Iowa City Pedestrian hit by car

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm not trying to make Jack a victim, I'm just trying to be human here....he's gonna need some counseling.

I think we all knew it was him once he announced he won't be going to Iowa. It would be tough to see that intersection every day.

It's the stuff of nightmares for someone to have just like a 1/2 second of timd lead to this kind of thing.

Cyclones8824

Cyclones nation. Let’s ride
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 16, 2022
Ankeny
Super weak punishment, I’m about the same age as Jack so I get what it’s like to be a new driver, but he think he should face a more severe punishment

Stumper

Jun 19, 2020
Question for parents of kids that drive. Did you extra extra liability insurance for your family to safegaurd from events like this?
No. I don't want to sound cold blooded but the more liability coverage you have, the more they will sue for. How do you put a value on a life? Fortunately, my family has not been involved in this type of situation and hopefully, never will be.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
So if I read the article correctly, Jack was just issued the citation very recently, like last couple days? If true, why did it take so long for him to be cited?
Because you need to do an investigation and unfortunately probably only have half of the story at best?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Super weak punishment, I’m about the same age as Jack so I get what it’s like to be a new driver, but he think he should face a more severe punishment
Well, that's Iowa law.

It's almost completely ok from a criminal law perspective to kill someone with a car, as long as you're sober. If you're drunk when you do it, you'll go to prison (as you should).

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
pretty weak accountability from the criminal side. On the civil side this should award the victims family a sizable amount, I'd say easy 7 figures, to help with their process. Hopefully good comes from the civil award.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
So if I read the article correctly, Jack was just issued the citation very recently, like last couple days? If true, why did it take so long for him to be cited?

Sometimes these investigations take time. This seems to have taken a lot longer than I would expect, but maybe there were factors I'm not aware of.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Because you need to do an investigation and unfortunately probably only have half of the story at best?
The investigation in these cases generally goes quickly. Since the accident was in the late afternoon, there likely were other witnesses to the accident. While on the scene, they would be able to determine where the pedestrian was hit and approximate the speed of the car at impact.

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
I get it... but it's weak.
idk. If you're following the rules of the road and aren't being negligent and someone walks out in front of you and you kill them, how much criminal punishment are you really deserving of? It's very unfortunate but assuming you're sober, not driving distracted, following rules of the road is jail time really a fitting criminal punishment?

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
No. I don't want to sound cold blooded but the more liability coverage you have, the more they will sue for. How do you put a value on a life? Fortunately, my family has not been involved in this type of situation and hopefully, never will be.

Yes and no. Insurance companies (and lawyers) will absolutely put a value on a life based on age and expected earnings. You don’t want to be over-insured, but you also want to have enough to shield your other assets. Consult a trusted professional (with E&O).

• Winner
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
idk. If you're following the rules of the road and aren't being negligent and someone walks out in front of you and you kill them, how much criminal punishment are you really deserving of? It's very unfortunate but assuming you're sober, not driving distracted, following rules of the road is jail time really a fitting criminal punishment?
is that what happened?

Reactions: CY88CE11

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Sometimes these investigations take time. This seems to have taken a lot longer than I would expect, but maybe there were factors I'm not aware of.
I know they were waiting for cell phone records

Reactions: MJ29

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Actuarily? They pay out once and move on.

This is going to sound awful but the insurance company would rather someone be deceased vs severely injured. One time payout and move on vs paying for care for the rest of the person's life.

The liability coverage is protecting your personal assets so no way would I want to be under insured just to get sued for less. There is already a history of payouts that are going to be used as a baseline for settlement. Last thing I want is the insurance company to be maxed out so next they come after me personally.