Iowa High School BEDS count 24-25

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Meanwhile Alleman is complaining that it doesn't have the tax base or infrastructure necessary to support it.

Alleman and its ~400 people should probably just get absorbed into Ankeny, but I doubt it ever happens.

Ankeny's most recent annexation already takes it up north of Alleman's southern border.

YKJSg5d.jpeg

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Great for the reputation of the school to compete for state titles, but that also makes it hard for more kids to participate in sports. It’s to the point that if you haven’t dedicated your entire youth to a single sport, you’re not going to make the high school team. How many kids never get the opportunity to participate in high school athletics because of the desire to have bigger and bigger schools to chase state titles?

Well. I guess they want to play sports and can't make the team at Valley they can open enroll to Martensdale St Mary's.

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
Alleman and its ~400 people should probably just get absorbed into Ankeny, but I doubt it ever happens.

Ankeny's most recent annexation already takes it up north of Alleman's southern border.

YKJSg5d.jpeg
That whole green/blue area appears to be bigger than Polk City too (in terms of sq miles). I'm not sure how it's all zoned, but having the high school in Alleman will make more sense as that fills up.

tigercy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 17, 2020
Great for the reputation of the school to compete for state titles, but that also makes it hard for more kids to participate in sports. It’s to the point that if you haven’t dedicated your entire youth to a single sport, you’re not going to make the high school team. How many kids never get the opportunity to participate in high school athletics because of the desire to have bigger and bigger schools to chase state titles?
Valley is essentially the same size as it was when the vote for 2 high schools happened. Based on the school district lines (Waukee schools beginning at 60th st) it was obvious that the WDM school district was not going to grow meaningfully and therefore a new high school was not needed. A large portion of Waukee SD is in fact in WDM, so you could argue that WDM does have 2 public schools (at least partially) now. For everyone who might vote to keep one school for athletic reasons, there would be multiples of that who would vote for two schools for athletic reasons. It was much more of a "tax" vote than it was an "athletics" vote IMO>

Reactions: h-man64

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I don't disagree with the logic, but you seem to think this happens in a politics-free vacuum where we all reach the most logically sound conclusion and then execute on it. I think you and I both know better than that.

Why school district boundaries are apparently set in stone and can never be changed, I have no idea, but they are. And even if they could change, if you're North Polk right now in this new environment where you're now competing for students, why would you give up that growth and the dollars that come with it?
I'd think they could in theory swap growth in Polk City (currently going to Ankeny) for growth in Ankeny (currently going to NP). It's a place for the state to raise this and see if the two districts could come to an agreement that would secure similar growth for both districts (if in fact Ankeny CSD even wants to capture this growth) while reducing travel distance for a majority of the students.

Allemen is more towards the center of the district, and therefore when the district was formed it seemed like the correct place distance wise for everyone. No one thought that the population of Polk City would explode like it has and become the much larger town in the district.

Its hard to close a district or have one of the towns that has a school lose it to another town. In some of these towns the school is the major jobs provider, Gilbert is the same way, all the growth in the district is to the South and West of the town, but at least they are all located in Gilber.
They just built a new school a few years ago, when Polk City had already grown and become the overwhelming source of students. That's a perfect time to revisit this. And yes, they took the typical dumb Iowa school view and decided rather than build the new school where a vast majority of the students are, let's drop in the middle of a glorified windbreak with no businesses, barely any kids so EVERY kid has to get bussed or drive to the school. That way the 5 kids from Elkhart only have to travel 8 miles instead of 16 or whatever it is.

My hometown they hung on to the school and operated the middle school for years when like 95% of the students were getting bussed from the other town. Eventually the school leadership put an end to that nonsense and shut down the school. It was basically mostly old people in the town clinging to the school at the expense of the students.

But it doesn't matter now, the school is built at NP. But things like this drive me crazy.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
When they were building a new HS a few years ago it was a perfect time to use some brains, get both Ankeny and NP involved, as well as the state and figure something out.

Almost any decision would've been better than putting it in Alleman because it's a town, sort of. I think there's a co-op there, and I suspect a handful of HS kids. Put it in Polk City, or if they think the Northern Ankeny growth is going to be where most of the kids come from eventually, put it on the southern edge of the district and let Ankeny grow around it.

But putting a school so 99% of the kids have to drive several miles instead of putting it in a town where a majority of the kids live is just dumb.
They seemed to be All In on going the South East Polk Approach. High School in the middle of nowhere approach. The High school would have been much better in Polk City IMO, but I am sure there was other facility items to consider like all the fields and stuff.

as a Bondurant resident, I was hoping NP would give us Elkhart. So we could have BFE logo's....

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010

YKJSg5d.jpeg
All of the blue in your picture is also already north Polk schools and started being built in roughly a decade ago

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Why school district boundaries are apparently set in stone and can never be changed, I have no idea, but they are.

Because no school board/district is going to willingly give up part of its tax base area. Especially not now.

• Winner
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
Allemen is more towards the center of the district, and therefore when the district was formed it seemed like the correct place distance wise for everyone. No one thought that the population of Polk City would explode like it has and become the much larger town in the district.

Its hard to close a district or have one of the towns that has a school lose it to another town. In some of these towns the school is the major jobs provider, Gilbert is the same way, all the growth in the district is to the South and West of the town, but at least they are all located in Gilber.
Why do kids in north Ames go to Gilbert school district?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Why do you think there is only one public high school in WDM - athletics.

When they had to vote to either expand Valley Southwoods into the second high school in WDM or expand Valley, the expansion at Valley won easily. The supporters of keeping one high school made it clear that Valley would not be split because it would ruin their athletic programs, and there were already two high schools in WDM - Valley and Dowling.

I could see that being a thought and a factor but deep down there’s also maintaining a culture, the cost and effort to create a new culture, and the simple fact that the WDMSD doesn’t have much more residential area to develop and it seems like the city has avoided the “mega complex” apartments that are everywhere in a place like Waukee.

Basically the gist of it is WDM didn’t HAVE to split, so they didnt. And I’m sure that played in to thinking just as much as SPORTS! which is a much easier thing to vocalize than everything else I just mentioned. Whereas in Ankeny and Waukee I don’t think there was a choice.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Years and years ago it was Wash being the more wealth and Jeff was always pretty blue collar. They were YUGE rivals.

It is sad how much both have dissolved.

I guess I don't know much about what Kennedy is like but it was often the outskirts/Hiawatha/Robbins mixed with farm kids from Palo.
The way I always remembered the Cedar Rapids high schools was CR Wash (SE side) was old money, CR Kennedy (NW/NE side) was new money, CR Jeff (SW side) was no money. But this might have been more of an 80s/90s thing.

Last edited:

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I could see that being a thought and a factor but deep down there’s also maintaining a culture, the cost and effort to create a new culture, and the simple fact that the WDMSD doesn’t have much more residential area to develop and it seems like the city has avoided the “mega complex” apartments that are everywhere in a place like Waukee.

Basically the gist of it is WDM didn’t HAVE to split, so they didnt. And I’m sure that played in to thinking just as much as SPORTS! which is a much easier thing to vocalize than everything else I just mentioned. Whereas in Ankeny and Waukee I don’t think there was a choice.

Sports was a big reason for Valley not splitting. Not the only reason, but a big reason. Waterloo merging makes me think about the daily fights in the hallway. Wonder what their mascot will be? Colors? Black and orange? Black and pink? Black, orange and pink?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Sports was a big reason for Valley not splitting. Not the only reason, but a big reason. Waterloo merging makes me think about the daily fights in the hallway. Wonder what their mascot will be? Colors? Black and orange? Black and pink? Black, orange and pink?
Now that West has gone way more Maroon, you could easily do a Virginia Tech look. #BringBackOldRose

No idea on the mascot. Should probably blow it up and start over rather than trying to be cute with Tro-Hawks or something like that.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

There’s also a distinction to be made between not splitting up vs merging.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Why do kids in north Ames go to Gilbert school district?
Because that is where the district borders are, everything North and West of Bloomington road is in the Gilbert School District. In Ames that is where most of the growth in new homes has been for the last 10 years. Drive out past the new Fairway and Casey's out to the North towards Gilbert and West and growing like crazy with new homes.

West Ames is also doing the same, but nothing like North of Ames.

Help Support Us

Become a patron