Iowa Nice Guy arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
About half of the people I known that have been killed in DD accidents were killed on gravel roads. At least 6 were killed because they didn't have seat belts on more than anything. 4 got ejected and the vehicle rolled over them, 1 got ejected and froze to death, and one got ejected through the front windshield and hit a telephone pole.
My dad would be dead if not for his seat belt. The engine went flying but he didn't
I'm sorry you know so many people who have been killed. Damn.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The judgement some people on this site pass on anyone that gets a drunk driving charge is amazing. Have seen people like Kim Reynolds who has been sober for around 2 decades now called a drunk and Sonya Heitshusen who turned her life around too and started doing Iron Man marathons that nearly everyone here couldn't do themselves get called every which name or thrown under the bus. Some people go through some dark times and make bad choices but those who learn from them and make life changing decisions come out of it as better people and hopefully Scott does too.

I'm sure many of us here have driven after tailgating or a night out and would have blown over .08 if pulled over but never have been caught. Hell I know I have several times and that doesn't make me any better of a person than someone that got an OWI that did the same thing I have done. Instead of shaming these people and labeling them things how about hope they learn from their mistakes and find something positive to come out of it. If this was one of our best athletes such as a key player on the FB team that had a bad moment and got an OWI would we be here condemning them or trying to downplay what happened?

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Jesus, this is a stupid conversation. How anyone can think drunk driving on a gravel road is safe is ludicrous. I'm embarrassed to count someone like that among Iowa State fans.

I have no idea on the stats, but I do know that when a person drives drunk they are likely not driving carefully or slowly. And I do know that driving too fast on gravel roads is dangerous and risky sober.

It all depends on the person, when I was living in Wi a woman I know was driving back from the bar saw the light turn yellow slowed down and easily made the stop. Cop lit her up and popped her for OWI said he pulled her over for being overly cautious. Was she OWI sure, He should have just made her park the car and walk home IMO, but he got to write his ticket quota.

Reactions: cyfan21

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
About half of the people I known that have been killed in DD accidents were killed on gravel roads. At least 6 were killed because they didn't have seat belts on more than anything. 4 got ejected and the vehicle rolled over them, 1 got ejected and froze to death, and one got ejected through the front windshield and hit a telephone pole.

I'm willing to guess at least 3/4 of them were under 25. Everybody is bulletproof when your in your 20's.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I'm willing to guess at least 3/4 of them were under 25. Everybody is bulletproof when your in your 20's.
Yeah they were pretty much all under 30 anyway. There was one a few years ago that got killed up somewhere around Greenfield and she was in her low 40's. Risk takers for sure.

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
We do not know the details of his case to judge. We do know that DD is very political and cops write those tickets at every shining chance they get. The field test are worthless and highly inaccurate, the 40 year old machines at the stations could never meet same standards as used in Auto mfg sites for repeatability and reproducibility. The % that are convicted vs charged is widely different. A lot of states are allowed to charge someone that blows under limit if it’s perceived…. Lots of BS political money gathering. And it starts with all the signs you see showing made up costs.

With all that said don’t risk it if you been drinking call a ride.

Reactions: Bob f

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I can think of probably 20 people that I have known that have been killed in DD accidents dating back to when I was say 15 and I'm 41 now. No joke. They were all from SW Iowa. I used to party in a lot of different towns so at one time I knew quite a few people. I've had 4 friends commit suicide in the last 5 years too.

Kind of glad I don't know you IRL you seem to be a unlucky talisman ;)(JK)
I'm guessing your group of friends just partied harder than the group I ran with.

Reactions: deadeyededric

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
It all depends on the person, when I was living in Wi a woman I know was driving back from the bar saw the light turn yellow slowed down and easily made the stop. Cop lit her up and popped her for OWI said he pulled her over for being overly cautious. Was she OWI sure, He should have just made her park the car and walk home IMO, but he got to write his ticket quota.

I know of a friend that got pulled over just a few miles from his destination by a county deputy. He blew under the limit but the deputy was worried based on his field sobriety testing that if he waited long enough he may blow over. Had him call the friend he was driving to visit come and get him and told them just make sure they get the car off the highway in a timely manner so he drove him home and had someone come pick up his car. No one harmed, very lucky it was not a deputy on a power trip that wanted to take him in and see what he could book him for.

Had another friend that was drunk and his sober wife who had nothing to drink that night drive home. They got pulled over and his wife somehow fails field sobriety test because she is that uncoordinated so the cop comes over and asks him and he says his wife has not had anything to drink. Cop asks him to step out and blow and he somehow blows under and the cop tells him he should be the one driving. He laughed and said he was hammered and there is no way he should be driving over his sober wife. Cop finally makes his wife blow and she registers all zeros and they are sent on their way. Just shows you how alcohol can impact some differently.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Actually, they are driving slowly, usually very slowly. Cops will tell you that one indicator of a drunk driver is going way below the speed limit. My daughters car blew a tire a year or two ago and I put a donut on it to get it home. Not supposed to drive over 40 on them so that’s what I did. Got called in for driving slow and then pulled over within 10 miles and the cop told me that.

7. 7 Miles a hour.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
My wife wonders why I refuse to move to a small town. All I have to do is point to her cousins who all drink heavily, and smoke/chew. Yeah it happens in the city but it isn’t ingrained in the culture so much.

*yes there are exceptions I have family in small towns that doesn’t drink much or smoke but they are the few it seems. Hell go into a caseys in a small town and look at the product differences compared to one in CR or DSM

Reactions: Dr.bannedman

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Lets break this down. Of course metro areas have more population which would be more miles driven for business, industry and commuting, and other reasons that far outweigh the miles driven, drinking and driving. That is a minute percentage.
Next fatalities happen most on where speed is a factor. Rural areas all would be at higher speeds.

Taking raw numbers like this makes no sense you have to realize that, without looking at the context behind them, You cant compare total miles driven to fatalities from drunk driving, unless you compare miles driven to drunk driving, in both urban and rural, then compare miles driven sober to fatalities in urban and rural areas. Problem is no one has accurate data on actual miles driven drunk. So this is flawed data. As I said.

They compare alcohol fatalities vs total miles driven, not miles driven by drunk drivers. Because they have no idea of knowing that. But that figure is way off because generally more people are of course driving more regular miles in metro areas, for all other things than drinking and driving. It not going to be a 1 to 1 comparison. This is the problem with subjective data. You can give data that seems to make a point but in reality its just biased to fit your narrative, it is how politics use data all the time.

You are parsing numbers at an asinine level. Fact of the matter is a minority of the percentage of population, rural, makes up damned near a an equal of the number of the drunk driving deaths. Yes, speed kills, hence why I illustrated why driving on "empty" rural roads is not safer than some ******* drunk idiot driving in the city who plows into a car at 15 mph. There is no "safe" or "less dangerous" way to drive drunk unlike a few folks have seemed to allude to.

Not to say the guy here deserves some huge condemnation, mistakes can be made and fortunately here it didn't result in a greater issue, but it's all about how he handles things going forward.

• Dumb
Reactions: 2speedy1

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
I am wasted now and drove from my living room to my bedroom. Should I be murdered for drunk driving? You decided.

Prude *******.

Reactions: cyfan21

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
My wife wonders why I refuse to move to a small town. All I have to do is point to her cousins who all drink heavily, and smoke/chew. Yeah it happens in the city but it isn’t ingrained in the culture so much.

It's strange what people consider when they decide to move. These two items would be about 800th on my list of importance when it came to choosing a town.
I think one of the reasons it feels like smaller towns are filled with drunks is because you see these same people all the time. The small town I grew up in had one bar. Probably 40% of the town visited this bar and probably 5% of those people drank all the time at this bar and had a problem. If you put those same people in Des Moines, you may see them one time in your life and then never again. The same can be said for those two guys with rebel flags on their trucks, "Betty that never wears a bra", and the Miller family who always let their children run around town in bare feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron