Iowa High School Girls BB game?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Tension is starting among a local school. A local radio station started carrying the schools events (small school where it’s athletics over academics). Broadcasters and everything. Attendance started to drop at several home events. So the school is now started to mention they want a cut of advertising since they are losing at the gate they believe.
I have a hard time believing those local radio stations are getting rich covering home and away games for Fb, bb, and wrestling matches. Heck some radio stations even carry the local VB.
If the dang school gets too greedy it will be way easier just to drop it and flip on the standard canned music from wherever it comes from. It would be a shame but I wouldn't blame the radio station.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
3 high level DI athletes will do that for you even if it's volleyball rather than basketball.

Peyton Petersen could have played P5 basketball if she would have chosen that route. She's a cyborg.
Petersen is the best HS female athlete I've ever seen and I would assume she's gotta be up there if not #1 for most decorated athlete in the history of the state of Iowa. Between volleyball and basketball it will end up being 7 championships and 7 all tourney captains. And would've been 8/8 if not for a historic choke job against Western Christian in 2022. Just an insane career

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Dowling takes out Pleasant Valley.
In our world of political correctness, how is Estherville still the Midgets.

I don't know, but I like it. I played against them over 50 years ago. We were the Indians then and still are.

I don't think midgets or Indians care.

Reactions: NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I have a hard time believing those local radio stations are getting rich covering home and away games for Fb, bb, and wrestling matches. Heck some radio stations even carry the local VB.
If the dang school gets too greedy it will be way easier just to drop it and flip on the standard canned music from wherever it comes from. It would be a shame but I wouldn't blame the radio station.
I don’t think they are getting rich. The local station popped up literally due to the obsession of the local school with athletics. I called games the first year for them and was paid $35 per night (not game) and no mileage. So away games I broke even but did it to help the station get their feet wet. I was paired with a wife beater (literally) so there were times that I couldn’t even get equipment and had to call a game on a cell phone. So he made me and the station look bad (we alternated games).

They have since hired a full timer to broadcast games and he does other stuff also.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Out of 20 games in DSM so far, only 2 have not been won by the higher seed. Class 1A, 2A and 3A had no upsets. Class 4A, small upset in #5 North Polk over #4 DCG by 6. In 5A, #7 Cedar Falls took down #2 Davenport North by 6 (but DN is without star player Journey Houston-injury).

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
SEMIFINALS - THURSDAY, FEB. 29 and FRIDAY, MARCH 1

Thu 10:005A Semi#1 Johnston (24-0) vs #4 Waukee (19-4)
Thu 11:455A Semi#3 Dowling (20-4) vs #7 Cedar Falls (24-1)
Thu 1:303A Semi#1 Estherville-LC (23-2) vs #4 Mount Vernon (22-3)
Thu 3:153A Semi#2 DM Christian (24-1) vs #3 Solon (22-3)
Thu 5:004A Semi#1 Clear Creek-Amana (24-0) vs #5 North Polk (23-2)
Thu 6:454A Semi#2 Waverly-Shell Rock (24-0) vs #3 SC Heelan (23-1)
Fri 10:002A Semi#1 Dike-New Hartford (24-2) vs #4 Sioux Central (23-1)
Fri 11:452A Semi#2 Panorama (24-1) vs #3 Westwood (22-0)
Fri 1:301A Semi#1 North Linn (24-1) vs #4 CB St. Albert (23-1)
Fri 3:151A Semi#2 Newell-Fonda (23-2) vs #3 Remsen St. Mary's (24-0)
The seeding has held true for the most part. (Edit- sorry qwerty…you beat me to it)

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I pulled up the second half of Johnston vs Waukee and Tanke hit a pair of three-pointers right out of the gate. Jenica Lewis has nineteen points and Johnston is ahead 57-28. Those two can put the ball thru the hoop...

Reactions: acoustimac

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I pulled up the second half of Johnston vs Waukee and Tanke hit a pair of three-pointers right out of the gate. Jenica Lewis has nineteen points and Johnston is ahead 57-28. Those two can put the ball thru the hoop...
Johnston's incredible. So much talent. Obviously their big 3 of Lewis, Tanke and Riley are among the best HS girls in Iowa.

Plus, I've been really impressed by the talent of their freshman and sophomores. I feel like Johnston's 2nd five would be a tournament team

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Johnston's incredible. So much talent. Obviously their big 3 of Lewis, Tanke and Riley are among the best HS girls in Iowa.

Plus, I've been really impressed by the talent of their freshman and sophomores. I feel like Johnston's 2nd five would be a tournament team
Add to it that their post player (Jenkins) that came over from North has been getting D1 interest since she was a Freshman. I think when my daughter played them a few years ago there were people from Okie St. watching Jenkins.

Kind of sad that the last couple years that Roosevelt and North were pretty good teams, and that a little over a decade ago East won a state title. Now all the Des Moines teams are struggling mightily. They really can't compete with anyone in 4A/5A except one another.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Add to it that their post player (Jenkins) that came over from North has been getting D1 interest since she was a Freshman. I think when my daughter played them a few years ago there were people from Okie St. watching Jenkins.

Kind of sad that the last couple years that Roosevelt and North were pretty good teams, and that a little over a decade ago East won a state title. Now all the Des Moines teams are struggling mightily. They really can't compete with anyone in 4A/5A except one another.
Yea great point on Jenkins, she's a 6'1" junior post, she's very good. Johnston didn't need her on offense today, but she brings a tall post defender that does a great job of contesting shots.

Obviously, I hope Bill Fennelly is camping on Jennica Lewis' front door. She is so special. Can handle the ball, drive to bucket and make deep 3's. Another player who looks nationally ELITE for her age is their freshman Ari Phillips. She has an unbelievable handle and great on dribble drive.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Another player who looks nationally ELITE for her age is their freshman Ari Phillips. She has an unbelievable handle and great on dribble drive.
She anticipated a pass, jumped the lane and drove the court for a lefty layup while being fouled - it was a pretty play from beginning to end, but the thing that caught my attention was when the announcer said Ari was a twin.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

goes to show why they are ranked top 20 nationally!

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Where they playing college ball?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Dowling outscored Cedar Falls by 13 in the third quarter, and ended up winning by 11 (59-48).

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Dowling and Johnston have played twice this season with Johnston winning both:

Dec 5th: 65 to 53
Jan 19th: 43 to 31

Safe to assume Dowling will slow their pace of play to limit the Johnston possessions.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Yea great point on Jenkins, she's a 6'1" junior post, she's very good. Johnston didn't need her on offense today, but she brings a tall post defender that does a great job of contesting shots.

Obviously, I hope Bill Fennelly is camping on Jennica Lewis' front door. She is so special. Can handle the ball, drive to bucket and make deep 3's. Another player who looks nationally ELITE for her age is their freshman Ari Phillips. She has an unbelievable handle and great on dribble drive.
Lewis has made it known she does not want to stay in Iowa. She is waiting for offers from much bigger fish in the pond.