Iowa High School BEDS count 24-25

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
Why do you think there is only one public high school in WDM - athletics.

When they had to vote to either expand Valley Southwoods into the second high school in WDM or expand Valley, the expansion at Valley won easily. The supporters of keeping one high school made it clear that Valley would not be split because it would ruin their athletic programs, and there were already two high schools in WDM - Valley and Dowling.
WDM Valley has more kids transfer in for academics and arts than athletics, so I would certainly dispute your point.

Valley Southwoods was the worst decision the WDMCS district has made. Its initial intentions of having a building to prepare freshman for high school by having all of the resources a student would need in the same "pod" or team was a great idea and was successful. Teams went away about 10 years ago and Southwoods has been nothing but a holding ground for 9th graders since there's no room at Valley. With no role models and no real consequences for actions, Southwoods is a festering boil waiting to pop.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
There’s also a distinction to be made between not splitting up vs merging.
They've outgrown the building at West and the city is growing away from East. They were going to either have to build a new West or just put the two together in a bigger, better building that serves the whole city. It makes the most financial sense.

Elementary is going to be K-5 as it is now, the 4 middle schools are going from 6-8 to 6-7 which alleviates the stress on Hoover Middle (currently 900 kids in a building built for 650), and East/West are going to be 8-9 with the new HS being 10-12 and attached to the Career Center that they built a few years ago.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
WDM Valley has more kids transfer in for academics and arts than athletics, so I would certainly dispute your point.

Valley Southwoods was the worst decision the WDMCS district has made. Its initial intentions of having a building to prepare freshman for high school by having all of the resources a student would need in the same "pod" or team was a great idea and was successful. Teams went away about 10 years ago and Southwoods has been nothing but a holding ground for 9th graders since there's no room at Valley. With no role models and no real consequences for actions, Southwoods is a festering boil waiting to pop.
The vote to do this was over 20 years ago. Certainly, things have changed over 20 years, especially with the growth of Waukee. However, as someone who lived in the WDM school district at that time and had neighbors with kids in WDM schools who played sports, they were very much against a 2nd high school. Academics and the arts were the last thing they cared about - it was all about beating Dowling.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ISUTex

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
The way I always remembered the Cedar Rapids high schools was CR Wash (SE side) was old money, CR Kennedy (NW/NE side) was new money, CR Jeff (SW side) was no money. But this might have been more of an 80s/90s thing.
That's still mostly true; most of the old money kids have graduated but their parents remain in the district. So they get no support and its boundaries prevent any growth.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

I doubt if Valley is getting a lot of athletes open enrolling into the district, the fear of many in the district was if they split the district that they would lose their spot at the top in all extra curriculars. Take half the athletes away, split between two competing schools and they both would struggle to beat Dowling and the growing suburban schools. Looking at the BEDs numbers if Ankeny and Waukee had taken the same approach they would have over 2800 kids in those three grades.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Out of interest, I did a quick search of the ole Google machine. The below site is interesting to look at and shows historical enrollment data in a graph form...

This is really interesting to see!

My school (Cascade) has really dropped off. It was about 600 students (jr high plus HS) in my day which was the all-time peak. Now it’s just a hair above 400. I believe they even dropped down to 1A and maybe even 8-man in FB.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Allemen is more towards the center of the district, and therefore when the district was formed it seemed like the correct place distance wise for everyone. No one thought that the population of Polk City would explode like it has and become the much larger town in the district.

Its hard to close a district or have one of the towns that has a school lose it to another town. In some of these towns the school is the major jobs provider, Gilbert is the same way, all the growth in the district is to the South and West of the town, but at least they are all located in Gilber.
No one thought the city with lakeside property would grow 10x faster than the one in the middle of a cornfield?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
No one thought the city with lakeside property would grow 10x faster than the one in the middle of a cornfield?
Looking at the census data from Polk City, it really didn't explode in growth until 2000 to 2010 increased 62% from 2010 to 2020.

1970 715,
1980 1658 when Saylorville was opened.
1990 1908
2000 2344
2010 3418
2020 5543.

So most of the growth has occurred since 2000, by then the school district was established and the high school was not going to be moved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polk_City,_Iowa

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
SEP is over double the size when I graduated (1991).
When I graduated in 2003 I'm pretty sure my graduating class was like 160 at waukee. My class was around 90 I think when my family moved there in 93. Between waukee and Northwest now they're pushing 900 per class

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
When I graduated in 2003 I'm pretty sure my graduating class was like 160 at waukee. My class was around 90 I think when my family moved there in 93. Between waukee and Northwest now they're pushing 900 per class
That growth is just crazy. Along with Ankeny and SE Polk.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Looking at the census data from Polk City, it really didn't explode in growth until 2000 to 2010 increased 62% from 2010 to 2020.

1970 715,
1980 1658 when Saylorville was opened.
1990 1908
2000 2344
2010 3418
2020 5543.

So most of the growth has occurred since 2000, by then the school district was established and the high school was not going to be moved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polk_City,_Iowa
They only built the new HS like 10 years ago and the growth in Polk City was well underway, and it was absolutely where a vast majority of the students resided at that time. It was already about 10x the size of Alleman.

If that’s what their students and parents wanted, then so be it. But looking at an area map, deciding to build the new school where the old one is because spatially it’s in the center, while making a vast majority of the students travel 9 miles is one of the most Iowa things ever.