Iowa State Uniform Discussions

bgprest

Aug 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I don't think we'll get 4 helmets in the near future (unless we are Oregon). Helmets are pretty expensive and each one has to be custom fitted.

We would have to get rid of the black helmet (not doing with this coach)(and I like the black unis), to add gold. Or go to 4 helmets.
Or... I might be willing to sacrifice the white helmets to have gold ones.

bgprest

Aug 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Technically we could have green uniforms and it'd be within our primary pallete. For some reason.

Funny at the end where they talk about color combos to avoid:
"Colors associated with other public institutions, such as the one on the eastern side of the state, should not be used. Even though gold is one of Iowa State's primary colors, use of black and gold together should be avoided. Purple is not within any of Iowa State's color palettes and should never be used."
So those black helmets with the i-state logo are prohibited. But this is for the university side more than anything. The athletic department seems to do whatever they want.
All set for Farmageddon - Ireland edition...

Reactions: Cyclonsin

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
View attachment 128666
I like the new unis just fine, but these are the standard and should be recreated.
Now that's an old school FB stadium and field! And yes, those were good unis, and why we changed colors is pretty unreal, when you think about it.

Looking at the very good detail of the endzone, it is amazing what the grass must go thru (with all that paint). Had to have about killed it by the end of the year. Look at the red letters of the endzone, one step before dead and gone. LOL

Reactions: SolarGarlic

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Now that's an old school FB stadium and field! And yes, those were good unis, and why we changed colors is pretty unreal, when you think about it.

Looking at the very good detail of the endzone, it is amazing what the grass must go thru (with all that paint). Had to have about killed it by the end of the year. Look at the red letters of the endzone, one step before dead and gone. LOL
JTS had artificial turf at the time of that picture.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Maybe it’s my age but yikes those are gross. We would get roasted if we rolled out dirty brown mustard pants.
Obviously the gear would be updated to modern standards. They wouldn't look as dirty and shoddy as the pic. The helmet and the jersey colors are dead on and the pants aren't far off. Mustard is so much better than our bright ass yellow. Those pants are clearly not brown when you look at the matching helmet.

• Love
Reactions: cycloneML

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
View attachment 128674

The reviews for these babies were all positive. Plus we punked Iowa that day with five field goals. Twas a good day.
Those are the 2nd best pants ever worn behind the initial "old gold" Trice throwbacks. They were awesome

When ISU converted to the I-State logo with new unis back then, the initial mockups had replicated these pants but unfortunately when the real ones were revealed, they had the bright gold/yellow. It is hard to understand why Nike couldn't have had exact replicas of these and why ISU didn't demand them.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
When ISU converted to the I-State logo with new unis back then, the initial mockups had replicated these pants but unfortunately when the real ones were revealed, they had the bright gold/yellow. It is hard to understand why Nike couldn't have had exact replicas of these and why ISU didn't demand them.
It was "advertised" as this, correct?

new-uniforms.0.jpg

1238576073jb

Jul 4, 2021
Yes, that is the pic I was referring to. Thx for posting!
I don’t think they wanted those exact colors — this is just a shopped photo of Bret Meyer from the throwback game against Iowa — Nike could certainly make them (they already had), but that’s not what the school wanted

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I don’t think they wanted those exact colors — this is just a shopped photo of Bret Meyer from the throwback game against Iowa — Nike could certainly make them (they already had), but that’s not what the school wanted
As posted earlier, ISU should have pushed for those used in that game vs TOE and as depicted in the Meyer photo. Much better look IMO.

Reactions: cycloneML

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
It is a bit mismatched but the cardinal helmet as a standalone is a good looking helmet in my opinion. I hate white facemasks. It looks like you're wearing a toy helmet. Some white accents on the helmet might work.
Agree, stripe(s), not a white face mask.

Reactions: SolarGarlic