Iowa Chops get Chizzed by Anaheim

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
First off, the title of this thread is way off because the Chops ownership wasn't making required payments to the Ducks org. Unless your contention is that ISU wasn't somehow holding up its end of the deal with Chizek, I'm afraid this is a gross missuse of this now infamous label. I demand a new thread title!! :wink:

Second, the Chops ended the season with a per game attendance number that put them in the middle of the AHL. YOu can't blame "a lack of hard-core fans" as the reason this occured unless your contention is that 50% of the AHL is not worthy of a team either.

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I plan on attending Chops games regardless of affiliation. I will attend more if they are affiliated with the Minnesota Wild, since that's my team.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
As good as attendance was this year, and it was good, it was still in the lower half of the AHL. Some of the things the parent club folks are saying are concerning, with regards to the $$ owed....I want to hear all of the details first, but its surprising.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Can I at least get some lovin' on calling out for the misuse of "Chizzed" in the thread title?? I personally don't want to see the meaning of the term watered down by misuse.

GriffClones

Dec 15, 2008
Altoona, IA
Florida was interested in the Chops along with Anaheim, hopefully we can latch on with the Panthers. I would definitely get season tickets then. (Big Panthers fan.)

Last edited:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I would be really surprised if anybody could put a moneymaking AHL team in Des Moines. It doesn't seem possible at this point.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
We went to 5 Chops game, including the last one, and that was easily the worst game of them all. No fighting and no sense of urgency since they had been eliminated from the playoffs by that time.

Yeah - I didn't want to bag on the team. But the Bucs could've beaten the Chops. Passing was horrendous, not good puck skills, lack of energy out there. But the environment was pretty entertaining. Alot of promos and stuff happening during breaks and such.

The Chops have to make payments to the Ducks? That seems a little backwards. Is that common with other sports like the I-Cubs to Chicago? It would seem the minor league team incurs alot of costs with the movement of players (call-ups, rehabs) to the pros. I would think the parent club would be footing the bill of the minor league club.

I think the only way this is really going to take off in DSM is if they get an affiliation with a local team (Wild, Blackhawks, Blues). I have season tickets for the ICubs - probably would anyway but a reason that I AM interested is because I'm a Chi Cubs fan. If there was an association with the Anaheim Angels, or Tampy Rays - I probably would be less inclined to go. And I think it goes without saying that the crowds wouldn't be near what they are when a Lee, Wood or Prior comes to town for a rehab stint.

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I think the only way this is really going to take off in DSM is if they get an affiliation with a local team (Wild, Blackhawks, Blues).

It wouldn't matter much to me - I enjoyed going a couple of games this year.
What's got me worried is whether another NHL team will touch the current Chops management, considering the money they owe to the Ducks. Also, it sounds like Anaheim did not want to leave, but had no choice.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Yeah - I didn't want to bag on the team. But the Bucs could've beaten the Chops. Passing was horrendous, not good puck skills, lack of energy out there. But the environment was pretty entertaining. Alot of promos and stuff happening during breaks and such.

HAHAHAHAHA. No.

The Chops have to make payments to the Ducks? That seems a little backwards. Is that common with other sports like the I-Cubs to Chicago? It would seem the minor league team incurs alot of costs with the movement of players (call-ups, rehabs) to the pros. I would think the parent club would be footing the bill of the minor league club.

When someone is playing for the Chops they are responsible for the costs of having them on the roster. Essentially I believe Anaheim pays all costs up front and they are reimbursed for those costs throughout the season. It makes sense as Anaheim should not be on the hook for players in the minors and these teams are designed to be self supporting and their own entities.

I think the only way this is really going to take off in DSM is if they get an affiliation with a local team (Wild, Blackhawks, Blues). I have season tickets for the ICubs - probably would anyway but a reason that I AM interested is because I'm a Chi Cubs fan. If there was an association with the Anaheim Angels, or Tampy Rays - I probably would be less inclined to go. And I think it goes without saying that the crowds wouldn't be near what they are when a Lee, Wood or Prior comes to town for a rehab stint.

This is pretty much true. A local ownership group that knows what they are doing would help too.

j4state

May 21, 2006
Visit site

Hope that's an exaggeration. After losing Ryan it wasn't the greatest at The Well but even relative to their leagues the Bucs were worse this year.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Hope that's an exaggeration. After losing Ryan it wasn't the greatest at The Well but even relative to their leagues the Bucs were worse this year.

Yeah... Saying that a poor USHL team could beat a below average AHL team is like saying that the ISU club baseball team would beat the I-Cubs. Completely ridiculous. Also, I don't think I went to a single Bucs game where they allowed less than 4 goals. The goal tending (and general defensive play) was pretty brutal...

TheGovernator

Nov 5, 2008
Yeah... Saying that a poor USHL team could beat a below average AHL team is like saying that the ISU club baseball team would beat the I-Cubs. Completely ridiculous. Also, I don't think I went to a single Bucs game where they allowed less than 4 goals. The goal tending (and general defensive play) was pretty brutal...

I agree, it's pretty wild to say that a bunch of kids just out of high school (Bucs) could beat an AHL team. However, if I had to compare my experiences, the Bucs atmosphere just blew away the Stars' (didn't make it to a Chops game) atmosphere. It's obviously a considerably smaller arena, but a smaller arena with almost all the seats full is a more electric atmosphere than a large arena 1/2 full.

I also agree with the poster earlier who said minor league hockey will have a tough time in Des Moines until there's some consistency, which is why I believe the Bucs flourish. Oh, and a guy named Kyle Okposo leading them to a Clark Cup Championship didn't hurt!:yes: