Iowa State Uniform Discussions

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
I assume that any point in time, no matter the day, if you hit Ctrl+V it will be this picture.

The poor little logo just wants to be loved!! "Hey guys! I'm here too! Do you think, someday, maybe I could be in one of your concepts?"

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I still don’t understand the black collar. Bleh.

Something like this...

kc1211-118430_1@2x.jpg
We get rid of the black collar, everyone will starting *itching about how they liked it before, w/ the black collar. We can't have everything we want individually.

Coach likes black; I think the black collar is great, breaks up the cardinal. Am I the only one who likes it? I guess we will have to wait for the season to play out, see how he further utilizes black.

Black has a little "attitude" w/ it also. And I think it is done tastefully around the neck. And how would the car above look w/ red tires and window frame? Yeah too much red!!

I am a little concerned we may get too much black for my tastes, as there is no gold option. I like the gold option better than black; a little black is OK.

I'm not complaining about the black collar. Wait till we see (if we see) some of the black jersey combos w/ cardinal. I don't think they will look that good; then we will see more complaining!

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
We get rid of the black collar, everyone will starting *itching about how they liked it before, w/ the black collar. We can't have everything we want individually.

Coach likes black; I think the black collar is great, breaks up the cardinal. Am I the only one who likes it? I guess we will have to wait for the season to play out, see how he further utilizes black.

Black has a little "attitude" w/ it also. And I think it is done tastefully around the neck. And how would the car above look w/ red tires and window frame? Yeah too much red!!

I am a little concerned we may get too much black for my tastes, as there is no gold option. I like the gold option better than black; a little black is OK.

I'm not complaining about the black collar. Wait till we see (if we see) some of the black jersey combos w/ cardinal. I don't think they will look that good; then we will see more complaining!
I think a lot of people feel that why black accents? Kinda like the blue accents years ago, black is not a color of ISU, If you want to break up the Cardinal, use Gold, if you want to break up the Gold, use Cardinal. A little outlining of black here and there might be ok, but the wide black color seems out of place a bit.
I for one don't like the idea of mixing in the black unis, and I hope they dont, Leave the blacks as all black for a Black out game, special uni, but dont wear black top with red pants or black helmet with white unis, etc. Black is not our color, it is a special uni combo and should stay that way. But that is just my opinion.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I think a lot of people feel that why black accents? Kinda like the blue accents years ago, black is not a color of ISU, If you want to break up the Cardinal, use Gold, if you want to break up the Gold, use Cardinal. A little outlining of black here and there might be ok, but the wide black color seems out of place a bit.
I for one don't like the idea of mixing in the black unis, and I hope they dont, Leave the blacks as all black for a Black out game, special uni, but dont wear black top with red pants or black helmet with white unis, etc. Black is not our color, it is a special uni combo and should stay that way. But that is just my opinion.

What happened to using white?

iowa-state-flower-wallpaper6.jpg

DdZ-P4yUQAA_Vdd.jpg

No one else looked like the Cyclones. I loved how unique the old school uniforms were.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I understand and respect your (and others) opinion. I largely share it w/ the black jerseys and helmet, as I don't think they will mix well w/ school colors. But we haven't seen the black combos yet, so don't really know what coach is planning there.

I just think the black collar is OK. I would have been happy if they chose a cardinal and gold collar on the red jersey, but they didn't. Coach likes the black so I'm good w/ it and don't think it is too much of a big deal. Definitely not like the blue accent under Mac; black being "neutral".

We'll see how much more black we get. A whole lot more and then it is not so neutral anymore.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I understand and respect your (and others) opinion. I largely share it w/ the black jerseys and helmet, as I don't think they will mix well w/ school colors. But we haven't seen the black combos yet, so don't really know what coach is planning there.

I just think the black collar is OK. I would have been happy if they chose a cardinal and gold collar on the red jersey, but they didn't. Coach likes the black so I'm good w/ it and don't think it is too much of a big deal. Definitely not like the blue accent under Mac; black being "neutral".

We'll see how much more black we get. A whole lot more and then it is not so neutral anymore.

I think you would have to admit the collar on the road jersey is a million times better than the generic and "neutral" black with the current home jersey.

And black is never somehow neutral with Iowa State.

Reactions: 2speedy1

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The black collar will look great when we go Black Helmet/Red Facemask/Red Jersey/Black Pants/Red Socks/Black Shoes

You rang, master? Cy Uniforms 2018  c5a - b r b   Blk chr hel Std ISt Red-Blk socks Red chr face CY.jpg
But if we are going to mix black and red, I would rather see this first, r/r/b, as there is more cardinal to love, and less black. Cy Uniforms 2018  c4a - r r b   Red chr hel Std I-St Red-Blk socks Blk chr face CY.jpg

So now we can see more clearly why Coach might have wanted the black collar, because it does transition well, if mixing other black elements.. But we haven't seen any black combos yet so ???, stay tuned.

• Agree
Reactions: Magic and CYCLNST8

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
You rang, master? View attachment 59404
But if we are going to mix black and red, I would rather see this first, r/r/b, as there is more cardinal to love, and less black. View attachment 59405

So now we can see more clearly why Coach might have wanted the black collar, because it does transition well, if mixing other black elements.. But we haven't seen any black combos yet so ???, stay tuned.

Thank you! I bet they'd use a black facemask if they go R/R/B. They're already using black chinstraps.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I think you would have to admit the collar on the road jersey is a million times better than the generic and "neutral" black with the current home jersey.

And black is never somehow neutral with Iowa State.
Can't really argue with you there!

Maybe I'll mess around w/ and 'alternative' collar on the Home jersey. White won't work though unless you re-design the whole thing.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Thank you! I bet they'd use a black facemask if they go R/R/B. They're already using black chinstraps.
You're welcome! And whenever they do decide to start doing black combos (if they do), it will be less appealing if they don't put a cardinal/gold logo on the helmet. It would be a lot of extra work; are they willing to do that?

Keeping the white/silver I-State logo on the black helmet with a b/r/b combo would not be as good; and again less cardinal and gold. I'm for more school colors, not less.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

CySanka3

Jan 15, 2014
Chicago
Black is a great accent shade to Red and Yellow (Cardinal and Gold). Just ask Germany, and Belgium; I'm all for it!

If Iowa wasn't black i bet there would very little complaint. Given that statement, it feels the younger fan likes the black as they don't care and/or identify it straight to Iowa as much as the older fans do who had to live (more like suffer) through the bad days of Hayden Fry tavern hawkism.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
What happened to using white?

iowa-state-flower-wallpaper6.jpg

DdZ-P4yUQAA_Vdd.jpg

No one else looked like the Cyclones. I loved how unique the old school uniforms were.

Regarding team photo: Imagine if ISU adopted the triple-stripe high socks for a throwback uniform. (Some of us are old enough to have worn those socks for football and basketball).

Action pic: That was a decent look, overall. I'd swap the should stripes so it's two golds and one white (more closely matches the pants and helmet stripes --- white in the center of both).

Reactions: CYCLNST8

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The black collar is barely noticeable in full gear considering the players generally wear black shoulder pads anyway. Where it looks really weird is when the jersey is stand alone, and for that reason alone I kind of wish they had done something different with the collar than to to make it a color that doesn't generally go with either the white or cardinal pants.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I want to clarify, I don't necessarily hate the black collar or the black accents. I do think of it as a neutral color. I also like white to be used in the same manor, and would like to see more of it. I was just stating how I can see and have heard what some are saying about using it, and the extra wide plane black collar seems a little out of place, as more of a feature than an accent. I do see how the black collar will tie in other uni pieces, although that is one aspect I hope we don't do, although, looking at some of the mock-ups they do look decent how they tie together.
I do really like how the white uni collars look. I also hope to see more alternates in the future but that may be kept as just alternates and not interchanged into other unis. I do know we all talk and criticize the unis a lot but that is part of the fun of all of this, whether we all agree or not.
And ultimately I wish we were tying in a gold helmet. I have always liked our gold helmets, whether we go to a "yellow" gold that we use today or an updated version of our classic metallic gold of our history.