Iowa not a top 32 team?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Best OL in Iowa history.

One of the better ones I've seen.

'We're going to run right here, and you can't stop that, and then we'll hit our underrated TE Dwight Clark for 15 on the other side. Good luck.'

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Iowa played one team with elite speed in 2002 and got boat raced (USC). Never mind the home loss to a 7-6 ISU team. Iowa has had a lot of success in the last 40 years under Fry and Ferentz but every time they play on a big stage against a team with speed like that TCU team they are overmatched.
Nobody's team EVER loses a hypothetical matchup. Message board 101.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Best OL in Iowa history.
Too bad their OL performance had to take a big step down on consistency when Morgan had to move over to DL to make room for Brain. The individual studs are still studs, but those greater than the sum of their parts units were done at that point. Morgan was so good.

• Agree
Reactions: Gonzo

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Without defining a strategy (or thinking too hard about it), I picked teams in this order:

ALABAMA
CLEMSON
OHIO ST
GEORGIA
LSU
NOTRE DAME
OKLAHOMA
MICHIGAN
PENN ST
TEXAS
USC
FLORIDA
AUBURN
TEXAS A&M
TENNESSEE
FLORIDA ST
OREGON
MICHIGAN ST
WISCONSIN
NEBRASKA
WASHINGTON
IOWA (22)
MIAMI
MISSISSIPPI
VIRGINIA TECH
SOUTH CAROLINA
UCLA
STANFORD
OKLAHOMA ST
UTAH
BYU
ARKANSAS
--
MISSOURI
MINNESOTA
GEORGIA TECH
NORTH CAROLINA
ARIZONA ST
COLORADO
VIRGINIA
KENTUCKY
KANSAS ST
IOWA ST
WEST VIRGINIA
PURDUE
TEXAS TECH
LOUISVILLE
ARIZONA
MISSISSIPI ST
ILLINOIS
PITT
Not too bad but this would be mine ( in no particular order)

1-Alabama
2-Clemson
3-Georgia
4-LSU
5-Oklahoma
6-Ohio State
7-Michigan
8-Wisconsin
9-Oregon
10-Michigan State
11- Miami
12- Florida
13- Texas A&M
14- Okie State
15- Penn State
16- USC
17- Auburn
18- Notre Dame
19- Ole Miss
20- Washington
21-North Carolina
22- Florida State
23- Virginia Tech
24- Kentucky
25- Baylor
26- Texas
27- Utah
28- BYU
29- UCLA
30- Michigan State
31- Pittsburg
32- Iowa

Mostly similar but I just barely had Iowa. The case could be made for a Stanford or Nebraska or someone else but that would be mine.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
.....Off the cuff, I’d put Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, and USC certainly way above them just in the Big 10, with Wisconsin and Michigan State fairly similar to them (could go in any order)......
Big Daddy Barry smiling at this as he polishes his Big10 championship rings....

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
VT did play for a natty.
I think the Beamer era comp is pretty good to Iowa in a lot of ways. They are programs that the college football people, media and hardcore fans know and really respect, but it doesn’t have the juice to get much excitement from casual fans.

If there is ever a dissolution of conferences and starting from scratch to form a league there could be some strange choices from a media standpoint that those of us that follow college football closely don’t really get.

For example, there’s no way in hell UNC is getting left out. No chance a league excludes a fast growing, high pop state like that with a name program. UVA probably same thing. Or there are teams like UCLA, who doesn’t interest its own fans, but if they are good will draw interest from casual fans. Same with Miami.

Reactions: dafarmer

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
That's actually an interesting thought. Nebraska clearly has the history by far. Iowa has the last 15 years by far. That might be a toss up. I'm one of the people on an island though that think Nebraska could be kinds of the Big 10 West if they just had a decent coach. If they convinced Peterson or Urban to get back into coaching and threw the money at them, they could be dangerous.
I think Iowa is the better program right now, but that’s not how they would select the teams imo. It’s not a meritocracy; it’s whoever gets them the most money. And I think including Nebraska would make them more money than Iowa

Reactions: BCClone and Jer

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Not too bad but this would be mine ( in no particular order)

1-Alabama
2-Clemson
3-Georgia
4-LSU
5-Oklahoma
6-Ohio State
7-Michigan
8-Wisconsin
9-Oregon
10-Michigan State
11- Miami
12- Florida
13- Texas A&M
14- Okie State
15- Penn State
16- USC
17- Auburn
18- Notre Dame
19- Ole Miss
20- Washington
21-North Carolina
22- Florida State
23- Virginia Tech
24- Kentucky
25- Baylor
26- Texas
27- Utah
28- BYU
29- UCLA
30- Michigan State
31- Pittsburg
32- Iowa

Mostly similar but I just barely had Iowa. The case could be made for a Stanford or Nebraska or someone else but that would be mine.
No way Pit, UCLA, Kentucky, VTech, or North Carolina make the Top 32 programs if it was just football.

• Agree
Reactions: davegilbertson

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I think Iowa is the better program right now, but that’s not how they would select the teams imo. It’s not a meritocracy; it’s whoever gets them the most money. And I think including Nebraska would make them more money than Iowa
I would agree with that. I think Iowa likely still gets in the Top 32, but I also think in that scenario ISU is probably down in the late 40s.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Iowa played one team with elite speed in 2002 and got boat raced (USC). Never mind the home loss to a 7-6 ISU team. Iowa has had a lot of success in the last 40 years under Fry and Ferentz but every time they play on a big stage against a team with speed like that TCU team they are overmatched.
Penn State that year had 6 draft picks in the first 60 picks. They were loaded but we just ran Russell right at them until we ultimately went to prevent mode it should of been a 20 point victory in Happy Valley. Michigan wasn't as lucky. They finished 10th but were beaten to an oblivion in the big house. Iowa state and September games in general was Ferentz's early achilles much like Campbell today.

Last edited:

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010
If the big 10 did not have the west teams and had to pick them in order, how do you think they would pick them? They have went with TV markets all along, I would put Iowa ahead of only NW with that. Wisconsin and MN have bigger media markets, Nebraska still has a fairly decent national following from their big days and are the only school in their state. Illinois has the Chicago market per big ten. Guess I forgot Purdue. Does Purdue or Indiana pull Indianapolis? Guessing UI so Iowa is above NW and Purdue for how the big ten would select. So basically 5th in the west.
We are talking brand. My point is that Iowa has the name. You mentioned Minnesota. More people follow Iowa than Minnesota. That state is a hockey state, a Vikings state, and a twins state, in that order. Iowa has some order of iowa and iowa state. Not really much else. For name brand, Iowa is second in the west.

• Haha
Reactions: BCClone

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010
Wisconsin and MSU are significantly higher. Way more people watch. MSU had the slip post Dantonio but they have been getting great ratings the past couple years.

I still think Iowa would get in a 32 team league, but they are a lot more of a respected program than interesting program that draws great interest.
I’d argue with significantly on Michigan State but at that point it’s moving periods. I can’t necessarily disagree with anything else.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We are talking brand. My point is that Iowa has the name. You mentioned Minnesota. More people follow Iowa than Minnesota. That state is a hockey state, a Vikings state, and a twins state, in that order. Iowa has some order of iowa and iowa state. Not really much else. For name brand, Iowa is second in the west.
So they’re bigger Brand then Wisconsin or Nebraska?

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I would agree with that. I think Iowa likely still gets in the Top 32, but I also think in that scenario ISU is probably down in the late 40s.
You are probably right, I think Iowa would be in, but it would be close. I call Iowa a Bubble team that could go either way at 32.

Iowa State I think would need it to go to 48 to be somewhat safe. ISU starts to get to bubble status in the 40s, by 50 they are in, I think. What would hurt us is being the 2nd team from Iowa, other small population states like Neb, Min, Wis, Mo, etc. only have 1 to worry about.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
So they’re bigger Brand then Wisconsin or Nebraska?
Probably not, the State suffers with 1 brand as big of those 2 by having 2 power 5 schools in it imo. I think if there was only an Iowa or Iowa State it would surpass Wisconsin in terms of diehards and following.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Probably not, the State suffers with 1 brand as big of those 2 by having 2 power 5 schools in it imo. I think if there was only an Iowa or Iowa State it would surpass Wisconsin in terms of diehards and following.
I think scrapping divisions will hurt Iowa, you agree?

• Winner
Reactions: Statefan10

Help Support Us

Become a patron