Iowa State Transfer/Recruiting Class 2023

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Gilbert and Pav sure look like they'll be able to do a lot more than Grill or even Gabe with it in their hands. Not saying they'll be better than Gabe right away, he was awesome this year, but I do think both Gilbert and Pav have more of that in their skillset.
Grill and Gabe were amazing defenders and when they were hot look out. I'm hoping Gilbert and Pav can be a little more consistent offensively and at least drive the lane and draw more fouls or finish at the rim and put pressure on the defense. Teams were selling all out and Grill and Gabe shooting and they couldn't make teams pay. Not saying they will have the highs of Grill or Gabe and probably not as good defensively (the first year) but having the ability to create off the bounce more than those 2 could will be a big bonus.

Reactions: t-noah

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Gilbert and Pav sure look like they'll be able to do a lot more than Grill or even Gabe with it in their hands. Not saying they'll be better than Gabe right away, he was awesome this year, but I do think both Gilbert and Pav have more of that in their skillset.
first we have to get them to commit ..... or we'll never know

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Grill and Gabe were amazing defenders and when they were hot look out. I'm hoping Gilbert and Pav can be a little more consistent offensively and at least drive the lane and draw more fouls or finish at the rim and put pressure on the defense. Teams were selling all out and Grill and Gabe shooting and they couldn't make teams pay. Not saying they will have the highs of Grill or Gabe and probably not as good defensively (the first year) but having the ability to create off the bounce more than those 2 could will be a big bonus.

Gilbert and Gabe seem like basically the same player. Great defense, streaky on offensive end

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I think our guards were good straight up defenders. I think it had more to do with our need to create turnovers as we were somewhat offensively challenged.
This. I think the last 2 years TJ looked at his limited roster and found a way to manufacture wins with that aggressive half court defense. Lots of double teams and traps to force turnovers and get easy baskets. But it was high risk-high reward. If teams took care of the ball and spread us out we ended up with games like Iowa and home vs OU where they made tons of wide open looks and shot us out of the gym. It allowed us to be really good in the non-con both years but Big 12 teams seem to have figured it out.

I expect TJ and his staff to adjust as recruiting improves and he builds better rosters.

SoleCyclone

Mar 26, 2022
Gilbert and Gabe seem like basically the same player. Great defense, streaky on offensive end
Gilbert was better in every statistical category last year beside the overall volume of shots. A year in which Gabe was an all-big12 player. Not to mention he has more athletic ability and a better ball handler

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
This. I think the last 2 years TJ looked at his limited roster and found a way to manufacture wins with that aggressive half court defense. Lots of double teams and traps to force turnovers and get easy baskets. But it was high risk-high reward. If teams took care of the ball and spread us out we ended up with games like Iowa and home vs OU where they made tons of wide open looks and shot us out of the gym. It allowed us to be really good in the non-con both years but Big 12 teams seem to have figured it out.

I expect TJ and his staff to adjust as recruiting improves and he builds better rosters.
Another common denominator for the Iowa and UCONN games - referees blew the whistle early and often, putting us in foul trouble

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston

Nailed it. Just look at the top teams every year. They don't double like we do. They may double in spots like on the baseline but it is basically straight up.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
CW mentioned on the Sunday night pod that Williams and ISU are "not a fit"

He expects a commitment from Jackson Paveletzke

There was mention of a third kid, who Kyle Green has known for awhile... Any investigative journalists out there?

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019

There was mention of a third kid, who Kyle Green has known for awhile... Any investigative journalists out there?
i know i know i know i know

you can probably put some context clues together if you rummage some other places

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA

Three schollies will probably go to:
Keshon Gilbert from UNLV
Jackson Paveletzke from Wofford
Curtis Jones from Buffalo