Iowa State at West Virginia at 4PM CT - Game Thread (ESPNU)

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Crazy to think we hold our own destiny to winning a Big 12 title. Obviously winning in Waco and Austin will be extremely difficult, but mathematically still there.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Solid sweep of WVU on the road. Final scores are close ish but it didn't feel close watching.

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
It’s great to see the Cyclones playing so well after getting healthy. Hatch is great on offense but big on the Block as well. Wondering about the rotations and maybe someone can explain it. Teams try to serve at Eleanore when she’s in the back row - that big run in the 2nd set was an example. Why does ISU not sub for her?

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
It’s great to see the Cyclones playing so well after getting healthy. Hatch is great on offense but big on the Block as well. Wondering about the rotations and maybe someone can explain it. Teams try to serve at Eleanore when she’s in the back row - that big run in the 2nd set was an example. Why does ISU not sub for her?

I’m not for sure, but it’s more difficult to ration allotted subs during a match when running a 6-2. Also it seems having her as a threat to hit out of the back row outweighs any inconsistencies in serve-receive. I thought she did fine even when they targeted her today. Sometimes the same thing will happen to Duckworth like in the Texas match, but usually they can do enough to warrant themselves staying on the floor full rotation.

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I’m not for sure, but it’s more difficult to ration allotted subs during a match when running a 6-2. Also it seems having her as a threat to hit out of the back row outweighs any inconsistencies in serve-receive. I thought she did fine even when they targeted her today. Sometimes the same thing will happen to Duckworth like in the Texas match, but usually they can do enough to warrant themselves staying on the floor full rotation.
Good points. She did do fine and also had 9 digs. Must be tough when you know that serve is coming your way. I have a lot to learn about the game but am enjoying watching this team!

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
There is no question that the ability of both Duckworth and Holthaus to effectively play the back row has helped enable the success of the 6-2 with its subbing implications. CJL now can play without a DS in the rotation.

Reactions: hiltonisheaven

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
It happens. If you watched Nebraska at Wisconsin tonight, the Huskers went on a 10-1 run when they caught 6’4 Sarah Franklin in the back row and served her. Badger coach never wavered!

Reactions: hiltonisheaven

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
JEALOUS!!! Wanted to go but all sold out. Just watched and that was a fun ass kicking of Nebraska.
My sister can get free tickets since she's in the athletic training program. You should have checked stubhub or tickpick, general admission seats were still available.

Did not expect to sweep them. Should be another good one on Saturday.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
My sister can get free tickets since she's in the athletic training program. You should have checked stubhub or tickpick, general admission seats were still available.

Did not expect to sweep them. Should be another good one on Saturday.

Yeah I thought about it and then yhe 8pm start meant we needed a babysitter for both kids vs taking the older one and I decided not to do the effort. The Minny one should be good too!

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Well I picked that one wrong this week in fantasy league. I enjoy watching WI play. 1666890118495.png

Last edited: