Iowa rape case: Mother's allegations researched

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
No, I am 100% certain that you'd be waiting for any/all evidence before you brought out your pitch forks and lit your torch.

Then you're 100% wrong. There's enough evidence to know that things were handled horribly by officials at U of I. In fact I can't even take joy in how badly they bungled this because I'm embarassed by how this reflects on the entire state of Iowa. I don't see how a Hawkeye fan could not be embarassed.

Calling Iowa fans and alum horrible people because they're looking at this entire situation with frustration yet support for the university is just wrong.

You're right. I shouldn't generalize about all Hawk fans and alumni. Only the Iowa fans and alumni who support the University's handling of this incident are horrible people. Is that better?

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
You're right. I shouldn't generalize about all Hawk fans and alumni. Only the Iowa fans and alumni who support the University's handling of this incident are horrible people. Is that better?

I guess I don't know anyone personally, that is an Iowa fan, that supports the University's handling of this thing, in total.

Not one.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
I guess I don't know anyone personally, that is an Iowa fan, that supports the University's handling of this thing, in total.

Not one.

I don't know an Iowa fan that even knows what went on with even a small level of detail.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
So what would you call supposedly moving players into the crime scene before it was ever investigated by any law enforcement officials? Some people might consider that involvement. Or how about not putting a leash on his players, telling them to leave that accuser alone, maybe he couldn't be asked to be involved in that part? Oh to be Saint Kirk, the man who can do no wrong.

Exactly! I would argue that KF should have been more involved since these were his players. I guess by sticking his head in the sand during all of this he has plausible deniability.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Then you're 100% wrong. There's enough evidence to know that things were handled horribly by officials at U of I. In fact I can't even take joy in how badly they bungled this because I'm embarassed by how this reflects on the entire state of Iowa. I don't see how a Hawkeye fan could not be embarassed.

No, no. Southern and Jon are right. When the mother's letters came out, they said we should wait for the other-side of the story to come out. For the of u of i to have their opportunity to say their peace. That's what they wanted to do, and rightfully so.

The u of i has now had their say, through various quotes and their participation in interviews and/or the investigation. Nothing that "proves" their case, or "disproves" the what was said by the family. From what I see, it mostly just contradicts.

So both sides have had their say. More accurately, the family made their accusations and the university retorted.

And it has been deemed the university is telling the truth, and the family isn't. :eek:

Ernie Godfrey

May 17, 2006
Yep. I think things will happen behind the scenes and the accuser/victim will quietly go away. There are people with deep pockets close to the U of Iowa that can make sure this happens.

As for the two accused: Not even sure if they will ever even have to go to court. If they do, I lay odds at 4 to 1 that they get off or at least plead down.

I was referring to the fact a large % of sexual assault cases never go to trial, but if a conspiracy theory suits you have at it.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I don't know an Iowa fan that even knows what went on with even a small level of detail.

Yep. My parents in NW Iowa had not heard much about this thing, let alone my sister over by Cedar Rapids. The media silence on this thing for the most part has been deafening.

Luckily, I have been around, doing my part to remind the Hawks that they smell bad.

cloneaholic

Apr 20, 2006
And I expect those individuals that do not have a satisfactory answer for their actions to lose their jobs, and rightfully so.

But, around here, Marcus Mills and or Phillip Jones losing their jobs is not going to be enough meat on the bone. Some want to see Kirk's head roll.

Kirk did all that he was empowered to do, in suspending the players, sans criminal charges, that the alleged victim did not want to pursue. He sent Tillison back into the room, per university policy.

And as I have said before, that decision was likely an error in judgment, but I do not believe, nor did independent counsel, that it was done so out of malice or cover up.

Those that have a different opinion on this matter, I am not going to convince you otherwise, and you are not going to convince me otherwise.

Which of course will mean that you are right, I am spinning and defending, blah, blah, blah.

The report said that Jones' ineffectual actions and sometimes cavalier actions likely were responsible for the family's belief that there was a cover up afoot.

Go read the report, page 48 on the Office For VP of Student Affairs section.

Jon,
I have read the report. I have also read several newspaper accounts of the conversation that took place at yesterday's BOR meeting. Here is an excerpt from an article in today's Daily Iowan, the U of I newspaper:

"Regent Michale Gartner said he didn't understand how the UI's failure to hand over the documents fell short of a cover-up, but Bryant insisted the situation was a "huge mistake"."

So it seems that it isn't just us cyclone fans who feel there's a cover up. At least one BOR member (and likely others) feel there was a cover up as well. I would contend that any normal person, when given the facts above, would come to the same conclusion. But you're probably right, I'm not going to convince you of this. But tell me, who's really being biased in this situation?

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Ok - so far I'm on page 7.

Two things to this point.

"Between October 24 and November 5, the Student-Athlete and her parents
contacted several University officials, including Marcus Mills and Fred Mims, in an
attempt to obtain information regarding the progress of the investigation. During this
period, the Student-Athlete was subjected to harassment and retaliation from members of
the football team, as well as other student-athletes, including physical threats and shouts
of insulting and offensive language. The Student-Athlete reported that the harassment
and retaliatory behavior worsened when she was in situations where large numbers of
student-athletes were present, such as in the Hillcrest Hall dining area and the student athlete
Learning Center."

Yep - kf went out of his way for this girl. As did gb. I'm sure the excuse will be presented that they probably didn't know about the harassment. :skeptical: It's proven that u of i is incompetent. But am I to believe that these reports were not forwarded to at least gb?​

We can now throw out the notion that kf and gb did "all they could".

Now a bit more of a real kick in the pants.​

"
On or about November 9, Brian Meyer, a DPS officer investigating the case,
informed the Student-Athlete in the presence of her RVAP advocate that Football
Player #2 had likely also had sexual intercourse with her on the morning of October 14.
At that point, Football Player #2 had been living down the hall from the Student-Athlete
in a female student’s room for three weeks."

But earlier...​

"At least by October 22, the
Department of Athletics had strong evidence suggesting that, in spite of the Student-
Athlete’s belief that only Football Player #1 was involved in the incident, Football
Player #2 had also participated."

So the AD knew on Oct 22 that there was a second alleged perp, but no one bothered to notify the victim for another 2-3 weeks.​

You stay classy hawks.

I will admit, that Jon is right on this - that the report does substaniate the iowa position that the family agreed to the informal route and does state that the girl was told she could end the informal at any point and press charges. However, I'm thusfar disappointed in the detail - being that only the conclusions are laid out, not how they got to them.​

Last edited:

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Just an observation. The committie made a judgement that the University of Iowa did not cover up information requested by the Regents. It was simply a mistake-incompetence. Does anyone actually believe that a dozen lawyers were not involved in the decision on what information to provide? We are asked to believe it was one persons decision not to provide the information, and he didn't know why he didn't provide it. Thus, it doesn't not meet the standard for cover-up. In our hearts, we all know better than this. But it doesn't matter I guess.

Reactions: joefrog

cloneaholic

Apr 20, 2006
Just an observation. The committie made a judgement that the University of Iowa did not cover up information requested by the Regents. It was simply a mistake-incompetence. Does anyone actually believe that a dozen lawyers were not involved in the decision on what information to provide? We are asked to believe it was one persons decision not to provide the information, and he didn't know why he didn't provide it. Thus, it doesn't not meet the standard for cover-up. In our hearts, we all know better than this. But it doesn't matter I guess.

Ketel, I think it does matter. In fact, I'm just naive enough to think that the BOR feels there was a cover-up, in spite of what the so-called investigators say. Regent Gartner made it clear yesterday that he felt there was a cover-up and I'll bet you that he isn't the only board member that feels this way. I'm predicting that Regent President David Miles is going to come down harshly on the university for this.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Jon,
I have read the report. I have also read several newspaper accounts of the conversation that took place at yesterday's BOR meeting. Here is an excerpt from an article in today's Daily Iowan, the U of I newspaper:

"Regent Michale Gartner said he didn't understand how the UI's failure to hand over the documents fell short of a cover-up, but Bryant insisted the situation was a "huge mistake"."

So it seems that it isn't just us cyclone fans who feel there's a cover up. At least one BOR member (and likely others) feel there was a cover up as well. I would contend that any normal person, when given the facts above, would come to the same conclusion. But you're probably right, I'm not going to convince you of this. But tell me, who's really being biased in this situation?

I do not believe the athletic department was involved in any sort of cover up.

As it relates to Marcus Mills and Phillip Jones' actions/inactions, they have some serious explaining to do.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I do not believe the athletic department was involved in any sort of cover up.

As it relates to Marcus Mills and Phillip Jones' actions/inactions, they have some serious explaining to do.

Well, we've established that they appear to have covered up the fact to the victim that there was a second football player for approx 2-3 weeks.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Ketel, I think it does matter. In fact, I'm just naive enough to think that the BOR feels there was a cover-up, in spite of what the so-called investigators say. Regent Gartner made it clear yesterday that he felt there was a cover-up and I'll bet you that he isn't the only board member that feels this way. I'm predicting that Regent President David Miles is going to come down harshly on the university for this.

Nice. While I think Gartner is wrong on many things, I do believe him to have the best interests of Iowans at heart. I am happy to hear that he is not a rubber stamp. I also don't think he is the sort of person you want to have upset with you. This thing could get very interesting if he gets after things.

Reactions: ketelmeister

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Well, we've established that they appear to have covered up the fact to the victim that there was a second football player for approx 2-3 weeks.

The report says that Iowa believed the alleged victim was aware of th second individual, because she had mentioned a second player being in the room during the evening.

As it turned out, those were not the same individual.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I will admit, that Jon is right on this - that the report does substaniate the iowa position that the family agreed to the informal route and does state that the girl was told she could end the informal at any point and press charges. However, I'm thusfar disappointed in the detail - being that only the conclusions are laid out, not how they got to them.

If you read the mother's first letter, especially first two pages, it puts a different spin on them and their deciding to go the former route.

From earlier in the thread:

If you read the first letter from the mother, she mentions in there that they did agree to go the informal route. She then goes on to say the iowa athletic officials told her if she went with the formal process, it would be a long and arduous process. If she went the informal inhouse route, it would be handled immediately. She then goes on to say that nothing was really explained to them about what exactly each process was and what it entailed(sp). She said they were advised her best option was the informal route and, believing at the time they were protecting her and not their already troubled footbal team, was the way she went. Then after almost nothing was done and calls were going unanswerred, she then went to the police.

So reading that, it looks to me like the family did originally agree to go the informal route, but felt pressured to do so by Barta, Mason and possibly Ferentz. With the accusations in the letter saying they really had no clue what each route was other then the informal one was quick and easy and the other two were long and arduous processes. It almost seems to me that those in power abused the power to take advantage of a rape victim who was in a very fragile state of mind and swayed her to go the route that would keep it out of the public eye after a troubled year.

Barta may or may not have asked the victim 3 times if she wanted to go to police. But when you put it in the context above, using her state of mind against her by painting each process in a skewed way, does it surprise you she wanted to go the way that would end quick vs. something that would be long and tough to deal with? Keep in mind that this all is happening within 48 hours of her being brutally raped.

Link to first letter: http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum...eporting-state-iowa-pathetic-letterlowres.pdf

Page 1 and 2 of the letter is where the info is at. Including this quote

During one of these meetings with the above mentioned people it was brought out that this would be the 8th or there had been 8 infractions involving the Football team. In hindsight what did that have to do with anything except that maybe it put the program and the school in some kind of jeopardy if this went Formal.

The last quote would also lend support to a cover up if it is in fact true....

Last edited: