***Iowa State vs. Green Bay NCAA Tournament Game Thread***

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Wow. That was almost too close for comfort. They found a way to pull it out — that part was impressive. Could have rolled over several times, but stuck with it.

It was exactly the sort of game-flow I feared — getting in a hole early and having the game nip-and-tuck deep in the second half. GB had Virginia in a bigger hole, later in the game, so at least it got to a manageable deficit long before that point. I thought the Sisters looked really tight in the first half.

Second half was much better, but even so, we'd get some momentum and they'd knock down a shot. Couldn't hit FT's and get over the hump.

A big upset at home would've been a bummer to end the season, but I almost would have been more bummed to not have a shot at UConn. Looks like a big mountain to climb, but this team has nothing to lose!

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Just back from the game. I told everyone I could that GB would be no pushover and I was right. During the game I think I had a mild heart attack. We were very fortunate to win. Everyone played a part to get the job done. Now it's on to Ohio in the Sweet Sixteen BABY!

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
IMHO, the decisive UWGB's turn over when Howisch's stepped off the court was a testament of the Lacey's toughness as well as BF's legacy in instilling the mental toughness. At moments like this when the game is on the line, you can't make any mental mistakes.
No offense to Howisch, she could be unlucky, but Lacey was calm: she knew what she needed to do, forcing Howisch to step off the court.

Someone mentioned about 2-1-2 defense employed by UWGB and how similar it is to K-State defense that we had problems with during the Big 12 season.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I wonder if BF felt like he was looking in a mirror playing Green Bay. The story behind GB's team and how it got here is similar to how Bill's past teams played.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
What do you guys think: Should it have been a block call on Lacey along the baseline with 14 seconds left? It was an awfully close call, and I wouldn't have been at all suprised to see them call it a block. It looked like she was moving her feet, but may have ridden the opposing player out a bit.

Either way, they didn't get the call, probably thanks to the fan support!

Not even close - Lacey had established her position along the baseline and the UWGB player was trying to force herself into a space that didn't exist. Either she was going to foul or step out of bounds, and of course she did the latter. Defense doesn't get better than what was exhibited in the final seconds of that game last night.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
It could have gone either way. My wife and I looked at each other after watching the replay and we felt pretty lucky. Look at it from this perspective - how were the officials calling tight defense. They were allowing both teams to body up on the offensive player - Green Bay was just taking advantage of that more. Here Aus did.

There were calls that should have been made that weren't that worked in both team's favor. Denae should have had a chance for the four point play but didn't get the call, for example.

After watching the replay, I felt like the bump came after GB had already stepped out of bounds. She had barely touched the end line, and then Lacey gave her a little bump. If she had managed to keep that foot inbounds, it may have been a foul instead of a turnover.