Iowa City Pedestrian hit by car

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
In a situation like this, the insurance company is acting as his legal counsel and I'm guessing that this was procedural in starting the case in the civil suit that is surely coming
The insurance company is undoubtedly not his counsel in this criminal proceeding.

• Agree
Reactions: jmb and EnkAMania

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The insurance company is undoubtedly not his counsel in this criminal proceeding.
You're correct. Phrased poorly.

The insurance company is already building the case for the coming civil suit and this is part of that case more than the criminal case. I'm sure the McCaffrey's carry a hefty umbrella.

Reactions: CloneJD

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Found guilty of fatality killing someone but no jail time? How?!

Found guilty of a traffic violation that led to a death. Pretty rare to spend jail time for a traffic death unless there were extenuating circumstances, such as driving impaired. That was not accused in this case

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Found guilty of a traffic violation that led to a death. Pretty rare to spend jail time for a traffic death unless there were extenuating circumstances, such as driving impaired. That was not accused in this case
I wish everyone got the same justice.

Last edited:

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
In a situation like this, the insurance company is acting as his legal counsel and I'm guessing that this was procedural in starting the case in the civil suit that is surely coming.

This is just such a sad, sad deal all around. Feel horrible for the family that lost a loved one and feel awful for a young kid that is going to have to live with this forever.
The insurance company did not represent him in this case. They will in pi case.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Tell that to others whom have had similar situations and spent years in jail.

I said pretty rare, not ever. Again, if it’s a matter of driving recklessly or impaired I think that’s very different than failing to yield at a crosswalk. It was a driving mistake by a young driver. Let’s not make this out to be more than what it is.

Reactions: Tailg8er

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

And if you're a Branstad that doesn't matter

• Winner
Reactions: cyguy9320