Iowa State Student Health Center Receives Scathing Report

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
They probably have a severally crimped budget as compared to most hospitals. Health care is extremely expensive and providing that "adequately" even to healthy young population is expensive.

I had a decent doctor the few times I went but I think he was also the sports teams physician. He didn't have a lot of time but what doctor does these days.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Antibiotics for everything from a cough to a missing limb.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
SIAP

In the early 70's we called the ISU student health center the "Meat Lab"
When I went to ISU, I think most of the Doctors at the meat lab were one step away from losing their physicians license

Looks like the health center hasn't improved any over the years

Iowa State Student Health Making Changes After Scathing Report

Click on "Skip the Survey" to read the article

Good to know some things always remain the same. Heard so many poor experiences about things there, and that was 10 years ago, amazing it hasnt caught up to them sooner.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
always heard it referred to as student death. Never went there myself. Not even sure I knew where it was located.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I had a popped bursal sac after falling hard on my elbow a few years back. I kid you not the swelling was the size somewhere between a golfball and racquetball on the end of my elbow, obviously not ok. I went into the student health center and the doctor told me it was 'normal bruising and swelling' and to take ibuprofen. When I said "I'm sorry but I know this is not normal, I have fallen on or around my elbows many times throughout my life and this has never happened." He just looked at me and stared then looked back down at his clipboard and said, "So you want to do my job now?" I didn't have anything to say to that, so I left the room right there and went to the ER, where they properly diagnosed and drained my elbow in the same amount of time it took for me to get into the SHC for an appointment. Just absolutely terrible, and I am glad it has come to light.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
the old joke "what do you call the graduate with the worst gpa in medical school?"

Doctor.

now we know where some of these people end up apparently

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I never went there since I was covered in college under my parents health care. I would go to McFarland.

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
I can relate to this too well.

I went in the Friday of dead week with bronchitis (I used to get it at least twice a year so I knew what it was and what treatment worked)and a fever of 100 degrees. I saw a doctor who told me it was just a cold. I protested, telling them I get bronchitis twice a year and this was not a cold and asked for antibiotics. I got a lecture from the doctor on the risks of antibiotic resistance and how I didn't know what I was talking about. When I was leaving, I was told that I should call back if my fever gets to 103. I went to my regular doctor in Des Moines the next day because I felt horrible. They told me if I waited any longer I would likely have had pneumonia.

Never went back to student death after that experience.

CivilJ

Nov 30, 2008
The one time I stopped in they told me my torn ACL was a slight sprain. Cool, thanks guys.

This happened to me too! What disappoints me is I see this quack on the sidelines with the football and basketball team.

hoiballin33

Nov 7, 2014
Never used the student health center. Seemed sketchy, this just backs it up. Would have rather gone to Mary Greeley.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
In college, my wife went into Student Death with a big cut on her arm from an on campus event. The lady at the front looked at her, and said they couldn't help. Told us to "go somewhere else."