Iowa Dual Predictions

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I'd like to think I can give some insight here since I'm surrounded by Iowa fans and I feel like I can apply by Iowa BS-O-Meter to come up with a reasonable expectation of their wrestlers.

125: Clark major Hall (0-4)
133: Ramos fall over whomever we put out (0-10)
141: Dziewa major Moreno (0-14)
149: Kelly dec Goettl (0-17)
157: St. John major Nicholson (0-21)
165: Moreno dec Moore (3-21)
174: Evans dec. Weatherman/Spoon (3-24)
184: Lofthouse dec Weatherman/Spoon/Beard (3-27)
197: Gadsen maj Klapprodt (7-27--only a win by decision of Burak goes and I don't think he will)
HWT: Jean-Jacques dec. whomever (7-31--Telford is out for a couple of weeks or this would be a pin)

I actually thought this would be closer before I started typing but we do not match up real well. We might be able to hold Clark, Ramos and Dziewa to a decision. We have a shot at 149 and maybe 174 though admittedly Iowa has a chance at 165--pretty small though as Moore has missed time and I just think Moreno has passed him. Factoring all that in, I see the final score around 26-10.

Thoughts?

ccubsfans

Dec 4, 2009
I'd like to think I can give some insight here since I'm surrounded by Iowa fans and I feel like I can apply by Iowa BS-O-Meter to come up with a reasonable expectation of their wrestlers.

197: Gadsen maj Klapprodt (7-27--only a win by decision of Burak goes and I don't think he will)
HWT: Jean-Jacques dec. whomever (7-31--Telford is out for a couple of weeks or this would be a pin)

I actually thought this would be closer before I started typing but we do not match up real well. We might be able to hold Clark, Ramos and Dziewa to a decision. We have a shot at 149 and maybe 174 though admittedly Iowa has a chance at 165--pretty small though as Moore has missed time and I just think Moreno has passed him. Factoring all that in, I see the final score around 26-10.

Thoughts?

This is probably close. I don't think Gabe will get majored. With the way Goettl has been wrestling i think it is more likely that he would get majored. Before the season started I thought that 141 and 149 were to weights that would be toss ups with Iowa, however now i would call them minor upsets if we were to win. I don't see us getting to 10 points.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
I'd like to think I can give some insight here since I am an Iowa fan and I come on here to pretend to be a Cyclone fan in order to rip on all of the coaches, and JP feel like I can apply by Iowa BS-O-Meter to come up with a reasonable expectation of their wrestlers.

Thoughts?

FIFY

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I thought Burak had a skin thing going on that kept him out of the Iowa Duals. Whether it was ringworm or cold sores it would be cleared up by this Sunday. I'd expect him to go.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I thought Burak had a skin thing going on that kept him out of the Iowa Duals. Whether it was ringworm or cold sores it would be cleared up by this Sunday. I'd expect him to go.

I don't know his issue but he hasn't wrestled at all this year. My roomie usually knows what's going on but didn't think he would be wrestling and that's all I have to base it on. Still a win for Gadsen.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Not that it will make a difference in the end.. and pretty much everything you have is good by my view but I don't think we get majored at 141, and DSJ gets a fall over us at 157. Also calling darkhorse on this one, but we pick up a major at 165 with Moreno.. idk why but I just think he turns it on for this dual and Moore for some reason seems like he could get behind to Moreno early and fold who knows might be way out there in right field but I just could see it happening.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
On the win/loss you're correct. I am optimistic that IA will get fewer bonus points than you envision. To me, Ramos is the only one certain to get more than a decision. I think our only chance for bonus is Gadsen ... and its certainly less likely than Ramos.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
On the win/loss you're correct. I am optimistic that IA will get fewer bonus points than you envision. To me, Ramos is the only one certain to get more than a decision. I think our only chance for bonus is Gadsen ... and its certainly less likely than Ramos.
The more I've looked at it the more I see you probably being correct. Ramos is just a monster literally those eyes scare me, but I'm just concerned with DSJ because I thought i read on one of the iowa forums that Ramos, DSJ and Evans were having a pin competition, not they that they needed fired up anymore for the dual but knowing they are out head hunting is what is making me believe DSJ pulls out a fall. It would be nice to see Gadsen get a major for us and idk I still think Moreno pulls off something special. What I am really hoping to see in this dual is NO LETTING DOWN, no stopping even if one of our guys gets down by a few, just non stop action.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I am told Bauer will be at 133 for Iowa dual. Boaz is suppose to be back. Not sure if I would wrestle him against Iowa. I expect/hope that Moreno and Gadsen win, but hope we close the gap on the scores from last year and are more competitive at most weights.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I am told Bauer will be at 133 for Iowa dual. Boaz is suppose to be back. Not sure if I would wrestle him against Iowa. I expect/hope that Moreno and Gadsen win, but hope we close the gap on the scores from last year and are more competitive at most weights.

That's the big thing I'll be looking for (outside of 165-197). Keeping in the match and not allowing the Iowa wrestler to act like they are in Carver.

I'd love to see an upset from Hall or Goettl though. I'd even rather see them get the upset than Weatherman or Beard. They need it a lot more than those guys do.

Last edited:

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
This what I want. Big wins are probably not in the cards, but I want it to feel like our guys gave IA all they could handle (or failing that, all they had to give). I think we have a line up that if hitting on all cylinders will give a much better fight than will be indicated by the final tally.

What I am really hoping to see in this dual is NO LETTING DOWN, no stopping even if one of our guys gets down by a few, just non stop action.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
This what I want. Big wins are probably not in the cards, but I want it to feel like our guys gave IA all they could handle (or failing that, all they had to give). I think we have a line up that if hitting on all cylinders will give a much better fight than will be indicated by the final tally.
Excellent points. When I am there, which by the way how can you not be excited for this dual even when we are going through some growing pains, i'll be looking at those things for sure. I would just love to see the guys going full throttle, going for points and big moves even if they get caught if that makes any sense. Being the ones that attack attack and ATTACK some more, go after them like there is nothing to lose (which there isnt anything to lose) and everything to gain, show them the "IOWA STYLE" only coming from the other side. I can handle getting beat, but I can not handle getting BEAT with no effort given out or steps in the right direction.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
That's the big thing I'll be looking for (outside of 165-197). Keeping in the match and not allowing the Iowa wrestler to act like they are in Carver.

I'd love to see an upset from Hall or Goettl though. I'd even rather see them get the upset than Weatherman or Beard. They need it a lot more than those guys do.
JUdoka nice point. I do think Weatherman could also use a big win in a big time event to make sure he doesn't take a step backwards.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I started looking at the matchups today for my preview and I'm thinking 6-32 sounds about right.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
JUdoka nice point. I do think Weatherman could also use a big win in a big time event to make sure he doesn't take a step backwards.

Yeah - I'd love to see Weatherman or Beard score upsets, and as far as team finish at nationals that actually has bigger implications. But I feel like Hall and Goettl are both guys that could really springboard off of wins to have successful seasons. Goettl's win wouldn't even really be an upset vs what my preseason expectations of him were. Hall knocking off Clark would turn that into a great rivalry for the next four years.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Another thing I noticed this morning - So far this season Iowa has zero matches against D-1 opponents that weren't against another Iowa wrestler. Makes it tough to project how good/bad their newer guys are other than Clark.