Iowa State seeks to "separate" itself from its 2024 foes via demanding summer workouts

The Rob Gray

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2016
Reactions: Aclone

OwenTLK07

May 13, 2024
Whatever it takes to avoid the slow starts under Campbell.
Agreed, that's what slowed us down in the past. Need to take non-conference seriously this year or else we'll be fighting to keep bowl hopes alive mid-season. starting 3-0 would take a lot of pressure off this year's team, knowing they're still young and growing.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Agreed, that's what slowed us down in the past. Need to take non-conference seriously this year or else we'll be fighting to keep bowl hopes alive mid-season. starting 3-0 would take a lot of pressure off this year's team, knowing they're still young and growing.

It's a one time deal but we learned in '22 that 3-0 doesn't mean much.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
ISU goes deeper into its bench the first few games than any other team I know. I remember watching true freshmen playing in the Iowa game last year when the game was still being decided.

I think Campbell does this to get an early indication of which young guys they can depend on for the upcoming season, to develop real depth before the conference portion of the schedule arrives, and to keep guys fresher over the long marathon. It also does wonders for the team's culture when a large number of players are contributing in every position group.

Unfortunately, it also means the first few games could be a little shaky. As frustrated as I get about this, I guess I'd rather we be operating at full strength toward the end of the season vs the beginning of the season.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
ISU goes deeper into its bench the first few games than any other team I know. I remember watching true freshmen playing in the Iowa game last year when the game was still being decided.

I think Campbell does this to get an early indication of which young guys they can depend on for the upcoming season, to develop real depth before the conference portion of the schedule arrives, and to keep guys fresher over the long marathon. It also does wonders for the team's culture when a large number of players are contributing in every position group.

Unfortunately, it also means the first few games could be a little shaky. As frustrated as I get about this, I guess I'd rather we be operating at full strength toward the end of the season vs the beginning of the season.
Completely agreed. For years now it's been clear to me that Campbell believes the best season-long strategy is to use the non-con as a means of preparing for the conference schedule. And, to be fair, any significant success starts with winning your conference so he may be right.

I've basically treat non-con games the same way I treat NFL preseason games: look for young guys who stand out and hope nobody gets injured.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015

With all that said, I sure wish we'd play Iowa at the end of each season rather than the beginning.

Reactions: CyNews and Proton

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
With all that said, I sure wish we'd play Iowa at the end of each season rather than the beginning.
Do both schools wish to continue (or better stated, will they continue) the rivalry, with their new conference scheduling?

OwenTLK07

May 13, 2024
Do both schools wish to continue (or better stated, will they continue) the rivalry, with their new conference scheduling?
I hope so
Don’t think rivalries would be effected by it…
As of now no changes have been made to it

Apr 22, 2023
And why not? Georgia plays Georgia Tech at the end of the season. Clemson plays South Carolina at the end of the season. But somehow the Big 10 would not allow this to happen.

Reactions: CyNews

OwenTLK07

May 13, 2024
I would like to add also the ISU KSt. rivalry will be ending I think around 2029 so who knows where this one will go...
But that's an ancient century-old rivalry which sucks.

• Disagree
Reactions: Aclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I think Iowa was laying the groundwork to get out of the cyhawk game when they chose 3 protected rivals in the B10.
Whatever the rationale fans try to come up with, the State Legislature isn’t going to allow that to happen.

And both schools know it, both have mentioned it. You should have heard Jamie toss that out every once in a while.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Love what Gray writes. Thanks!

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I would like to add also the ISU KSt. rivalry will be ending I think around 2029 so who knows where this one will go...
But that's an ancient century-old rivalry which sucks.
Exsqueeze me, wut?

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I can live with that. That's much different than ending it altogether. One of the things we have to deal with in our new conference. Thx for the reminder.
On social media you would think they passed a law that we could never play K State again….

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone and t-noah

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron