Iowa, ISU at odds over deal (football contract)

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
If there afraid to play us then let them out. Iowa knows the only way they can be successful is to play only teams they know they can beat in the non conference and then play a soft schedule in the over rated Big X.

We don't need Iowa on our schedule to be successful. If were too tough for them then let them take their ball and go home with their tail between their legs.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Let them go, start up a rivarly with Minn or Wisconsin. What a bunch of cry babies, how many extra tickets did they give ISU fans last year???? Screw them.

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Actually, ISU charging the $90 a ticket favors the U of Iowa because they would get more money than if ISU charged $65 a ticket because Iowa takes 20% of the gate. Supposedly, only 4000 Iowa fans bought tickets (unless they bought season tickets), so it's really the ISU fans that are picking up the tab.

Plus most people would have to buy a ticket for around the $90 a ticket from a scalper anyways.

By my calculations 50,000 tickets x $25 ($90-$65) per ticket x 20%=$250,000 more for Iowa*

*Rough calculations not sure how actual contract and finances are figured, state taxes not included

Last edited:

flyhighcy

Aug 7, 2006
Actually, ISU charging the $90 a ticket favors the U of Iowa

Call Iowa afraid, call them anything but the $90 thing and the mandatory season tix deal have ruffled some feathers big time.

I am an I-club member and at an August event this very topic came up..I saw some big donors voicing their opinion on this series...if they have any pull things don't look good. Just about every Iowa Fan that I know does not want to play ISU anymore.

As an Iowa Fan I personally see our rivalry with Minny a much bigger deal...But of course It might be because I don't hate ISU like many Iowa fans do..

Rumors are that if Krause pressures enough it will be over..But honestly do you guys really want to play Iowa EVERY year?/// Why not every other year.

Last edited:

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Call Iowa afraid, call them anything but the $90 thing and the mandatory season tix deal have ruffled some feathers big time.

I am an I-club member and at an August event this very topic came up..I saw some big donors voicing their opinion on this series...if they have any pull things don't look good. Just about every Iowa Fan that I know does not want to play ISU anymore.

As an Iowa Fan I personally see our rivalry with Minny a much bigger deal...But of course It might be because I don't hate ISU like many Iowa fans do..

this rivalry is in jeaporday...Many people thing that there is a State Law that requires the series....that is simply untrue.

I'm sorry, but Iowa fans act as if they have some form of entitlement to buy tickets at a price they believe is acceptable. They don't have to go to the game if it is so objectionable.

You have to be pretty arrogant to feel that you have the right to set prices and ticket policies at someone else's stadium. This type of response reminds me of a spoiled child that doesn't get their way.

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Personally I,m sick of all Iowa fans whining and excuses so I wouldn't care if we didn't play every year, but let it be known that Iowa and their fans wanted out of this series not ISU.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Good bye Iowa..... I really don't care about this game. Its good for ISU economics, but I really could care less anymore about that. Lets get MN on the schedule. I am fed up with this week. Nothing but complete Hawkeye garbage.

Lets see if I can channel a typical Iowa fan (listening to Cotler this morning... Should be easy)

Oh..... The hawks rule... We always win. We are expected to win, nothing to gain.

Jamie charges us too much. We should get in cheap.. only 49,000 tickets sold. We deserve to get in. We are royalty.

I don't hate the Hawks but during this week..... You get the biggest idoits of both sides making it no fun.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
BeatDeadHorse.gif

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I wouldn't want to play a team that has a winning record over the last 10 years against my team in the non-conference either.

Rage On

Jul 20, 2006
mt85 is right on. Pollard sets the rules when the game is in Ames. The last time I checked, Pollard worked for ISU boosters/fans and not EIU. As a booster, I expect him to make decisions that elevate our program regardless of how EIU's arrogant and unreasonable fans accept his decisions.

I would love it if we dropped the EIU game simply because the outcome does not have an affect on dealing with EIU fans. When we win, the blind arrogance of EIU fans never lets them accept the fact that ISU has a better team. Even with a 23-3 loss, they were finding excuses.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
This part I love:

The current contract favors Iowa State, if only because Iowa has almost 15,000 more seats at Kinnick Stadium. Following the 2004 game, Iowa State took home $583,935. After last year's game, Iowa paid Iowa State $593,103. Both of those games were played in Iowa City.

ISU paid Iowa $386,914.17 after the 2005 game in Ames.

How can this favor ISU??? What did the UofI take from the IC game in 2004 versus what ISU took in the 2003 game? Because the 20% payout is higher, it also means the 80% take is higher.... geezzz... what kind of math are we using??!!:wideeyed:

-keep.

flyhighcy

Aug 7, 2006
I'm sorry, but Iowa fans .... They don't have to go to the game if it is so objectionable.

THe point is Many including some big boosters ARE finding it objectionable...and instead of following your advice about not going to the game they are taking it a step further by wanting the series cancelled.

Barta has been very close to the vest on the contractual issues...there has been considerable buzz about the Tickets around this years game and the unfairness of the current contract...this has fanned the flames by Iowa fans to start barking about ending the series. It is nothing new..Iowa fans have been talking for quite awhile about changing the series or outright ending it.

I have heard ISU fans mention the same thing.

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
This part I love:

How can this favor ISU??? What did the UofI take from the IC game in 2004 versus what ISU took in the 2003 game? Because the 20% payout is higher, it also means the 80% take is higher.... geezzz... what kind of math are we using??!!:wideeyed:

-keep.

I hate it when the media doesn't display all the facts just the one's that help their point. I would be interested to see what Iowa gets from other non-conference road games.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
THe point is Many including some big boosters ARE finding it objectionable...and instead of following your advice about not going to the game they are taking it a step further by wanting the series cancelled.

Barta has been very close to the vest on the contractual issues...there has been considerable buzz about the Tickets around this years game and the unfairness of the current contract...this has fanned the flames by Iowa fans to start barking about ending the series. It is nothing new..Iowa fans have been talking for quite awhile about changing the series or outright ending it.

I have heard ISU fans mention the same thing.

Like I said. It is the same way spoiled children respond when they don't get their way.

Last edited:

flyhighcy

Aug 7, 2006
This part I love:

-keep.

Gee I thought the argument was equity in what the visiting team gets. Its not Iowa's fault that ISU has a smaller stadium. You are making it sound like the only way Iowa fills a stadium is when ISU comes to town..

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Gee I thought the argument was equity in what the visiting team gets. Its not Iowa's fault that ISU has a smaller stadium. You are making it sound like the only way Iowa fills a stadium is when ISU comes to town..

Why would we care about equity with a visiting team let alone a rival?

It is a good point that Iowa would probably have a full stadium not matter who they were playing but would they get more money from some other away game?