent rumor that Toppling Goliath is going to open a taproom in the newer downtown development in Cedar Falls west of Main Street. I haven't seen real evidence of it coming to life yet...

They were trying to past legislation for multiple tap rooms or something along that line but I thought it was for a place in Des Moines, not sure where that went.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

Big Grove Brewery will be expanding to Des Moines in an undisclosed location, Rachel Furman, a brewery manager at the Iowa City location, confirmed. She said plans are underway to bring Big Grove to central Iowa between March and May 2022.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Big Grove Brewery will be expanding to Des Moines in an undisclosed location, Rachel Furman, a brewery manager at the Iowa City location, confirmed. She said plans are underway to bring Big Grove to central Iowa between March and May 2022.

Rumor going around is the old Crescent building

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron