Iowa State Uniform Discussions

TrailCy

Mar 3, 2021
Not sure if anybody has posted, but this website has a bunch of Jack Trice shoes for sale. No affiliation, just stubmbled across it.

View attachment 115392
View attachment 115393
I really like the trice stripes but I've noticed they're hard to incorporate into clothing because the lines are so sharply pointed it stands out. I was thinking about getting a cyclone tattoo of this but the tattoo artist said all the straight lines would probably not look as good as I think they would.

Last edited:

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
I really like the trice stripes but I've noticed they're hard to incorporate into clothing because the lines are so sharply pointed it stands out. I was thinking about getting a cyclone tattoo of this but the tattoo artist set all the straight lines would probably not look as good as I think they would.
Yeah it's more of a badge because it's so square shaped. Like you would never use it on your helmet in place of the I State logo. You have to take the elements of the bars and translate it into accents to the uniform.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
I think the throwback unis are already saturating the market lol. I still think our helmets and pants could use a stripe but the generic shoulder stripes everyone and their mom are doing this year is boring.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I really like the trice stripes but I've noticed they're hard to incorporate into clothing because the lines are so sharply pointed it stands out. I was thinking about getting a cyclone tattoo of this but the tattoo artist set all the straight lines would probably not look as good as I think they would.
There is something jarring about it. I would be more likely to wear something with a smaller patch than a huge logo on the front

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I think the throwback unis are already saturating the market lol. I still think our helmets and pants could use a stripe but the generic shoulder stripes everyone and their mom are doing this year is boring.
There is only so much you can do with football jerseys. Most people are going to lean toward the traditional. We've had our fill of the Oregon stuff, and it's tacky in today's tastes.

Small accents/different logos are really the only way to differentiate yourself. It's too bad ISU seems hesitant to incorporate alternate logos. The basketball program is using the old basketball Cy a lot. Hopefully we see the football program open up to simple things like switching up the helmet logos. That's an easy switch that doesn't break the budget.

1238576073jb

Jul 4, 2021
There is only so much you can do with football jerseys. Most people are going to lean toward the traditional. We've had our fill of the Oregon stuff, and it's tacky in today's tastes.

Small accents/different logos are really the only way to differentiate yourself. It's too bad ISU seems hesitant to incorporate alternate logos. The basketball program is using the old basketball Cy a lot. Hopefully we see the football program open up to simple things like switching up the helmet logos. That's an easy switch that doesn't break the budget.
Stickers are ******* cheap, Jamie!

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Sharp!

This is probably the nearest I've ever seen helmet gold & pants gold match up - pretty darn close - probably not so much in daylight - but, a sharp uniform nonetheless - love the white block numbers on the black
White numbers is the way...

• Winner
Reactions: clonedude

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It's possible one/more of our design experts here has posted the following combo, if not/so I'd like to see it again - using our current template, i.e, no major redesign tweaks (striping or logo changes) or alteration of hue.

White helmet
Cardinal jersey
White numerals with gold trim
Gold pants
Cardinal socks
White shoes (I'm ok with black, if white makes the uniform too heavy on "alternating pattern")

Reactions: SolarGarlic

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Sharp!

This is probably the nearest I've ever seen helmet gold & pants gold match up - pretty darn close - probably not so much in daylight - but, a sharp uniform nonetheless - love the white block numbers on the black
Definitely sharp. I hate to use the overused term "clean," but ... it is. Or maybe "simple-sharp"

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I love how everybody is going back to the origins. And the people that worry about unis wet themselves. And then something new is introduced and OMG, so great/horrible.

I wonder how long down the road it will be that you can customize the uniforms like a video game. You'll have to wear goggles to view them as they will all just wear basic greenscreen. But then the kids that grew up wasting money customizing video game players can do it to their live sporting teams.

Reactions: beentherebefore

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
There hasn’t been real ISU uniform news in this thread for a minute… we can’t be too far off from a new batch of ISU uniforms right? Feels like I remember hearing new ones are in the way within the next few years but don’t know if that’s right.

1238576073jb

Jul 4, 2021
There hasn’t been real ISU uniform news in this thread for a minute… we can’t be too far off from a new batch of ISU uniforms right? Feels like I remember hearing new ones are in the way within the next few years but don’t know if that’s right.
We can only hope something is in the queue, but I'm not holding my breath

1238576073jb

Jul 4, 2021
It's possible one/more of our design experts here has posted the following combo, if not/so I'd like to see it again - using our current template, i.e, no major redesign tweaks (striping or logo changes) or alteration of hue.

White helmet
Cardinal jersey
White numerals with gold trim
Gold pants
Cardinal socks
White shoes (I'm ok with black, if white makes the uniform too heavy on "alternating pattern")
@t-noah FTW

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I have nothing to base this off of, but my guess is next year. Next year the big 12 is supposed to have a re-brand, I think the Trice throwbacks and Ames apparel will be a success, and I could see the football program wanting to create a new image. I'm a bit sad we abandoned those shiny red helmets. It seems like in the past each year we would try something new and then we never tried it again.

I still want to know what happened to the helmet stickers. I can't be the only one that just saw them vanish out of nowhere.
december-30-2017-memphis-tn-usa-iowa-state-wr-allen-lazard-5-look-KW8HJR.jpg

1196372410.jpeg

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
@t-noah FTW

Those are so much better. The gold is beautiful. Only thing I'd change is maybe a cardinal or gold helmet.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
We seem content with what we have. Hopefully we get an update to the current jersey next season. We've settled into the W/C/W as our primary jersey, which I like, but we need to add something small to the pants.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
@t-noah FTW

Ah, yes, now I remember seeing that. My long-term memory is only good for the short-term. :)