Iowa State an Early 9 Seed In Tournament Prediction

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Has there been any announcement about what the schedule will look like this year with 14 teams? I assume we'll play some opponents only once.

Well, they're not going to play 26 league games.

5 teams 2x and 8 teams 1x is the only way to play everyone while maintaining the 18-game schedule.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Which is why if this happened, I would not want to be in Michigan States shoes as a 1 seed. This ISU team might lose some clunkers they shouldn't, but they also have enough young talent to compete with anybody if things are clicking
Msu will be a tough draw in Pontiac,MI

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
So the most recent Joe Lunardi projected NCAA Tournament bracket has Iowa State as a 9 seed. I would like to think they are a bit higher, but it's hard to tell with such a new lineup. Any predictions on here? Big 12 Conference will be rough this year, as always!

View attachment 113674
Which is why if this happened, I would not want to be in Michigan States shoes as a 1 seed. This ISU team might lose some clunkers they shouldn't, but they also have enough young talent to compete with anybody if things are clicking
I would love to get some revenge on msu although we will never get true payback.
We've got em right where we want em. We are playing the long game.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I get the prediction and would probably sign up for that right now. What I don't get is the thought that ISU is going to be a defensive team and struggle to score again. I think that they take a step back defensively and a pretty big step forward offensively. Gilbert and Jones were proven scorers in the MWC and MAC. Pav was a level down, but he was really good there. Even if they knock a couple of ppg off their average, that is an improvement over Gabe, Holmes and Grill. Lipsey is only going to get better and King will be a solid option inside...better than we've had. And, we're playing with a potential lottery pick in Omaha. This is going to be a team that can score. Not Hoiball score, but a lot closer to that than what we've seen the past few years. I think that we're going to see a lot more 75-70 or 65-62 type games and less in the 50's.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
For the second year in a row, the guys we got are better than the guys we lost.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Well, they're not going to play 26 league games.

5 teams 2x and 8 teams 1x is the only way to play everyone while maintaining the 18-game schedule.

Yep, the only realistic approach. It can't go beyond 18 since non-conference slate is set.

I imagine ISU would get 2'fer with KU, KSU, maybe OSU or WVa, one of the newbies (guessing Cincinnati or BYU) and a non-Houston Texas school. Just a guess.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
from what i have heard I look for Omaha, Tamin, and Gilbert to be our leading scorers with Tre possibly being up there as well..
I expect Tre to just be a dog out there doing the dirty work. Think Jr year Hogue

Reactions: mfelske