Iowa Fan Here: Right now I have ISU in Championship Game

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
In filling out my bracket, I advanced ISU all the way to the championship against Kentucky. I don't think they can beat Kentucky, but if one team can, I feel that it is ISU with your guard play and can get super hot from threes from multiple shooters plus Niang can pull the bigs out from the basket. I don't want to pick Kentucky like everybody else, but I also can't root for ISU to win it all no matter how much money I would win.

This sucks! Guess I will have y'all losing to Duke in the elite 8 then and then picking Duke to beat Kentucky.

CSB I know, but just saying that even as an Iowa fan I think you guys have a good chance to get to the final four. Good luck.

501Clone

Mar 10, 2010
Ames, IA
People should't sleep on Notre Dame being able to beat Kentucky. They don't have the size but they do have the guards that can keep em in it and potentially steal it from them..

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
Thanks for the positive vibes Iowa fan. I agree with other posters that Whisky has the best chance to beat UK, but I'll have a tough time pulling for a big ten team to win it all.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I think ND has the best shot at KY. It's going to take great 3 point shooting guards to beat them.

And for the OP, I have my bracket filled out too, and I'm going with Davidson in the first round.

Last edited:

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I think ND has the best shot at KY. It's going to take great 3 point shooting gurds to beat them.

And for the OP, I have my bracket filled out too, and I'm going with Davidson in the first round.

I'm actally split on that one, but either way I have you guys playing Gonzaga. Just glad to be back in the dance and would like to win one game. It has been a while. I was a fan in the 80s and 90s and a NCAA tourney bid and at least one win seemed like it happened every year. Now it never does.

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
I'd say Wiscy, AZ, ND could all have the ability to stop Kentucky from the champ game. Just need a team with good guard play, and a skilled(note, not necessarily just big, cause Kentucky will ALWAYS out size you) frontcourt.

Kentucky is for sure the best team, but a bit overvalued right now, and the best team doesn't always win the tourney. 40%+ odds against the field to win 6 best of 1 games against a bunch of really good teams? That's insane. Their non-con schedule was good, but some of their early marquee match ups ended up being disappointments in the end (UCLA, Texas), and other teams they beat have gotten much better during the conference season (KU, UNC). If they played in a tougher conference they most certainly would have won it, and probably been the consensus #1 seed, but I doubt they would have gone undefeated if they had to go on the road to ISU, KU, OU, Duke, UNC, ND, Wisc, etc.

Best of one, anything can happen, madness!

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
Watching the Notre Dame UNC game the other day got me on board with Notre Dame. I think UK will beat them but Notre Dame has the best shot if anyone. If ISU could actually play well in the first half we would have a shot but they haven't proven that of late.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Teams that I would like to see play UK:

1. Clones (only if we can get 13+ 3's)
2. Baylor - they play that weird zone and can shoot it
3. Duke - they can shoot it and have Okafur (allow i don't think he can do much against their front line)
4. AZ - I haven't seen them play a lot, but I think they have a team that could hang

Zags, Wisky, Nova, and the others would all get smoked. Not saying my top 4 couldn't, but I think those could give UK some problems on the right night.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Watching the Notre Dame UNC game the other day got me on board with Notre Dame. I think UK will beat them but Notre Dame has the best shot if anyone. If ISU could actually play well in the first half we would have a shot but they haven't proven that of late.

Guys, I figured out our first half woes, so we will be good to go. My ISU clock in my work office was still an hour behind after daylight's saving. That's obviously why the team was about an hour late to show up to each game after we sprung forward.

Don't worry, it's fixed for the Big Dance. :smile:

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I think that if Iowa State meets UK in the championship game, next year's SEC-BigXII challenge would feature UK coming to Ames or ISU at Rupp Arena. That would be epic!

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Guys, I figured out our first half woes, so we will be good to go. My ISU clock in my work office was still an hour behind after daylight's saving. That's obviously why the team was about an hour late to show up to each game after we sprung forward.

Don't worry, it's fixed for the Big Dance. :smile:

If they do fall behind maybe you can just turn it back an hour and have the teams replay the first half.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'd say Wiscy, AZ, ND could all have the ability to stop Kentucky from the champ game. Just need a team with good guard play, and a skilled(note, not necessarily just big, cause Kentucky will ALWAYS out size you) frontcourt.

Kentucky is for sure the best team, but a bit overvalued right now, and the best team doesn't always win the tourney. 40%+ odds against the field to win 6 best of 1 games against a bunch of really good teams? That's insane. Their non-con schedule was good, but some of their early marquee match ups ended up being disappointments in the end (UCLA, Texas), and other teams they beat have gotten much better during the conference season (KU, UNC). If they played in a tougher conference they most certainly would have won it, and probably been the consensus #1 seed, but I doubt they would have gone undefeated if they had to go on the road to ISU, KU, OU, Duke, UNC, ND, Wisc, etc.

Best of one, anything can happen, madness!

I agree on Kentucky. They are awesome, but I think they have 1-3 losses in a better conference.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Is the OP for real? Or trying to trick us into saying our team will do this, this, or that? Then go back to his own kind and start the chatter/laughter. Just curious.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I took ND to beat them as well in one bracket, UK in the other one i filled out.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Is the OP for real? Or trying to trick us into saying our team will do this, this, or that? Then go back to his own kind and start the chatter/laughter. Just curious.

Yes, I'm for real. I want to win my bracket since first place is usually over $1,500 and I think my best chance to do so is to pick somebody else other than Kentucky to win it all since it would be a little different from the rest. If it hits, I probably win outright, if I pick Kentucky and they win it all then I'm just like everybody else. I think ISU has as good a chance as anybody to do it and it pains me to say that. However, I could never root for ISU to win it all and thus can't pick them.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Fwiw IF Iowa can get by a good Davidson team, I think they actually matchup quite well with the Zags. Gonzaga is basically a better version of Iowa. The player comparisons are pretty easy:

Pangos- gesell
Wiltjer-uthoff
Big polish guy- Woodbury

One advantage Iowa has is I'm not sure Gonzaga has a big that can keep up with White; Sabonis is more of a traditional post.