Iowa Boys HS State Basketball

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So basketball is pretty much the same as football with the big class, eastern Iowa team (i.e. Kennedy or Cedar Falls) glams up its record by playing crap schedule with 1 or 2 real teams, faces CIML team who played against a nuclear minefield all season, gets squashed.

I mean I suppose this happens but who was Kennedy supposed to play all season?

And didn't they beat central Iowa teams at state before losing by 4 in the finals to one?

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I'm going to come in to defend my Kennedy team.

The end of the game was lame, I agree with that. But the refs were treating the teams differently in the second half. Both teams were jawing at each other and the refs but only Kennedy was given techs for it. #4 for Valley was talking shite the whole game, being overly dramatic if anyone for Valley got a foul called on them, and they were delaying Kennedy from quickly inbounding the ball after a basket.

This is the first game I watched for either team this year, but it looked like Kennedy wins with Press Virgina-like defense and great 3-pt shooting. Not enough shots were falling, and Valley's size and speed helped get them out of the double-teams and traps. That Valley post absolutely killed them on defense too. I haven't seen the stats but I would believe if you told me he had 10 blocks.

In a game that was decided by 4 points, I'm guessing that Valley made at least 10 more free throws than Kennedy too. They were so solid from the line.

Edit: I just looked up the box score: I didn't notice during the game, but Valley only played 1 guy off the bench for 9 minutes, and 4 of those minutes were when Stinson had 2 fouls in the 1st half. Those starters are conditioned! 3rd game in 3 days.

Last edited:
  • Dumb
Reactions: Javinegli

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I mean I suppose this happens but who was Kennedy supposed to play all season?

And didn't they beat central Iowa teams at state before losing by 4 in the finals to one?

During the season they’d beaten Waukee and Valley, then took out Ankeny in the semifinals. So it’s not like they hadn’t beaten CIML competition already.

Reactions: madguy30

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
During the season they’d beaten Waukee and Valley, then took out Ankeny in the semifinals. So it’s not like they hadn’t beaten CIML competition already.

And what are they supposed to do, schedule 2 hour road trips on Tuesdays on the regular to appease central Iowa high school basketball fans?

For a long time eastern Iowa was very prominent in big school football and I don't recall those schools' schedules being a problem.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Was Stinson part of the antics? I know he may not be at the top of TJs recruiting board currently but it seems like our staff avoids those potential issues.

bustamoveisu

Sep 8, 2012
Toward the end and after a made basket, Kennedy player chucked the ball at the pad under the basket to draw a delay of game warning and the ref called a T instead. That was BS

The head coach of CRK is the older brother of Brooks McGowan. If you ever saw their dad coach, you would understand. Successful, but just a side show from start to finish.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Toward the end and after a made basket, Kennedy player chucked the ball at the pad under the basket to draw a delay of game warning and the ref called a T instead. That was BS

The head coach of CRK is the older brother of Brooks McGowan. If you ever saw their dad coach, you would understand. Successful, but just a side show from start to finish.
If Kennedy had received a warning for delay of game, then it is a technical if you do it again. It was deliberate because Vallry didn’t even need to inbounds the ball or even make an effort to go get it with under 2 seconds.

To me what the refs should have done, not correct but the best outcome, was to walk over to Kennedy and say you are down 2 possessions with half a second. If we extend the game we have to call a technical and they get the ball so we are just saying game over.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Not sure what Kennedy is losing after this year but Valley brings everyone back next year. Kennedy was pushing the edges all game like they knew this was their last chance. What the poster supporting Kennedy above said is the exact opposite of what was happening all game.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Was Stinson part of the antics? I know he may not be at the top of TJs recruiting board currently but it seems like our staff avoids those potential issues.

He learned from one of the best. I’m sure he was jawing and getting in to it but it didn’t stand out at all and he was definitely targeted by Kennedy players and coaches all game. They tried to rattle him but it didn’t work.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Not sure what Kennedy is losing after this year but Valley brings everyone back next year. Kennedy was pushing the edges all game like they knew this was their last chance. What the poster supporting Kennedy above said is the exact opposite of what was happening all game.
Looks like 4 starters, Courtney, Sclaak, Krumrel, and Green plus one key sub Gerdes.

Help Support Us

Become a patron