Iowa Nice Guy arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Like anything else, you grow up seeing your parents do it you are probably going to do it to. Then when you have kid's............................

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Jesus, this is a stupid conversation. How anyone can think drunk driving on a gravel road is safe is ludicrous. I'm embarrassed to count someone like that among Iowa State fans.

I have no idea on the stats, but I do know that when a person drives drunk they are likely not driving carefully or slowly. And I do know that driving too fast on gravel roads is dangerous and risky sober.

Growing up where I did it was a normal thing. "Gravel travel" Booze Cruise" whatever you want to call it.

But you are thinking differently than what it is. First, most of us grew up on gravels, we can drive 70 on gravels with our eyes closed. But what we are talking about in this case is driving around on mostly abandoned roads with no houses or a house ever mile or 2 at most. At a top speed of about 10 mph. Its not about the destination its about the journey when you did that, It was just putting around sometimes just stopped in a field drive, but mostly just cruising at extremely slow speeds.

Is it safe, meh probably not. But if someone got hit at those speeds it would barely make a dent. This is not the issue. This is rural country back roads Iowa, although I dont think it is as prevalent today as it was when I was younger.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Growing up where I did it was a normal thing. "Gravel travel" Booze Cruise" whatever you want to call it.

But you are thinking differently than what it is. First, most of us grew up on gravels, we can drive 70 on gravels with our eyes closed. But what we are talking about in this case is driving around on mostly abandoned roads with no houses or a house ever mile or 2 at most. At a top speed of about 10 mph. Its not about the destination its about the journey when you did that, It was just putting around sometimes just stopped in a field drive, but mostly just cruising at extremely slow speeds.

Is it safe, meh probably not. But if someone got hit at those speeds it would barely make a dent. This is not the issue. This is rural country back roads Iowa, although I dont think it is as prevalent today as it was when I was younger.

70 on a gravel road is bad and I knew several people that got in collisions/rollovers from booze cruisin'.

It was a sort of right of passage but man there were close calls and there's plenty of examples of others not being so lucky.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
70 on a gravel road is bad and I knew several people that got in collisions/rollovers from booze cruisin'.

It was a sort of right of passage but man there were close calls and there's plenty of examples of others not being so lucky.
Im not saying 70 is good on gravel, Im saying people that grew up on it are used to it and know how to drive on it.

But true booze cruisin' is not going at high speed. Its slow cruising. If you are trying to get from point A to B taking gravels to get there while drinking, then yeah you are not booze cruising. And yeah people do that too, to skirt the law. Most people I know still drive slow to enjoy the ride. But then the others that drive fast and crazy are on another level, they are just idiots usually, and they are the ones that just cause accidents, they are the ones that drive gravels to get away with being drunk, drive fast and get to where they want.

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee

Yep, still very common in southern Iowa where you can get drinks to-go from small-town bars. I’m not gonna mention where but I’m sure there are plenty on this board that spend time “south of 34” that know what I’m talking about.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Yep, still very common in southern Iowa where you can get drinks to-go from small-town bars. I’m not gonna mention where but I’m sure there are plenty on this board that spend time “south of 34” that know what I’m talking about.

I live south of 34 and have no idea what you're talking about.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Jesus Christ. How some of you want to justify doing something completely illegal on public road ways is just laughable. Bunch of freaks
Justification, vs saying what happens is totally different. Kinda like saying a guy gets his first OWI automatically needs help vs maybe made a mistake and had 1 too many and was barely over the limit, and didnt realize it, and is not an alcoholic.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I dont justify driving drunk, I dont condone it. I have lost multiple friends to drunk driving. Dont take what I say the wrong way. Im just saying what happens. I have had many arguments with friends to keep them from driving. I have walked home many times. I have called for rides. In places where there is no Uber for 150 miles.
But I also admit there were times I probably was stupid and drove when I shouldnt have too. We all do stupid things. I learned as I grew, as friends lost their lives.
But that doesnt change what happens. It also doesnt change what is real life, and realizing things in rural areas are quite different then Metro Des Moines.
Some of you really need to take a trip outside The City limits every so often and see what its like in the country.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
JFC, those advocating empty rural roads as a "safer" way to drive drunk are part of the problem.

"Of the 10,511 alcohol-impaired-driving fatalities in 2018, there were 4,714 (45%) that occurred in rural areas, 5,649 (54%) that occurred in urban areas, and 148 (1%) were unknowns."

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Jesus, this is a stupid conversation. How anyone can think drunk driving on a gravel road is safe is ludicrous. I'm embarrassed to count someone like that among Iowa State fans.

I have no idea on the stats, but I do know that when a person drives drunk they are likely not driving carefully or slowly. And I do know that driving too fast on gravel roads is dangerous and risky sober.

Actually, they are driving slowly, usually very slowly. Cops will tell you that one indicator of a drunk driver is going way below the speed limit. My daughters car blew a tire a year or two ago and I put a donut on it to get it home. Not supposed to drive over 40 on them so that’s what I did. Got called in for driving slow and then pulled over within 10 miles and the cop told me that.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Figured this was gonna happen at some point.
Ever since it came out he got divorced it was just booze filled story after story on Murph n Andy.

sometimes we need a reset. I have a DUI. Got it when I was 24. Never have driven drunk since.

Jesus Christ. How some of you want to justify doing something completely illegal on public road ways is just laughable. Bunch of freaks

First off no one should drive impaired, but most of us have. But pot meet kettle to bannedman. You have other posts in here criticizing Scott. Maybe you should let him learn like you did.

Reactions: dmclone
Status
Not open for further replies.