Iowa City Pedestrian hit by car

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Bingo. Plead not guilty. Settle criminal charges before trial. Settle civil litigation that's certainly incoming. Move on.

Ahh... got it... thanks!

This seems pretty clear cut though... he hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk and it killed him. How can you say... nah, I didn't do that... wasn't me!

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Ahh... got it... thanks!

This seems pretty clear cut though... he hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk and it killed him. How can you say... nah, I didn't do that... wasn't me!
You take a clear cut thought and break it down to many thoughts, and some aren’t so clear. You remove 100% guilty and show 75% guilty. You must fight.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
People plead guilty all the time and get lesser sentences.
They plead to the lesser sentences.

Edit: Lesser charges …. And hopefully a lesser sentence/fine.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
No, that never happens in an initial plea.
Yeah, I don’t think I’ve ever seen an initial guilty plea for what would be a settlement. The settlement announcement comes after initial plea but before trial.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
There’s not much to plead down from a simple misdemeanor. I suppose maybe some kind of deferred judgment but the consequences are so minimal anyway and don’t think that helps much for civil litigation.

• Agree
Reactions: EnkAMania

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It seemed pretty straightforward so not sure why the trial unless they thought it would somehow help with insurance settlement. Just weird.
Every accident, requires a court appearance, at least by an attorney if not the defendant. I unfortunately can attest to this twice, although fortunately no one was hurt.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Maybe he pleaded not guilty. I know I had to submit a plea (said guilty both times) so maybe he said not guilty and that caused the trial. I'm guessing that is it.
I believe he waived his initial appearance and entered a not guilty plea.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Assuming the not guilty plea was some sort of posturing in preparation for a potential civil suit?

Regardless, it's a sad deal all around. Sounds like it was a horrible accident and I can't imagine what the kid is going through.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
It seemed pretty straightforward so not sure why the trial unless they thought it would somehow help with insurance settlement. Just weird.
In a situation like this, the insurance company is acting as his legal counsel and I'm guessing that this was procedural in starting the case in the civil suit that is surely coming.

This is just such a sad, sad deal all around. Feel horrible for the family that lost a loved one and feel awful for a young kid that is going to have to live with this forever.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron