Iowa Brewery top 10 2017

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Confluence has some good solid beers and they did a lot of work to increase their distribution. With that said, they haven't came out with a lot of new stuff in 2017 that wowed me.

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
no Confluence? They were far superior to Madhouse and Exile when I was still in Iowa.

It will be interesting to see how the TG brewery & taproom will do and if they will keep the old tap room.

TG is able to keep their current taproom open once they open up the new one. They are actually bottling and canning at the new facility right now. Last I heard, plans are to open up the new taproom by February. I was able to tour the building recently and it is impressive to say the least.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
Tried exile for the first time a couple weeks ago, and I really wasn't impressed. Most of their beers are really watered down. Not a whole lot of body to them.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
"OJ is the OG of Iowa craft IPAs"... uh, no. Great beer but they opened in 2013. How is that OG?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I really hope TG gets it right at the new place before opening another place out west. I think the Florida canning fiasco hurt their rep.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
If you haven't been to Franklin Street in Manchester, you need to give it a try. I have not tasted one of their beers yet that I didn't care for.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
If you haven't been to Franklin Street in Manchester, you need to give it a try. I have not tasted one of their beers yet that I didn't care for.

THIS!!!

I've had Dirty Loral Secret and Drugstore Cowboy. Both were excellent. These guys and Barn Town are my new hits of 2018.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
Does Barn Town bottle or can? I'd throw money at someone if they could ship me some of that Pulp Non-Fiction. I'm basing this on that picture alone.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Confluence doesn't make beers that drive the beer geeks crazy, but they're really damn good.

Pulpit
TG
Alluvial
Singlespeed
Confluence
Big Grove
Lionbridge
Barn Town
Exile

Franklin Street is pushing the conversation. West O makes really competent beer but hasn't done anything new. Madhouse has amazing sours and big stouts, but neglects regular styles. Will be interesting to see how TG's expansion goes. If they close the College Drive location, they will be relying on weekends and beer tourism for taproom sales. Pulpit has surpassed TG for me, and I don't see that changing with the current trajectory. Their beers and focus are more my style, it's run by better people, and the location is a winner. TG makes really damn good beer, and having Iowa brewed Sue cans will be awesome.

Look out for Pivo in Calmar, next year. They opened Thanksgiving week and hit the ground running with some really solid beer right out the gate. Solid facility, and a good model.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I think that Exile is very overrated; their core beers are very ho-hum, like 2/10. But their specialty ones can be pretty good, more of an 8/10.

Confluence is solid all around, but they don't have any sexy beers, just good beer, at good prices, and very well distributed. If you can just go buy it at a store without knowing the secret knock or taking a day off work, it isn't worth drinking ;)

I really like Barn Town, but I've only been once. But I tried probably 3 or 4 beers and they were all really good.

Alluvial is outstanding, in my opinion. I wish they distro'd :(

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron