Iowa State Uniform Discussions

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
If they are real (and that’s a huge if), they are too 49ers-esque for me. Just becuase Purdy plays there doesn’t mean we have to base the entire uniform package off of it.

We are due for the new Nike template though
How are those 49ers-esque?

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
It’s funny that Southern Cal never hears they look like McDonalds. We have the same colors. Their football uniforms were similar to our mid 00’s ones with different striping. They get benefit of doubt because they are blue bloods.
They have a deeper red. We went McDonald's red and yellow in the 80s.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
They have a deeper red. We went McDonald's red and yellow in the 80s.
They do not, actually. Since the mid 00’s rebrand along w/ the I-State logo, the “shade” of Cardinal (along w/ the specific Nike scheme) is virtually identical to USC. The difference has been the “gold”.

It’s why the Rhoads era uniforms literally looked exactly like USC; because it’s the same color.

Edit: To add - one of the most embarrassing periods of Cyclone uniform history is the early 00’s initial Nike contract - where quite literally Iowa State signed an agreement (perhaps Van De Velde initially?) with Nike to use their off-the-rack “red” and “yellow” colors. The type of contract a high school team might have, ya know, to save money. Because it’s, ya know, literally just a generic ass-color off the rack. The 2003+ football uniforms… the 2003+ basketball uniforms… 100% McDonald’s. It was embarrassing :puke: Even the “tertiary navy blue” became nearly just the normal color blue from Nike. That’s how cheap we went…

Reactions: aauummm

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
They do not, actually. Since the mid 00’s rebrand along w/ the I-State logo, the “shade” of Cardinal (along w/ the specific Nike scheme) is virtually identical to USC. The difference has been the “gold”.

It’s why the Rhoads era uniforms literally looked exactly like USC; because it’s the same color.
Right, my use of "deeper" wasn't clear. Their red is deeper than the ketchup/mustard McDonald's colors. We were ketchup/mustard in the Chizik era before the Rhoads era as you mentioned. We made the right choice to go back to the more traditional, darker cardinal.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I could do without the white collar, but white numbers are a must. The cardinal/gold with no white is butt ugly
Outside of the Minnesota and this mock up do you have any game photos of others similar to this? Not disagreeing, I’m just having a hard time envisioning a full uniform set.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

Edit: To add - one of the most embarrassing periods of Cyclone uniform history is the early 00’s initial Nike contract - where quite literally Iowa State signed an agreement (perhaps Van De Velde initially?) with Nike to use their off-the-rack “red” and “yellow” colors. The type of contract a high school team might have, ya know, to save money. Because it’s, ya know, literally just a generic ass-color off the rack. The 2003+ football uniforms… the 2003+ basketball uniforms… 100% McDonald’s. It was embarrassing :puke: Even the “tertiary navy blue” became nearly just the normal color blue from Nike. That’s how cheap we went…
I think part of the problem was how we wore our unis at that time too.

We only had a cardinal helmet, then wore all gold head to toe, with a cardinal helmet. That look was bad. And because of Ronald McDs costume being all yellow, with red hair it was bad.

That look with a Gold helmet would have been ok. mixing the colors would have been ok. White pants, gold jersey, Gold pants cardinal jersey etc. But the all gold with cardinal helmet was bad.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I was in the "Meh" camp when first seeing the stripes. After seeing the potential full jersey mock-up, I'm starting to like them. I hope the pants have some striping as well.
Those look amazing!!!

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Gotta put some white in the helmet too right? I would. PLEASE give me a gold-white-gold stripe down the middle on the cardinal helmet!! Make the I in the logo white too…. keep STATE gold.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The away and the black look great. Something about that home jersey just doesn't do it for me though.

For me it’s too much white and gold next to one another. It’s fine for the numbers, but on the sleeves it’s just too much.

Really liking the concept, though - and I kinda hope the hidden version is black with cardinal/gold.

• Agree
Reactions: cytor

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
For me it’s too much white and gold next to one another. It’s fine for the numbers, but on the sleeves it’s just too much.

Really liking the concept, though - and I kinda hope the hidden version is black with cardinal/gold.
I like some white in the uniforms. We had it our history. look at the the 70s uni's. The problem with gold, is we always end up with some ugly @ss version of yellow and it looks like hell.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

I tend to agree. There was something about it that bugged me, but I couldn't specify -- I think that's what it is. Probably would look better with 3 gold/2 white stripes, gold on top & bottom.

That strays a bit from the away jersey's arrangement as far as stripe/numeral color arrangement, but a minor element that could make a a positive difference.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I was in the "Meh" camp when first seeing the stripes. After seeing the potential full jersey mock-up, I'm starting to like them. I hope the pants have some striping as well.
4 shoulder stripes is one too many. 3 would be far preferred.

And if there is a white number on the Cardinal jersey, you cannot have all Cardinal pants with no striping. That would look awful. All white pants would be fine.