Iowa Football Recruiting

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
They are either 3 or 4 over. I’m certain there are several teams at that level or more over. I’m hearing the most likely scenario is what you alluded to, COVID super seniors getting NIL money to make up the difference on a scholarship loss. It’s a weird thing to be hung up on though with where we’re at in college sports today.
So if using NIL funds to give in place of scholarships is legal, then why aren't the wealthy programs like Alabama, UT and others using this as a way to get over the 85 player limit. We give 85 scholarships and then have another 20 players suited up using NIL funds.

The limit is in place to try to create the idea that schools can have only some many players, and not go back to a time when schools had unlimited scholarships and would give them out to ensure a player was on their team, buried on the depth chart instead of playing against them. We have all been told that EIU does not "crean" players like other schools do, so how are they going to get down to 85 players on scholarship?

• Haha
Reactions: Frak and 7Got6

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
So if using NIL funds to give in place of scholarships is legal, then why aren't the wealthy programs like Alabama, UT and others using this as a way to get over the 85 player limit. We give 85 scholarships and then have another 20 players suited up using NIL funds.

The limit is in place to try to create the idea that schools can have only some many players, and not go back to a time when schools had unlimited scholarships and would give them out to ensure a player was on their team, buried on the depth chart instead of playing against them. We have all been told that EIU does not "crean" players like other schools do, so how are they going to get down to 85 players on scholarship?
Players still want to play.

Reactions: 7Got6

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021

They are doing it, not by 20 but they are getting preferred walk ons that have scholarship offers at other places. And they’re absolutely getting NIL money. You’re completely naive if you think Iowa is the only school working the system.

• Agree
Reactions: twojman

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
They are doing it, not by 20 but they are getting preferred walk ons that have scholarship offers at other places. And they’re absolutely getting NIL money. You’re completely naive if you think Iowa is the only school working the system.
How many players is EIU getting that were offered a scholarship at a P4 school and are turning that down to walk on at Iowa? Right now, they are 3/4 over the number of 85, how are they going to get down to the required limit?
Some are floating the idea that they are going to use NIL funds instead of scholarship dollars to keep them there, and I am not sure that is legal, because if it is, then why are other schools not doing it?

The are going to have to pull scholarships, its that simple, its legal after 4 years, but EIU fans just do not want to admit that is what they are going to do, because as usual they think they are above doing it.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
How many players is EIU getting that were offered a scholarship at a P4 school and are turning that down to walk on at Iowa? Right now, they are 3/4 over the number of 85, how are they going to get down to the required limit?
Some are floating the idea that they are going to use NIL funds instead of scholarship dollars to keep them there, and I am not sure that is legal, because if it is, then why are other schools not doing it?

The are going to have to pull scholarships, its that simple, its legal after 4 years, but EIU fans just do not want to admit that is what they are going to do, because as usual they think they are above doing it.
The scholarship limit getting busted (and I think they talked about this on the last W&B pod) would really be a killer for the "average" schools.

Remember what Nebby did back in the 80s? They just stockpiled kids to keep them off of ISU, KSU, KU, et al roster. So instead of getting the 2nd or 3rd best kid, you got the 4th or 5th, going up against their 1st and 2nd best.

That's one of the nightmare scenarios that would turn all but the top 20ish money/brand programs into FCS level talent programs. And it would be probably worse for the 2nd tier teams in the P2. Imagine being Iowa or Illinois, and playing OSU, Mich, and Oregon who have 120 guys in their program.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012

And if they get pulled, NIL will make up the difference.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009

Why would that be illegal do you have to be at a certain level to be considered a walk on? Walk ons can still get NIL funds. When you're a walk on you do lose certain privileges but NIL is like free market. I do think this is happening at other schools. Deuce Hogan was a scholarship quarterback at Iowa who went to Kentucky as a walk on. I imagine there was some sort of agreement made there in terms of NIL

• Dumb
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Why would that be illegal do you have to be at a certain level to be considered a walk on? Walk ons can still get NIL funds. When you're a walk on you do lose certain privileges but NIL is like free market. I do think this is happening at other schools. Deuce Hogan was a scholarship quarterback at Iowa who went to Kentucky as a walk on. I imagine there was some sort of agreement made there in terms of NIL
Hogan was a walk on for a semester, and then was on scholarship in the fall at Kentucky. I would say that they did not have a scholarship for him for his first semester in the spring, but once the next cycle started he got his. So he only paid for the spring semester at Kentucky. You want players that are currently on scholarship at EIU to give that up, and take NIL funds and still play for EIU, what Hogan did and what you are talking about are two totally different things here.

Are those scholarship players currently getting NIL funds plus their scholarship, I would guess so. So, I am getting a scholarship plus 50K, now you want me to give up my scholarship and use that 50K for schooling? Maybe they are going to use NIL funds to make up the difference, but EIU is not flush with NIL money and I would bet a lot went to the new QB from NW and the QB that you already had from Michigan. So just where is all this money while legal coming from? It's a pipe dream, I would bet that the staff has already met with 5 or 6 players and told them that they will not be getting playing time in the fall, hoping that they would leave, and some did, but others are still there.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Hogan was a walk on for a semester, and then was on scholarship in the fall at Kentucky. I would say that they did not have a scholarship for him for his first semester in the spring, but once the next cycle started he got his. So he only paid for the spring semester at Kentucky. You want players that are currently on scholarship at EIU to give that up, and take NIL funds and still play for EIU, what Hogan did and what you are talking about are two totally different things here.

Are those scholarship players currently getting NIL funds plus their scholarship, I would guess so. So, I am getting a scholarship plus 50K, now you want me to give up my scholarship and use that 50K for schooling? Maybe they are going to use NIL funds to make up the difference, but EIU is not flush with NIL money and I would bet a lot went to the new QB from NW and the QB that you already had from Michigan. So just where is all this money while legal coming from? It's a pipe dream, I would bet that the staff has already met with 5 or 6 players and told them that they will not be getting playing time in the fall, hoping that they would leave, and some did, but others are still there.
Just because Iowa doesn’t have much NIL to offer for men’s bball, doesn’t mean they don’t have much to offer for football. The bigger donors choose where there money can be used.

I’m guessing a few players will end up moving on and a player or two will get their scholarship pulled and given NIL to cover the difference. If you don’t think that schools with deeper pockets aren’t doing this, you are fooling yourself.

• Dumb
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Just because Iowa doesn’t have much NIL to offer for men’s bball, doesn’t mean they don’t have much to offer for football. The bigger donors choose where there money can be used.

I’m guessing a few players will end up moving on and a player or two will get their scholarship pulled and given NIL to cover the difference. If you don’t think that schools with deeper pockets aren’t doing this, you are fooling yourself.
But when Iowa offers a scholly they mean it and stand by it………….

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009

I don't think you can say it's totally different when Iowa situation hasn't had same timeline as Kentucky. That could be exact same thing that happens with the Iowa players come fall.

I don't think anyone will lose anything. I think if anything it would be a tradeoff. We can't give you a scholarship so here's the value of that in compensation for example. I don't think telling some players they likely won't see the field is a bad thing either. That's just being honest. If they're in fact pulling scholarships away from players and giving nothing in return I do see a problem with that

Reactions: 7Got6

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Iowa has beaten ISU 7 out of 8, 8 out of ten, 11 out of 15 and 14 out of the last 20. Iowa has probably beaten those legacy teams you speak about at either the same or even worse clip than that.
No doubt about it. Kirk has had Iowa States number since CMC has taken over but Iowa State (53-48 in that time) has consistently been the 2nd or 3rd toughest game on Iowa’s schedule every year. So for context a team that’s barely over .500 has been one of your toughest games of the season for almost a decade.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

Can you post one example of other schools doing it?

So, you are saying that Tennessee could tell the kid they signed for 2 million a year to play QB that he does not get a scholarship, and he can use the NIL money to pay for school and that ride goes to another player that needs it? Once we start down that path having an 85 scholarship limits are worthless, before long we will be back to when schools had 140/150 players all getting some type of revenue to go play football at that school.

Scholarships are going to have to be pulled, and only EIU fans are foolish enough to just not to admit it's going to happen.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023

So, you are saying that Tennessee could tell the kid they signed for 2 million a year to play QB that he does not get a scholarship, and he can use the NIL money to pay for school and that ride goes to another player that needs it? Once we start down that path having an 85 scholarship limits are worthless, before long we will be back to when schools had 140/150 players all getting some type of revenue to go play football at that school.

Scholarships are going to have to be pulled, and only EIU fans are foolish enough to just not to admit it's going to happen.
Not to defend a Hawk but Florida is doing this right now with Cormani McClain transfer from Colorado. He will be a “walk-on” this season. Was one of the top recruits in 2022.

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021

Doubt this will get you off your high horse but here you go.